June 13th, 2014 at 11:15 AM

The news was expected to be bad and that's exactly what it was for the New York Giants, as linebacker Jon Beason will miss 12 weeks with a ligament tear and sesamoid fracture of his right foot.

“It’s just one of those things – you have freak injuries,” Beason said. “I was just changing directions. I would say that the movement was a little unorthodox, I was flexing with the big toe in the ground and then I pivoted on it all the way around. It’s a movement that I often do that allows me to come in and out of my breaks faster. I literally felt like I stepped in like a sprinkler head hole. I just felt it give right away, so the next step I knew I couldn’t put the foot down."

The next move for Beason is to travel to North Carolina to visit with Dr. Anderson — the same surgeon who repaired Eli Manning's ankle — and likely schedule a surgery. And while that may seem like a negative on the surface, the Giants have breathed a sigh of relief that the injury was nothing more serious — a lisfranc injury could have ended Beason's season.

If Beason were to undergo surgery today, the 12-week timeframe would put his return somewhere around September 5th, meaning he could, theoretically, be ready for Week 1 when Big Blue opens their season against the Detroit Lions (September 8th).

“The prognosis is X amount of time and it [the Sept. 8 opener] is within that timeframe,” Beason said today. “I expect to be back. If not, I’ll be back as soon as I can. That’s really how you have to look at it. If it’s not 16 [games played], maybe it’s 15 or 14. Whatever it is, you want it to be that number as opposed to one."

Beason will undoubtedly start training camp on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list and remain there until the Giants can determine whether or not he's on schedule with his rehab. However, even if he were to suffer a minor setback, it would seem unlikely that the team leaves him there to start the season. As of now, he could potentially return for Week 1, but Week 2 seems like a more realistic target.

The injury was initially suffered during a non-contact drill on Thursday. Beason was seen limping off to the side following a routine play and was then carted into the locker-room.

Jameel McClain, Devon Kennard and Mark Herzlich are all likely to see snaps at MLB until Beason returns.

Tags: Devon Kennard, Eli Manning, Football, Jameel McClain, Jon Beason, Mark Herzlich, New York, New York Giants, NFL

16 Responses to “New York Giants LB Jon Beason Out 12 Weeks with Ligament Tear, Sesamoid Fracture of Right Foot”

The biggest problem for us is that we’re extremely thin at this area. Beason was a huge upgrade. It’s not like we have some promising rookie or a seasoned vet ready to step in.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Tough break for Beason. But he should be ready to go week 1.

My main concern is that it’s not one of those nagging injuries.

3.  rlhjr says:

Repost:
    rlhjr says:
    June 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    The reason for survival is the fact that the team covered the lack of NFL caliber linebacking by utilizing nickel, dime and three safety packages.

Outside the all too brief ray of sunshine that Beason represented last season, the Giant linebacking situation has basically been an out take of Tales From the Crypt.
    I am still amazed how a lot of us swooned at the play of Beason and how it had a positive effect on the defense. Well fckn Daaaaaaa. I’ve said time and again the team needs to invest in at least one kid who is a stud at the MIKE position.

The Giants live and die with their front four on defense. But just the same EVERY defense needs a heartbeat. That heart beat comes from the linebacking corps. in particular the middle linebacker. Defensive linemen don’t call or adjust plays. They don’t see the offensive player’s reaction to movement. Nor do they taste the fear the defense can put an offensive unit including the QB.

Beason was/is a gift. But his best days are clearly behind him. Still on this team his shoes are massive and are hard to fill. Yet stubbornly this front office continues to stick its collective head in the sand when it comes to drafting an effective player at this position. Fact, even with Beason on board there is a need to put a stud youngster under his wing. Fact, the front office continues to hope to “HIT” with a player either undrafted or drafted after the fourth round. What the fck do they really expect?

This is the same idiotic policy that has offensive left tackle in flux. Eli has been lucky to survive with less than stud play out of left tackle because the Giants leaned heavily on running the ball to set up passing opportunities. The thing about luck is that it runs out.
    And we’ll be fielding some pretty sad posts when Eli gets his knee run through a shredder due to his blind side protection breaking down.

I was and still am happy with most of the moves Reese made this off-season and draft.
    However, past sins still haunt this team on both sides of the ball. I understand budget requirements and how money needs to be spent wisely and applied to areas that need to be augmented. However, the practice of manning key positions on both sides of the ball with also ran’s and various PROJECTS needs to fckn stop. Because paying for lesser quality IS in fact wasting money. Because it leads to mediocrity and the proof is on the roster and plain to see. Invest wisely in talent, and stop paying for mediocrity at key offensive and defensive positions.

I sort of agree with this, BUT, I’ve always thought they could get by with ONE of either the MLB or one of the outside backers being a stud and that it didn’t have to be the guy in the middle. If you have one near-great one among the linebackers you can make do with two more pretty good players. On the other hand, you have to have a better LT than we had in 2013. If Beatty miraculously improves, fine. If not, get him the hell outta there and solve the position. I still think a left tackle should be the first draft pick in 2015, whether Beatty hangs on to his position this season or not.

Players around the position can make up for some weakness at MLB. But this offense goes only as far as Eli takes them and leaving him vulnerable on his weak side is simply inexcusable. I have no idea why they have faith in Beatty after seeing him in 2013. I was never sold on him even when most were and I think last season he was simply an embarrassment. You cannot play worse than he did in 20

4.  aikitim says:

This is not good news. Money on it will linger into the season. Its a really crappy injury.

5.  GFansince Ninteen Forty Eight says:

And it begins anew! When r they going to hire someone to teach players how to stretch out their ligaments and tendons. A YOGA Guru is probably a good idea,

•  Eric S says:

Stretching out ligaments is not a good idea. Ligaments connect bone to bone. Stretching out ligaments would create more instability and increase injury risk. The giants staff seems to be old school so it wouldn’t surprise me if they did static stretching before practice and workouts when the should be focusing on dynamic warmups through full ranges of motion to prepare the body for the upcoming task.

Krow I think McClain is a seasoned vet ready to step in at MLB. If Beason is really back for game 1 it’s possible that this injury does have some BID elements. Beason has rarely played all 16 games so now we get a chance to work on our other options at LB. While we all would rather Beason being out there it’s clear he already knows the defense it’s not like Eli missing time.

Kennard now will get a ton of reps at MLB and SLB. Herzlich gets one more chance to show he’s a starting caliber LB. The UDFA get a real chance to impress and make the team.

The key might be that we do sit Beason a few games to injure he’s 100% rather than just putting him out there when he’s good enough to play.

•  Krow says:

It’s symptomatic of our last decade of LB play. Free agents … mid round picks … one year rentals. Beason and McClain were going to change that … and now that’s up in the air.

The Week 1 game is against the Lions, who will be a primarily passing team, so we can afford not to have Beason available. It would be very nice if he’s back by Week 2 against Arizona, who will run the ball as well as throw it. And they will definitely need him against the Texans.

These injuries do tend to linger, but if given enough time to heal he may be able to get through the rest of the year. But they’d better have a good Plan B, which will probably be McClain at MLB and Dennard and Herzlich playing SAM.

8.  ERICHONIUS says:

This is like a severe turf toe injury. Hopefully surgery speeds his recovery because he will be very hampered if he has problems with it…

9.  ERICHONIUS says:

BTW everything I have read about Nassib has been negative. According to most beat writers, he has looked overwhelmed and has been throwing a lot of INTs, including 3 yesterday.

I think our 2015 first round pick will be a DE. I’m assuming JPP returns to form and is signed long term. I’m also assuming Moore becomes Osi this year as a pass rushing DE. I still think we draft a DE in the first round. Kiwi I think is playing his last year in blue and looked nearly done in 2013. Ayers even if he’s an upgrade from tuck is only signed for 2 years so he will need to be replaced.

I still think if you don’t believe in Beatty our long term LT is Pugh is our long term LT. Even if Beatty returns to form like I expect he’s only our LT for the next 2 years.

I think our plan B line up at LB will end up being McClain-MLB, Paysinger-SLB and Williams WLB. Herzlich would probably be the preferred option starting at SLB so Paysinger doesn’t have to move positions. But after Herzlich performance at LB last I have lost all confidence in him. Herzlich looked really bad out there to me. I have hopes for Dennard but if there’s a solid vet option I just don’t see us starting a rookie. Now Williams and Herzlich are guys for different reasons he could beat out. The early reports about Fox make me think he has a shot at being out Herzlich for roster spot.