Wednesday may have been an off day for New York Giants players, but coaches and staff were plenty busy as the team hosted 10+ players for workouts and evaluations. And while the workouts did feature players at need positions — like tight end Tom Crabtree — The Star-Ledger reports that none were immediately signed to a contract.
No luck with NYG (yet). Grateful for the opportunity.— Tom Crabtree (@itsCrab) June 11, 2014
In addition to Crabtree, the Giants also met with former Central Connecticut State wide receiver Denzell Jones and former Rutgers linebacker Jamal Merrell. They were also slated to meet with former South Carolina defensive back Victor Hampton, but he signed with the Cincinnati Bengals before making it to East Rutherford.
Because a player leaves without a contract/contract offer does not mean the team won't revisit them in the future or send over an offer in the coming days/weeks. The same situation occurred with linebacker Jameel McClain earlier this offseason — he eventually signed with the team a week after his initial workout.
The names of the remaining players who visited on Wednesday were not immediately made public (the team does not officially announce their workouts).
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- LB O’Brien Schofield, Who Nearly Signed with Giants, Worked Out for Titans & Passed Physical
- Contract Numbers for All Signed, Re-Signed, Tendered & Restructured New York Giants
- New York Giants Signed John Jerry as Insurance for Both Chris Snee and Will Beatty: Report
- O’Brien Schofield, Who Nearly Signed with New York Giants, Re-Signs with Seattle Seahawks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1byj