On Sunday night, the bandwagon emptied and haters rejoiced — the Miami Heat and their superstar, LeBron James, were defeated at the hands of Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs, ending a wildly lopsided NBA Finals. And for the New York Giants, that could be quite a positive omen.
While many will be quick to dismiss it as nothing more than a mere coincidence, the Giants have historically had success when LeBron James doesn't. In fact, each of the last two times a James-led team lost in the NBA Finals (Cleveland Cavaliers in 2006-2007, Miami Heat in 2010-2011), Big Blue went on to hoist the Lombardi Trophy.
We know, we know … that's some sort of wild superstition, a random coincidence, it holds no water, yada, yada. To most, the idea that LeBron losing somehow cosmically ties into the Giants winning is a laughable notion. And you're probably right… But it doesn't change the reality that, up until and including this moment, one has been synonymous with the other.
And it's not as if odd streaks are unheard of in the NFL. From 1936 through 2000, the Washington Redskins correctly "predicted" the outcome of every single Presidential Election based on the result of their last home game prior to said election. And in total, they have correctly predicted the outcome in 18 of the last 20 Presidential Elections.
So, is the LeBron James correlation completely nonsensical? Coincidental, yes. Nonsensical and a figment of the imagination? Well… Time will tell, won't it?
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Ex-Giant Will Hill Destroyed New Jersey Rental Home, Refused to Pay for Damages: Report
- New York Giants Sign Former Miami Dolphins OL John Jerry
- New York Giants’ Spencer Paysinger, Charles James Critical of NFL Penalizing Goalpost Celebrations
- Former New York Giants DE Adewale Ojomo Arrested in Miami for Soliciting a Prostitute
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c3a