Former New York Giants cornerback Terrell Thomas made a miraculous return to the game a year ago, playing an entire season after returning from his third ACL tear (second consecutive). In the process, he became only the second player in NFL history to accomplish such a feat, joining Carolina Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis as the other.
Now a free agent and looking for work, Thomas once again finds himself hampered by his knee — not because it's causing him trouble, but because it's scaring some teams off.
“I understand that [it scares some teams off],” Thomas said during an interview on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “But I played in 18 games last year, and I’ve still got tread left on these tires.”
Thomas, who actually won an NFC Defensive Player of the Week award last year, also realizes his job search may continue for a while longer because of his history with knee injuries. However, when the time does come and his name is called, he feels he'll be more than ready to step on the field and rev it up to 100.
“This NFL game is not loyal,” Thomas said. “It’s a part of business. I understand it and I respect it. As a veteran, I’m a plug-in starter. I don’t need to go through OTAs, through minicamps to get reps. . . . I can go in and play right now. So I’ll be ready whenever my number’s called, whenever the right team picks me. All I need is one team to love me. All I need is one team to give me an opportunity. My play speaks for itself.”
Knee concerns aside, Thomas remains one of the best available cornerbacks on the market and should be able to find himself a place to play prior to the start of the season. And so long as he can remain healthy, his 2014 contributions likely come at a bargain price for someone.
T2 has previously visited with the Oakland Raiders, Detroit Lions, Carolina Panthers and New England Patriots.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants CB Terrell Thomas Met with Carolina Panthers on Tuesday
- Former New York Giants CB Terrell Thomas Had Tryout with New England Patriots
- Former New York Giants CB Terrell Thomas Works Out for Detroit Lions
- Terrell Thomas Open to Taking a Hometown Discount to Return to New York Giants in 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c36