June 5th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Like Will Hill before him, New York Giants cornerback Jayron Hosley wasted no time in facing the music over his recent four-game suspension for violating the NFL's substance-abuse policy. He stepped up to the microphone on Thursday and, unprompted, offered an apology to management, his teammates and the fans.

"I want to apologize to the ownership of the New York Giants," Hosley said. "I've got to be man enough to accept them and move on."

The 2012 third-round pick indicated that his suspension stemmed from a failed drug test a season ago and that he decided to drop his appeal because it was time to accept responsibility for his actions. And although he wouldn't directly answer any questions about the league's policy on drugs, he did add that he almost immediately sought out drug counseling — which he's been actively attending — and has made every attempt to be at the Giants' facility and away from trouble daily.

Meanwhile, head coach Tom Coughlin said he and the team were "not surprised" over the suspension and had been previously made aware of it. However, safety Antrel Rolle was not nearly as tight-lipped about the recent string of failed drug tests, saying the repeated issues are an embarrassment to the franchise.

"It's too easy to do right in this league [in regards to the NFL drug policy] to keep doing wrong," Rolle said, adding specifically that Hill (not necessarily Hosley) "keeps moving in the wrong direction."

In the past three years, the Giants have seen a string of failed tests from Tyler Sash, Andre Brown and, of course, both Will Hill and now Jayron Hosley. In each case, the failed tests were blamed on Adderall (under the performance-enhancing drugs policy) or marijuana (under the substance-abuse policy).

Tags: Andre Brown, Antrel Rolle, Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Tom Coughlin, Tyler Sash, Will Hill

13 Responses to “Jayron Hosley Apologizes to Giants Management, Teammates & Fans; Has Been in Drug Counseling”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Antrel Rolle is a true role model for kids, and professional athletes alike. The kid doesn’t get enough credit for his rough upbringing and his ability to keep his head on his shoulders as well as being a top NFL safety. More guys should look up to Rolle.

And I am going to proudly say “I told you so” to everyone. I got flak for saying that Kurt Warner had told me a lot about what a great player, leader, and person Rolle was at Arizona (I walk with him at a charity walk each year for Best Buddies, which is a really good organization that works with children with disabilities and gets them buddies who will spend time with them as kinds of “big brothers” and “big sisters”, so he and I talk football and business….I ask him about the former, he asks me about the latter so we both get something out of the conversation).

The Giants need to keep ‘Trel for the remainder of his career. he still has plenty of game, but even when that declines he’s the kind of team leader you just cannot buy easily.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Agreed.

It’s funny, I met Antrel a few times at the U when he was younger. And he struck me as a little bit of a punk. But i think he’s matured from that, As I ran into him at a SB party last year and we BS’d about some guys that we both knew back in Miami. And he was a real down to earth guy.

This is Hosley’s second offense, though his first was unofficial since it came at the Combine. He’s saying the right things. Let’s see what he does. Even guys on the team fell for Hill’s line. I certainly did. Not gonna happen again. Show me Jayron, don’t tell me.

I think Hill is far deeper than Hosley at this point. First Hill was suspended at florida and I beleive failed the combine test. Then he was suspended 3 times by the NFL. Lastly he wasn’t the good guy we thought he had become. This is Hosley’s first suspension and it shouldn’t be treated as more because of Hill. He does need to do better but so far it’s a one time mistake.

BBG – when you are playing sports on a non professional level you fight through things that if you had trainers or team doctors they would advise you to not push it. The point is to make sure it’s minor not to be macho and then actually have a real injury that affects him for the season. It’s not that he couldn’t continue practicing it’s that he shouldn’t.

Honestly this is the first time I can remember in a while someone actually accepted blame for their drug/performance enhancing suspension. That’s all can be done at this point along with the counseling that he’s in. Accepting you have an issue is a huge thing.

We can’t lump in Hosley with Hill just because they happen around the same time. This is much more like the Hill suspension last year. Hill was thought to be talented but by no means a lock to make the team. Injuries helped make Hill needed when he came back and he delivered. Hopefully Hosley can have a similar story on the field and have legit change off the field.

Odell Beckum … welcome the the NY Giants … also known as hamstring hell. Get used it.

Hosley … if what happened to Hill doesn’t scare you straight then nothing will. But I have my doubts … because it ain’t that hard to not smoke up. And you already flunked that quiz twice. If your phone rings one more time it will be the Arizona Rattlers. Don’t pick it up.

I have very little sympathy for players who violate the recreational substance abuse rules. The PEDs I understand … they’re trying to make it, and that can help. It’s not right … but I get it. The other stuff … no, I don’t get that. How hard is it to not smoke weed? How hard is it to not do coke?

Here’s the deal … the NFL sets out a handful of rules. Some are dumb … some are antiquated … but all of them are incredibly easy to follow. And if you do then you have a shot at being rich, famous, and set for life. Or you can go to the clubs .. get into trouble … and end up with nothing. I don’t care how poor you were … or how little schooling you got … or what sort of parents you had. This is still an easy win. If you can’t manage it then step aside … cause there are plenty of guys who can.

7.  Nosh.0 says:

On the latest Will Hill incident, I think it just reenforces the fact that he needs to get far far away from Jersey. His friends were clearly a bad influence, and while some would argue that he got far away when he attended Florida, as we have learned the Florida football program under Urban Myer wasn’t filled with great characters.

Hill needs a veteran team with good leadership that’s not in driving distance from his hometown friends.

FWIW, I got a great, extremely positive, report on today’s practice with special praise leveled at a number of players: Eli, Nassib, Cruz, Holliday (apparently he “tore it up” as a receiver in the new system), Moore, Mosley, Patterson, Pugh, Beason (was told his drops were fabulous and made it very tough on the QBs), Cruz, Rolle and Prince. But special praise was given to Adrien Robinson, who apparently wowed my source with the tremendous leap he has made from last season and played well inside and when split out.

Also, he said McAdoo’s offense is incredible and that the tight ends and running backs are utilized so well in the passing game that there are mismatches all over the place. he thinks that Wilson is going to become a superstar with this offense.

Is he the greatest evaluator of talent in the world? No. But he’s been around the team a lot and has a better look than do we. And he was really excited about what he saw today.

•  Krow says:

The Robinson news is excellent. Maybe that’s why we’re no longer interested in Finley?