Opinions have been mixed about New York Giants rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. and what he'll produce in 2014. Mark Sessler of NFL Network previously predicted a low impact season for the LSU product, while the National Football Post recently predicted the exact opposite.
Odell Beckham, WR, New York Giants: The Giants lost Hakeem Nicks in free agency so now they need someone to play opposite Victor Cruz. First round draft choice Odell Beckham is just the man. While everyone feels that Clemson’s Sammy Watkins was the best receiver in this draft, Beckham may have the more productive rookie campaign.
Watkins is playing with a still unproven E.J. Manuel at quarterback in Buffalo. Beckham has Eli Manning. Yes, Manning is coming off an uncharacteristically poor year, but look for him to rebound. With a receiver who possesses the athletic traits of Beckham, Manning should bounce back easily.
According to reports, the Giants have been using a lot of three wide receiver formations in OTAs with Beckham and fellow LSU teammate Rueben Randle playing out wide and Cruz in the slot. With Cruz drawing a lot of double coverage, I’m looking for Beckham to come up big.
The one potential issue Beckham has to deal with is a tight hamstring that recently cropped up — an issue that head coach Tom Coughlin says might keep him out for a little while. How long a "little while" turns out to be could make a huge difference for both Manning and the rookie.
Either way, Beckham should be more than ready come Week 1 and in order for the Giants to be successful, he has to produce. So one way or another, the ball is going to be coming his way.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: No Way We Could Pass up the Near Pro-Ready Odell Beckham Jr.
- Carolina Panthers GM Dave Gettleman: Odell Beckham Jr. Best Route Runner from Rookie Class
- Odell Beckham Jr. not Likely to Make Major Impact for New York Giants in 2014, Says Marc Sessler
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- Giants’ Victor Cruz, Who Lobbied for Another WR, is Happy with Addition of Odell Beckham Jr.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1btx