New York Giants Waive Troubled Safety Will Hill

June 2nd, 2014 at 12:20 PM

The New York Giants had warned that safety Will Hill was on thin ice and that one more off-field transgression would end his tenure with the team. And after being hit with a six-game suspension last week for violating the league's substance-abuse policy, they held true to their word. On the heels of his third suspension in three years, the Giants have announced that Hill has been waived.

Hill, who has a long, troubled past that includes many run-ins with the league and law over his marijuana use, had informed his friends and the team that, despite his history, his most recent positive drug test came as a result of second-hand marijuana smoke. The excuse bought him some time and even some confidence, with the Giants holding out hope that he could eventually win his appeal with the league. However, the NFL showed no mercy and subsequently hit him with a six-game ban, which was ultimately a death sentence for him with the Giants.

Still, one-time Giants safety Deon Grant, who has become close personal friends with Hill, had spoken openly about the situation late last week and hoped Big Blue would give his friend another chance.

"I don't think he has an issue or problem. The truth, I'm almost 80 or 90 percent sure that he doesn't have an issue and he's not putting it in his system himself," Grant added. "This situation again is something where he was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"I hope they give him another chance. I don't want to see him go anywhere else. I like him in the Giants uniform. … But they have a slim tolerance of negative energy in that organization. I hope they can see this last incident was not really him messing up again but just picking the wrong place to be in at the wrong time."

Following his second suspension a year ago (his first for marijuana), Hill acknowledged that he was being given only one more chance with the Giants and that any further slip-ups would cost him his job.

"You definitely got to look at it as this is your last chance," Hill said last year, while displaying his brand new 'Giants' tattoo. "If I don’t, I’m liable to [mess] up again."

Still, the Giants stuck with him again through an arrest for unpaid child support — an arrest that included a report of the odor of marijuana. Through it all, Hill just couldn't stay away; couldn't stay out of trouble and now he's another in a long line of supremely talented players who just couldn't piece it all together and stay out of trouble.

Hill is required by the league to serve his six-game suspension no matter what team may end up signing him. By waiving him, the Giants save roughly $570,000 towards the 2014 salary cap.

Tags: Deon Grant, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Will Hill

42 Responses to “New York Giants Waive Troubled Safety Will Hill”

1 2 3
  1.  Sintexo says:

Well $h!t.

He’s free to smoke his head off now. Congrats a$$hole.

3.  Eric S says:

Not surprising. I was always under the impression that the Giants already warned him his last suspension was the final straw and any further suspensions would lead to his release. Hate to see that kind of talent go out the door but what good is it if you can’t depend on him to stay out of trouble?

4.  ERICHONIUS says:

Well, one of our division rivals is likely going to get a good safety out of this. However, this needed to be done, it would have been a bad precedent to set if we allowed Hill to continue to have these kinds of problems.

I’m extremely disappointed. He can help us this year and appears to be a good teammate. I have a bad feeling he could come back to hurt us. Guys have done much worse and have been given more chances. Now safety depth is a real concern. Right now we are fine but one injury and we have to rely on the young kids. It might turn out just fine but losing a talent like Hill who isn’t a bad teammate is not positive. I guess we needed some news to balance out the positives.

But for Hill this is probably the best thing. We are located basically in his hometown so it’s much harder to get away from his old friends than if he’s in Dallas for example. I get the feeling that he’s maturing but not mature enough to avoid his local friends so being elsewhere I think he will succeed.

I just saw this posted:

“Perhaps the fact he didn’t really accept responsibility for it and tried the “but it was secondhand smoke” approach that was the final straw.”

You know this just might have some legs to it. It’s not like we released him the next day. Maybe if Hill handled it differently he would have been kept. I still think it was mistake to cut him but this reasoning makes more sense than I originally considering.

This guy was trouble his entire life. He’s gotten by because everyone looks the other way cause he’s athletically gifted. In a few years he’ll be asking if we want paper or plastic. Forget him … he was never going to work out.

•  NM-GIANT says:

He will go to a different team. Book it! and it might be good for him because he will be away from his hometown.

8.  NM-GIANT says:

AHHHHH! Granted the dude broke the rules but im extremely dissapointed in both Hill and the organization, there are plenty of players who have done worse and are still in the NFL. Reese and company better be right about releasing him cause if he does land on a team like the cowboys he is gonna light up our receivers as a payback. I told you all that once he leaves he was gonna go to a rival. Why didn’t the Giants organization try and trade him to a different team?

9.  aikitim says:

SO the way I imagine the conversation from agent to player before they enter the NFL (adjusted a little bit to include all rookies, obviously the conversation is a little bit different where you are drafted):

Agent: NFLPLAYER, you are about to enter in to one of the most prestigious workplaces in the world and make far far far far the average salary in the united state if you make a teams practice squad. If you make the final roster you will earn far more than that and if you stick with a team you will have a chance at making millions of dollars in a very short period of time.

All you have to do to make this happen is work hard and play football. One day this will all be over, more than likely in 3yrs, the average NFL career.

To ensure this happens, keep off the streets, dont carry guns around in your car, dont rob anyone, dont kill people, pay for taxis instead of drunk driving and dont smoke weed, also there is a short list of banned substances including adderol, here’s the list. Thats it. not that many cants. go enjoy yourself and make some money.

Player: I cant smoke weed/drive around with assault rifles/drunk drive/kill a guy? Not even once? Ill probably get away with it, so ill be good.

Morons.

•  aikitim says:

Such such such a shame to see the giants lose a player of Hills talent to something stupid like this. Before right now I was all for keeping him around, because he would have been a help for 10 games this season. But the more I think about it, if I was a coach or owner, I would have cut him as well. Thats not a TEAM guy. Guys who are good for the TEAM don’t bring guns to nightclubs right before the playoffs, dont smoke weed or associate with those people who do if it would hurt their chance to play and help the team. Im glad he’s gone. Will we miss his talent, and individual plays? Yes. But I’d rather Stevie Brown show up for 5 games and get injured than have Will hill stick around for 10 and then not be able to play next season because his last last last chance didnt work out and he went and did a banned subastance again.

I know weed is a stupid thing to have a banned substance, but thats no what we’re talking about here. It’s banned. There is no debating it. Dont do it and youll never get caught. Millions of dollars. So frustrating to see young promising players be so stupid.

10.  BBWC says:

It’s unfortunate, but I knew once the league suspended him he was gone. The Giants did the right thing by waiting and allowing appeals process take place before terminating him. You just can’t keep putting with that crap. The Giants were more than fair with Will, he just couldn’t stay away from the weed. If this don’t set him straight, nothing will.

1 2 3