As the New York Giants took the field on Wednesday, they did so with four additional players. The team announced that Gilbert Pena (DT, Mississippi), Steve Greene (G, Connecticut), John Sullen (G, Auburn) and Everett Dawkins (DT, Florida State) had all been invited to attend on a tryout basis.
Pena, a 6'4'', 317 lbs. nose tackle who signed as an undrafted rookie free agent with the Green Bay Packers in 2013, has no NFL regular season experience to date. However, in addition to his brief stint with the Packers, Pena also spent a little time with the New England Patriots, seeing action in multiple preseason games a year ago.
Greene, a 6'5'', 308 lbs. guard who went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, spent some time with the Washington Redskins earlier this year on a tryout basis. Ultimately, he went unsigned.
Sullen, a versatile 6'5'', 315 lbs. offensive lineman originally signed with the Cincinnati Bengals as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2013. However, he was released as a part of the team's final cuts last September and has not caught on anywhere since.
Dawkins, a 6'2'', 300 lbs. defensive tackle who went undrafted in the 2013 NFL Draft, initially signed with the Minnesota Vikings as an undrafted rookie free agent. Earlier this offseason, he spent some time with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but was waived late last week.
A training camp invite does not necessarily mean a contract offer is pending, nor do the invitees count against the 90-man roster. Should any eventually sign, a corresponding transaction would have to take place.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Ex-Giants CB Aaron Ross Will Join Baltimore Ravens During Mini-Camp on Tryout Basis
- New York Giants Worked Out 10+ Players on Wednesday; Signed None: Report
- New York Giants’ Chris Snee Sidelined for Mini-Camp with Lingering Elbow Issues
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c6i