June 4th, 2014 at 3:00 PM

New York Giants cornerback Jayron Hosley has been suspended for the first four games of the 2014 NFL season for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, the team announced on Wednesday.

Hosley, a 2012 third-round pick, is the second Giants defensive back to be suspended for violating the league's substance-abuse policy over the past week. The first, safety Will Hill, was hit with a six-game suspension after losing his appeal with the league, and was subsequently released by the team. It was his third suspension in three years and his second for violating said policy.

Like Hill, Hosley is no stranger to failing league drug tests, having come up dirty during the NFL Combine. And, also like Hill, the Giants chose to over-look that transgression. However, it remains unclear if he'll receive the same number of "do-overs" as Hill, especially given that he was likely battling for a spot on the 53-man roster as it was.

Hosley is eligible to continue practicing with the team during Organized Team Activities (OTAs), mini-camp, training camp and the preseason. Should he make the team, his suspension will begin in Week 1 and he will be eligible to return to the active roster on Friday, September 26th following the Giants' Thursday Night game against the Washington Redskins on September 25th.

It remains unclear what triggered Hosley's failed test, but he had been appealing the suspension until today. As of this morning, he opted to drop his appeal and was promptly hit with the four-game ban.

The suspension will cost him $134,117 of his $570,000 base salary (assuming he makes the team).

Tags: Football, Jayron Hosley, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Washington, Washington Redskins, Will Hill

18 Responses to “New York Giants’ Jayron Hosley Suspended Four Games for Violating NFL’s Substance Abuse Policy”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

is this his 1st offense?

I remember there being an incidence in college but don’t recall in the NFL.

2.  Nosh.0 says:

Hosley now is more endangered of being cut then McBride. In fact I assume McBrides job is safe based on his performance last season and the fact we paid him.

It would seem a bit early to cut my boy Swag Hosley, but, given the change in draft philosophy this season, the fact we moved on from a lot of players in one offseason, and the fact we went out and signed a slot corner, all point to Hosley not being thought of highly by the team. Throw in a 4 games suspension and the kids roster spot may now be in trouble. McBride is a lock. Hosley is not.

As for Wilson. I feel the exact same way Jerry Reese does. If we get anything from him it’s a luxury. There is absolutely no way that the team is counting on him this season. Thus the big $$$ for Jennings and the 4th round pick from BC. Wilson is nothing more than a lotto ticket at this point. RB’s lower their shoulders routinely, putting the neck in a vulnerable position, how is he supposed to play that position coming off the surgery he just had?

•  BBWC says:

According to what I’ve read and understand, once the bones are fused together successfully and completely healed the risk of recurrence (herniated disc) would be no greater than if he never had the surgery. If it would happen again, it wouldn’t be in the same location. The two vertebrae that were fused are now attached by bone which is much stronger. But it’s important to note that each surgery is quite different than the next so we’ll have to wait and see. Hopefully Wilson will be cleared next doctor visit “if not” than I’ll start to worry.

I personally wouldn’t doubt if the doctors could’ve released him now but would rather wait and give it a few more weeks to be extra careful. There is no point in rushing him into contact during OTA’s, he can do all the non-contact stuff which is good enough for now. Plus Wilson never felt any pain and is itching to get on the field and prove something. They may be afraid he’ll push it too much too soon. Also by keeping Wilson in check, it’ll give more opportunities to Williams (Note: his appointment is just prior to training camp, how convenient).

3.  BBWC says:

Unbelievable! No wonder the Giants placed an emphasis on drafting high character guys this year…I don’t doubt that the Giants will cut Hosley even if it is his first offense in the NFL. He tested positive at the combine and now he’s positive again. Obviously he didn’t learn anything from his last episode!

On the bright side, at least it’s happening now and not during the season.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

Thank you 49ers for taking the first step into unraveling your franchise. I love it when teams bid against themselves. Especially for a kid that hasn’t proven he can deliver the order from the pocket, which all NFL QB’s need to eventually learn to do if they want a long and successful career. At least when the Tigers foolishly bid against themselves it was for the best hitter in baseball. Kaepernick is still way too unproven for that kind of cash. Giants SB chances just improved over the next few years.

Wow!! I cannot argue with the team’s success with him under center, but I agree. Way too much commitment for a QB who hasn’t proved he can play from the pocket OR make the critical throw when all the chips are down.

Andrew Luck must be licking his chops. If Kaepernick is worth that money then Luck should get paid about $80-100MM guaranteed and over $20MM per annum.

I do wonder if the Niners have a better idea than do we to what extent the cap is going up.

You gotta be kidding me! Looks like grabbing Thurmond was a smart move right about now.

Hosley’s a moron. I wonder if the Giants knew this might be coming last season when they clearly seemed to reduce his opportunities on the field.

I think Nosh is correct: McBride just made the team. And given an opportunity Charles James just might knock this talented knucklehead off the roster if they don’t just waive him right away out of disgust.

Anyone else getting the feeling that Coughlin read some folks the Riot Act about the character of the players that Reese & Co. were bringing in and had a lot to do with the turn toward the kinds of kids we drafted this season? My confidence in Jerry Reese is waning. He may prove to be a terrific talent evaluator and a poor GM. Maybe it’s no one’s fault but Hosley’s, but given his failure on the test during the Combine he was another of Reese’s risky picks. It seems that the recent drafts have leaned way too far toward athletic talent and way too little toward figuring out who’s going to be the kind of person who will fight for himself and you and make yours a good football team.

I have a feeling Jacquain Williams may prove to be another high talent, high risk, disappointment (he has been very slow to get his act together and make the right plays on the field).

I was a HUGE fan of Reese’s. I’m beginning to doubt I was justified in that feeling.

•  norm says:

Hill and Hosley represent the downside of the “Draft the Weed Guy” stratagem.

Despite these two recent mishaps, I still think it’s a sound approach to talent acquisition and one I don’t blame Reese for employing. It’s based on the assumption that since 90% of all college kids smoke weed, it’s likely that most college footballers do too. The vast majority of them won’t get caught… but a few of them will. The thinking is that once these kids are out of school and in line for a big payday, they will be able to put aside their adolescent vices. Just like many other college graduates must do when entering other professions must do.

As long as first round talents drop to the third round (or lower) on account of marijuana use, “Draft the Weed Guy” will continue to be a gamble worth taking. Let’s not forget that Manningham was a Weed Guy. So too was Damontre Moore. Mario is now a seven-year NFL veteran with no weed busts on his record. By all accounts, Moore is working very hard at perfecting his craft and has the look of a model citizen so far.

Yes, the Giants got burned (no pun intended) with Hill & Hosley. It’s too bad things didn’t work out but they still represented good low risk bets at the time they were made. You can’t win ‘em all. I, for one, hope they don’t sour Reese on the Weed Guy approach.

•  G-MenFan says:

Jacquain Williams was a 6th round pick that’s paid plenty of dividends, including forcing the punt return fumble in OT in the NFC Championship Game. He also won a lot of playing time for a late rounder.

Hosley is a 3rd rounder. This is bad.

It all makes sense now. We knew this was going to happen which is why we signed seemingly too many CBs. I also think that we might have cut Hill in part to save a guy like Hosley from being around another smoker.

I think McBride looks way better now but he’s still no given. When have we kept 6 CBs before? We still have 3 locks, a draft pick, a young kid and a vet that might compare favorably to Mcbride. Yes, McBride got a 2 year deal but I bet little was guaranteed and the fact that Bowman could produce the same and half the cost is against him.

Let’s not go crazy here about unraveling. Hill was an unusual case. We do have guys that get suspended here and there. This is the first time Hosley has been in trouble in the NFL.

He flunked the test at the Combine. So you KNOW the Giants had a talk with him about that and his need to walk the straight-and-narrow.

I hope the kid learns from this, but don’t count on it.

The Jackson kid is just as likely to be deemed a safety as cornerback, though I suspect in the end they’re hoping he can be a “big corner” and would keep him around in some capacity in case they cannot sign Thurmond again for 2015. I love James but his size is always going to be an issue, and if there’s a close call it will probably kill him. I think Bowman was brought in to compete for the fifth spot on the depth chart knowing he’s a VERY valuable special teams guy. But McBride was good for Perry Fewell in 2013 and so you have to assume that the DC is going to go for bat for him in those final meetings when the really tough roster decisions are made.

We’ll see, but it wouldn’t be nuts to expect DRC, Prince, Thurmond, McBride and Bowman to be the depth chart coming out of camp with Hosley hanging on the edges and only able to get back if he proves himself a model citizen and team player to the satisfaction of the team, and Jackson sent to the Practice Squad. It would be too bad if James can’t make it because he’s a guy who will leave everything on the field and has a HUGE chip on his shoulder since his size has led people to doubt him for years (and is clearly talented). James is one of those guys you find on winning teams. But I cannot bet on him and I think McBride is a very good bet. Coaches generally don’t part with players who did well for them and aren’t on the downhill slope.

I don’t think we can afford to not keep a young CB on the initial 53 man roster. With Hosley’s long term future in some question. If we really think Jackson has starting potential after training camp then I think he has to be put on the roster. 1 vet in either McBride (who I agree is the favorite) of Bowman (who had a better career than McBride before last year). And maybe we even keep 6 CBs.

This means that Hosley’s second contract is in question but for now he’s still a talented football player who could play a huge role next year replacing Thurman. The Thurman signing reminds me of the Bennett signing. I think Thurman will likely play well enough that re-signing him will be improbable.

The last two days show why you need depth. Hill being gone and Hosley suspended is very bad news but luckily our roster is strong enough to overcome this and still have pretty good depth at least at CB. The positive is that Hosley could come back just in time to cover for an injury. He doesn’t take up a roster spot and most importantly since they changed the rule a few years ago he can be around the team while suspended.

7.  Sintexo says:

Everyone keeps talking about weed, but has anyone actually heard that that’s what it was? I don’t see any details about what the drug was.

•  BBWC says:

Hosley was suspended for violating the league’s policy on “substances of abuse.” That’s the part of the policy that covers recreational drugs, as opposed to performance-enhancing drugs.

8.  Nosh.0 says:

55-
    My feeling on Reese is mixed. As you said, he’s had some pretty bad drafts of late (excluding 2013 and 14, too early to tell). So it’s fair to knock him on that. But, what I appreciate is the fact that this offseason he has tried to right those wrongs. ie drafting “football players” as opposed to the high upside, boom or bust type players that had become too common for this franchise. This latest class in particular, with the exception of ODB, is made up of mostly guys with lower ceilings but also lower floors than players we have picked in the recent past.

My point is, I think it’s a sign of a good organization when they are willing to admit to mistakes and make adjustments accordingly. And I think this entire offseason has been the Giants basically admitting that they did a bad job the previous few years in the draft and free agency. So while they deserve blame for the poor job they did, I give them credit for looking in the mirror and attempting to correct their mistakes. The idiots that run the baseball team in Flushing would never have the guts to do what the Giants just did.

As for Kaepernick and Luck. To steal a comment from someone else, if Kaepernick is worth 120 mill then Luck is worth a billion.