May 27th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning may be a two-time Super Bowl MVP, but in his entire NFL career he's had to learn but one offensive system. That changes in 2014 with the addition of Ben McAdoo as offensive coordinator, and despite Manning's high football IQ and impressive work ethic, ESPN analyst and former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback, Ron Jaworski, anticipates it will be a difficult and potentially problematic adjustment for Eli.

"It will be an adjustment for Eli. I can't just say it's going to be great," Jaworski said at his celebrity golf challenge last week. "It's going to take some time. In my career, I played for four different teams in a lot of different systems, and it's like learning another language. It takes time, so it will be interesting to see how quickly Eli can assimilate into a new offense."

Manning admitted late last month that it was a lot to process and that his mind was "swimming," but added that after 10 years in the league it's a bit easier of an adjustment than had he been in the early stages of his career. Still, not being able to participate on the field with his new teammates may, ultimately, stunt the transition a bit.

"It's just not a given that you're going to change the offense and everything is going to be fine," Jaworski added. "You have to work hard at it, and NFL quarterbacks all bust their butts now anyways. But it is going to take some time for all those guys in new systems."

Although Manning and the rest of the offense will eventually find a rhythm, all preseason games and the first several regular season games will be very telling. The Giants just hope they have enough of a grasp on it to not be completely overwhelmed early on in the season.

Tags: Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Ron Jaworski

6 Responses to “Ron Jaworski Anticipates a Tough Transition for Eli Manning into New York Giants’ New Offense”

Eagles fans always anticipate bad things happening to the other NFC East teams. It’s amazing that he gets paid to barf out the crap he does.

I cannot stand “Jaws” (who was a mediocre quarterback in his day), but he really only said it would “not be a given” and would “be hard” and I cannot disagree with either of those statements. I do, though, remember, that this is one of the guys who really trashed Eli early in his career and was on the side of “he’s not an elite quarterback” until the 2007 Super Bowl and subsequent seasons gave him no choice but to admit the obvious.

Frankly, I expect some glitches early in the season. I’ve mentioned previously that I worry about our early schedule because of those changes and the massive turnover of the roster (absolutely required, and great, but potentially troublesome in September). I just hope McAdoo recognizes that he has to let the offense walk before it runs and create game plans early that don’t use anywhere near 100% of his playbook. I think it will be CRITICAL that they successfully run the ball, particularly early in the season. If that can be done then the passing offense should be fine even if it’s a watered-down version of what it will be a few months later.

But people who underestimate Eli Manning’s intelligence and ability to process information, and his ability to anticipate and make defensive reads, are always going to look silly after the fact.

Jaws was just before my time. I saw him play while using Cunningham as their 3rd down QB. So I can’t judge him as a player but he’s never been an Eli guy.

I completely agree that people under estimate Eli’s intelligence. If I recall correctly he has one of the higher alltime QB wonderlink scores and one higher than his brother.

While I think Gillbride got far too much blame for last year and hasn’t been respected enough for our consistent offensive success. I can I agree it was time for a change. It was the perfect time because we were struggling on offense. If we changed 2 years ago I don’t think Eli completely buys into a new offense because of all the success we had with the old system. Now he’s ready. I expect Eli to have a bounce back name a play much better from the start in a similar way to Rivers last year. Big Ben was different because he didn’t want to change and they were still having success with their old system. Both Rivers and Eli had seen many years of great success under one system followed by some serious struggles. I think regardless of the changes just the newness of the system will re-energize Eli. It won’t go perfectly but with Eli’s intelligence and this being a fairly simply offense NFL wise to learn I don’t think there will be much system based early season struggles.

I do think sometimes a QB with the success of Eli can get lazy in a system he knows so well so change is good. Him being sloppy with footwork was caused some by poor OL play but still much of that is on Eli. I think the new QB coach will help as much in Eli’s bounce back year as the new offense. Not everyone is a good QB coach and we saw the huge drop from Sullivan to Ryan in Eli’s play. While some of that was the players around and some poor play calling I think it was also coaching. Eli while a professional is not his brother and I think he needs a high quality QB coach to keep on him about the finer points of footwork. I think we have that this year and it will make Eli much more accurate.

This is really a critical year for Eli. After two rough seasons it’s only human to have some doubts. He’ll turn 34 this year. He should have 3-4 good years left … but sometimes it can go a lot sooner. The team has stepped up and put more talent around him. It’s on his shoulders now. We all need him to show that he’s still got the magic.

4.  rlhjr says:

Perhaps Eli’s strongest suit is his ability to assimilate information and apply said information on field. The dude is “off the hook” intelligent. Many are indeed fooled by the polite rural exterior. As I’ve said more than a few times, Eli is a trained cold blooded killer.

5.  G-MenFan says:

How does a below average ex-NFL quarterback who, as an Eagle, lost a Super Bowl to the first Wild Card team to ever win one, and who absolutely flat-out sucked on a pretty good Rams team now suddenly qualify as an expert on NFL quarterbacking?
    Answer: He doesn’t. Go away Jaworski. You bother me.