Bill Parcells Visits New York Giants, Addresses Team Following Practice

June 11th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

The New York Giants have won four Lombardi Trophy's since the start of the Super Bowl era, with Bill Parcells accounting for two and Tom Coughlin accounting for the two others. And on Tuesday, that star-power came together in East Rutherford, New Jersey as Parcells stopped in to not only visit his former team, but to address their current players.

It wasn't just a regular pep-talk that Parcells delivered, either. Rather, the legendary Hall of Fame coach channeled his days on the sidelines and laid out an emotional speech about how winning games is easy when everyone is healthy, but true championships are won by tired and hurting players who come together, power through and play for the men around them.

"Got to hear Bill Parcells speak today! Legendary," cornerback Charles James tweeted after practice.

Parcells also met privately with some of the coaches, as well as team captains Zak DeOssie and Antrel Rolle, although the nature of their conversations has, rightfully, remained private.

To have two of the greatest head coaches in New York Giants history on the field together at the same time must have been an incredible treat for the players — especially some of the rookies and recent free agent additions. After all, not many teams can compile a duo quite like Big Blue can with Coughlin and The Big Tuna.

"“It was dope, man. It was cool to see him. I’ve met him on the field briefly but never in that kind of setting to hear what he has to say and talk to him…Just his presence alone, what he brings to the table, it was pretty inspirational to see him and have him there. He still brings the fire," Victor Cruz said. "He still has it. It’s pretty cool to see.”

If the team needed any additional motivation and a sense of pride, they certainly found it outside of the Quest Diagnostics Training Center on Tuesday afternoon.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Bill Parcells, Charles James, Football, New Jersey, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Zak DeOssie

11 Responses to “Bill Parcells Visits New York Giants, Addresses Team Following Practice”

But we don’t get injuries Bill. Tom said they were a cancer that he would wipe out. That Fassel fella was no good because he couldn’t prevent them, so he had to be fired.

“… and when your time here is finished … or you just figure you can get more money elsewhere … don’t be shy about screwing over the people who made your career. Stick it to them hard as you walk out the door. If you’re lucky it will be years before they recover. Yeah, I did that … and it was sweet.”

Because I wrote it late last night I’m just going to repeat: Despite what many expert observers are insisting, I believe we will be MORE than okay on the defensive line because Tuck looks better retrospectively than he did when he was actually here the past few years (and, again, his sack numbers last year are a complete illusion), and while Joseph was good I absolutely believe that Hankins will be better.

No one seems to recognize that while Hankins had limited snaps last season he was equally strong against the run. And most are ignoring the fact that Joseph almost never got to the quarterback and Hankins, because of his quickness that is far superior to Joseph’s, will. I think we have a perennial Pro Bowler in Hankins and it seems he’s flying WAY below the radar. And I still think everyone is underestimating Patterson. Before his health problems this guy was a top-of-the-heap defensive tackle. He looked good last season, and as long as his load is kept reasonable he’s a blue-chipper.

Ayers should be close to equal to Tuck against the run, and while he may not get more than 4-5 sacks, that’s really about all that Tuck did if you subtract his inflated totals against the Skins and their non-existent offensive line. And in Tuck’s absence Kiwi (another under-appreciated player) and Moore will get more playing time, and both are better rushing the quarterback than was Tuck in his last few years. I’m not knocking our erstwhile captain. I love Tuck. But his best days were far behind him by 2012 and he had three pretty pedestrian seasons from 2011-2013 with the only throwback period being, thankfully, in the 2011 playoffs.

Summing it up, I think our defensive front (and I am counting the addition of McClain who should be terrific against the run) should be at least as good, and probably better, than what we had last year, and a LOT better than most pundits are assuming. And I think both Hankins and Moore will emerge as stars in this league and, along with a revitalized JPP, a savvy Beason, and a very strong defensive backfield, make our defense a source of strength again.

Stronger defense? Tough runners? Using the whole field in the passing game instead of “bombs away or run up the gut” all too often? Sounds like Giants’ football to me.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i can’t agree with any of this. I’m sorry.

Hankins while he MIGHT prove to be better than Joseph is in his 2nd year and unproven.

Tuck > Ayers. Anyway you look at it. I could care less if Tucks stats were inflated bc of ONE game. He still made those plays, and they counted. Ayers will be Ok in replacing him, but i’m not expecting much production out of him.

As much as I like Kiwi, he’s an average NFL DE at his best.

Moore should get more snaps, and hopefully become the guy we all think he could be. But it’s still a mystery on how good he CAN be.

And as for JPP, well, Contract year, says he’s “healthy”, so now’s the time to show and prove. But I still think we are all a bit uncertain of what to get out of him. We all WANT him to have a 16+ sack year etc, but I think he’ll have a decent year, nothing outstanding.

I just don’t see it being a strong suit of ours. and believe it or not, this is the first time in a VERY long time that I could honestly say our Linebackers are better than our D-line.

I’m not worry about Tuck’s loss because I agree Ayers can pretty much replace what we got most of the time from him. And Ayers is also similarly effective as a nickel pass rushing DT.

With Hankins my concern is not his ability but how many snaps, games and consistent his play can be. If he’s able to translate what he did last year to 40-50 snaps per game and play every week he will effectively replace Joseph. I think he can do do but I just question if he will especially since stamita was an issue coming out of school.

I’m not as high on Patterson as you but I agree if Patterson’s load is kept reasonable he will be fine. That’s why I think Hankins needs to emerge as the starter because I think a starters role is too much for Patterson at this point of his career.

I like the upside of our front 7 and DL but I think our 3 guys 23 or younger and our 3 guys 30 and older cause some concern. I like our LBs more than I have in a while. I think with Beason, McClain and Paysinger we know we are going to get professional LB play on early downs. Beason in coverage and Williams/paysinger/taylor next to him in nickel is not as certain. I don’t see Beason leaving the field with the money we paid him on passing downs but I do wonder if Paysinger and Williams or taylor is not a better fit on 3rd downs.

Without sounding too much the Pollyanna, I think we could be a surprise team this year. We’ve put players on all of our weaknesses with the exception of TE. And even there we have a chance to be a lot better. Plus no one is going to be all that worried about us. But we need a respectable start. We can’t tank like last year.

True, and, unfortunately, the first half of the schedule ain’t easy. So while they’ll be learning the offense under game pressure they’ll be playing some tough opponents. Over the first seven weeks the only “easier” games are against the Texans and the Skins, and given what the Texans will have along the defensive front now that’s not so easy and the Skins in DC won’t be a gimme. Those two away games in the Division in Weeks 6-7 may be the determining two weeks of the season for this team.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

not this year, Krow.

We’ll hold our own, but i think we go through some growing pains. This team is still a 1-2 years away from being a VERY good team. Right now, we’re Eh….. I think the rankings have us right we’re we are supposed to be.

5.  skinnydoogan says:

I asked yesterday but nobody answered. Where is everyone? Seems like FF, Krow and GOAT are carrying this place lately. I have not been posting much due to personal stuff, but I am here reading everyday for the most part. Did everyone really defect to Facebook?

Repost one last time:

GOAT56 says:
    June 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM
    I think the ranking is fair going by production and question marks. But I feel good about Randle, ODB and Robinson. I do think Jernigan will contribute as well. MM does concern me because he tore his ACL like 19-20 months ago. Then he came back and ended up on IR again for SF. We need him because you need at least 5 quality WRs especially in this offense.

I don’t get the confidence in ODB looking good in shorts and the whatever about Robinson looking good in the same shorts. Look neither player is a given because they haven’t done it yet but it’s fair to have hopes for Robinson just as much as ODB.

That said here are the most important unproven Giants IMO:

1) Hankins – We need to replace Joseph ad Hankins is really the only one that can provide a similar impact as a run stuffing presence.
    2) Robinson – No matter the questions about him, he seems to be the only options that could be good. In this offense especially with our lack of size at WR we need a presence at TE, especially in the redzone.
    3) Moore – While we are solid with Ayers or Kiwi starting on early down if this defense is going to be dynamic we need another upper tier passing rushing threat on the outside besides JPP. Moore doesn’t have to be a complete DE but we need an Osi presence out of him.
    4) ODB – Is actually a player I wouldn’t put here if I wasn’t concerned about MM. We need another outside WR and without the possible cushion of MM, ODB plays a huge role right off the bat.
    5) Taylor – I could have went Williams but even though I think he will be good I don’t think he’s as important as Taylor could be. Between safety and nickel LB I look for Taylor to have a role. He had his redshirt year and should be ready to contribute.

Begiant says:
    June 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM
    Has Taylor showed you anything that makes you feel this way?

GOAT56 says:
    June 11, 2014 at 8:59 AM
    I’m taking about Taylor as a nickel LB over Williams not replacing a great player. Williams is a player I actually had high hopes for the past 2 years and have been disappointed that he hasn’t excelled more in the nickel LB role and grown into a legit WLB starter. At this point I think he’s still an effective nickel LB but not a player locked into a spot. Taylor on special teams last year showed flashes of the athleticism he has. He’s bigger than Williams yet faster and a natural safety so he should be at least as comfortable in coverage. I think our nickel LB role is more like an in the box safety than a LLB so Taylor’s skill set seems to fit.

In addition, it seems like from what I here Williams is not a true professional type. Taylor was a team captain he played a varied role of safety/LB in college. He seems to be the type of player we are leaning towards outside of his outstanding athletic ability for his size.

We have questions but teams like Philly, Dallas, Atl I think people have too high. I think again this looks to be a below average division. The offensives should be good. But the defense aren’t good besides our IMO. Philly has the best chance decent defense outside of us but Washington has mostly the same players they have had the last few years so I don’t see the improvement. Dallas’ defense looks horrible. I also think in year 2 and no Djax Philly’s offense will take a major step back and IO wouldn’t be surprised if it ended up the worse in the division. I might be in the minority but Romo and RJ3 scare me way more than Foles and without Jackson Philly doesn’t have better weapons. Washington and Dallas both have very good offensives. Washington has probably the best skill position talent in the division their concern is the OL, I think RG3 will bounce back a play a lot better than last year. Dallas doesn’t have depth in their skill positions but they have some good ones and with Philly a quality OL.

Basically I don’t think we have to “arrive” to win the division this and once your in the playoffs anything can happen.