The New York Giants running game was seen a major weakness in 2013 and one that was a bit of a carousel of personnel due to injuries, which may have lead to the unproductiveness at the position.
Gone are Andre Brown, Da'Rel Scott and Brandon Jacobs; who have left via free agency or in Jacobs case, retirement. Peyton Hillis was brought back, David Wilson is attempting to play after undergoing neck surgery, and they signed Rashad Jennings from the Oakland Raiders. But the one name that people are really getting excited over is Andre Williams.
Williams, the team's fourth-round draft choice out of Boston College in the 2014 NFL Draft, rushed for over 2,000 yards last season and why the Giants were willing to use another draft pick on a running back just two years after taking Wilson with a first round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.
Former Dallas Cowboys executive and now NFL.com's Gil Brandt talked about several players who will make impacts for their new teams this season and Brandt talked about how Williams will make a great impact for the Giants.
"The Giants love to run, and they should be able to find work for Williams, who, in addition to being a very strong runner with good balance and quickness, will be useful in pass protection as a blocker. He had an outstanding senior year at Boston College, compiling the most rushing yards in the country (2,177). Williams is not a great receiver, but he is very smart and has excellent vision."
For 29 years, Brandt was the Cowboys chief talent scout until Jerry Jones bought and took over the team and then let Brandt go of his services, but during Brandt's time, he was able to scout some of the best players in the league while the team was coached by Tom Landry, so Brandt's eye for talent is an obvious one. So his high praise for Williams can be taken as a great sign for a rookie who can help a unit for the Giants that struggled last season and can help turn it around.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Boston College RB Andre Williams
- Odell Beckham Jr. not Likely to Make Major Impact for New York Giants in 2014, Says Marc Sessler
- Jerry Reese Expecting David Wilson to Be Cleared for Training Camp; Couldn’t Pass on Andre Williams
- New York Giants Sign Andre Williams, Nat Berhe to Rookie Deals
- Andre Williams Knew All Along He’d End up with the New York Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bwc