Like Will Hill before him, New York Giants cornerback Jayron Hosley wasted no time in facing the music over his recent four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He stepped up to the microphone on Thursday and, unprompted, offered an apology to management, his teammates and the fans.
"I want to apologize to the ownership of the New York Giants," Hosley said. "I've got to be man enough to accept them and move on."
The 2012 third-round pick indicated that his suspension stemmed from a failed drug test a season ago and that he decided to drop his appeal because it was time to accept responsibility for his actions. And although he wouldn't directly answer any questions about the league's policy on drugs, he did add that he almost immediately sought out drug counseling — which he's been actively attending — and has made every attempt to be at the Giants' facility and away from trouble daily.
Meanwhile, head coach Tom Coughlin said he and the team were "not surprised" over the suspension and had been previously made aware of it. However, safety Antrel Rolle was not nearly as tight-lipped about the recent string of failed drug tests, saying the repeated issues are an embarrassment to the franchise.
"It's too easy to do right in this league [in regards to the NFL drug policy] to keep doing wrong," Rolle said, adding specifically that Hill (not necessarily Hosley) "keeps moving in the wrong direction."
In the past three years, the Giants have seen a string of failed tests from Tyler Sash, Andre Brown and, of course, both Will Hill and now Jayron Hosley. In each case, the failed tests were blamed on Adderall (under the performance-enhancing drugs policy) or marijuana (under the substance-abuse policy).
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Jayron Hosley Suspended Four Games for Violating NFL’s Substance Abuse Policy
- New York Giants’ Will Hill Reportedly Fails Drug Test; Facing a Third NFL Suspension
- New York Giants “Livid” with Will Hill’s Drug Problems; Safety Likely “Done” with Giants: Report
- Will Hill Has Told New York Giants Teammates He’s Been Clean: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bqz