When the New York Giants took the field for their sixth practice of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) on Thursday, rookie wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. watched from the sidelines. Although unclear as to why at first, head coach Tom Coughlin shed some light on the situation following the conclusion of practice, saying Beckham Jr. had injured his hamstring and may end up missing some time.
"He may be out longer than [one day]. We are talking about a skilled athlete with a twinge," Coughlin said.
Although Coughlin failed to provide a timetable on the return of Beckham, it was implied that the injury may spell the end to his OTA practices. Whether or not he'll return for mini-camp in two weeks also remains to be seen, but for a speedy athlete who utilizes his legs for success, hamstring injuries are always a serious concern. In the past, the Giants have been quick to shut players down for quite a significant amount of time to ensure they heal properly.
Still, Beckham Jr. doesn't believe the injury is serious and says if the team had practice on Friday, he'd be out there. The Giants' Doctors may disagree.
With training camp still about seven weeks away, it seems unlikely that this issue will longer quite that long, so Beckham Jr. should be back in plenty of time for the preseason. Still, a rookie missing any time as a team learns a new offense has the potential to be a significant problem.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- Giants’ Eli Manning Glad to Be Reunited with Odell Beckham; Calls Him an “Impressive” Athlete
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- Odell Beckham Jr. the Possible Target of an Unsettling Hoax; New York Giants, NFL are Investigating
- Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning