The New York Giants met with free agent tight end Tom Crabtree on Tuesday and had multiple visits slated for Wednesday, including former Central Connecticut State wide receiver Denzell Jones and former South Carolina defensive back Victor Hampton. And although Hampton chose, instead, to sign with the Cincinnati Bengals, it has not slowed the Giants down one bit.
The 6'5'', 230 lbs. Merrell went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, but was quickly scooped up by the Tennessee Titans before once again finding himself on the free agent market. He was initially graded out to be a seventh-round pick or a priority free agent, but has been unable to catch on anywhere thus far.
An NFL scouting report offered the following insight:
An athletic, long-armed run-around 'backer who was slowed by a kidney injury as a senior, Merrill possesses desirable length and athletic ability to factor readily on special teams and develop into a contributor with continued physical development and strength.
Perhaps more than a linebacker, Merrell was a Special Teams standout at Rutgers and ended his college career with seven blocked kicks. He was also named to the Bednarik Award Watch List, Phil Steele Preseason Second Team All-American Athletic Conference linebacker and Preseason All-Conference Third Team by Athlon in 2013.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants to Work Out WR Denzell Jones; Victor Hampton Signs with Cincinnati Bengals
- New York Giants to Work Out Free Agent TE Tom Crabtree Next Week
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bxi