Retired New York Giants linebacker Antonio Pierce took some time away from his new career as a High School football head coach to visit Big Blue at their Organized Team Activities (OTAs) last week, and after getting to know many of the new faces, AP chimed in on the current state of the team's linebackers.
Although new pieces have been plugged in and others have been removed, Pierce told Giants.com he was impressed by their leadership and versatility.
"I know we got the rock back with Jon Beason, and he'll be great for the team. Great leader, great vocal person. A leader by example," Pierce said. "Then you bring in another physical player like that in McClain — the division we're in, it's always tough, and with the running backs and different quarterbacks and tight ends you have to face — those are two guys that I'm sure offenses are going to have to prepare to stop those guys as far as blitzing the gaps and stopping the run."
Beason made an immediate impact when he joined a year ago, but it's the addition of Jameel McClain that could put the Giants over-the-top in 2014. And based on all early reports, he's been quite impressive during practices and is already taking on a leadership role.
Jameel McClain is a great wingman for Jon Beason at linebacker. He flashes the same leadership qualities and has a good eye for defensive adjustments, often barking out audibles based on what the offense is showing.
It's been quite some time, but perhaps it's time to get excited about the Giants' linebackers?
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Jameel McClain, Jon Beason Could Change New York Giants’ Fortunes at Linebacker
- Nat Berhe Offers New York Giants Versatility; Played “Brian Urlacher Position” at San Diego State
- Retired New York Giants LB Antonio Pierce Hired as Coach at Long Beach Poly
- Linebacker Jameel McClain Remains an Option for New York Giants
- New York Giants Thursday Morning Storylines: Antonio Pierce Named Head Coach at Long Beach Poly
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1btc