The entire situation seemed like a rather odd hoax — or perhaps something put on by an unstable ex-girlfriend — but was "substantiated" when Radar Online published an interview with Mendez, which outlined an alleged romance between the two, while also detailing an alleged affair, sexual transgressions and even a love child.
Mendez later "denied" giving Radar Online that interview and accompanying text messages, but maintained that she was Beckham's fiance and had a long-standing relationship with his family.
In the end, absolutely none of it was true. Radar Online was hoaxed, the New York Daily News was hoaxed and the NFL, who started an investigation into the matter, was hoaxed. As it turns out, Mendez doesn't even exist in the traditional sense, but rather, is an elaborately created online persona combining a fake name with photos acquired from two Los Angeles-based photographers — a persona that has now been exposed by The Big Lead.
The woman whose likeness has been associated with "Mendez" is actually a model by the name of Dior Patterson, and she has publicly denied knowing Odell Beckham Jr. and the Beckham family. She also revealed — although this will not come as much of a surprise — that her photographers have been used in association with "Erica Mendez" without permission and that she may seek to file a lawsuit.
The origins of this semi-Catfish situation have been traced back to his days at LSU and appears to be quite elaborate, with multiple fake online personalities all loosely tying into the "Erica Mendez" persona as a means by which to substantiate the character. Ultimately, like most Catfish situations, this hoax has now been exposed, though the perpetrator remains anonymous.
It's likely an investigation will continue into the matter, but given how elaborate this hoax was, the chances the the perpetrator is found is slim to none. If nothing else, at least Beckham Jr. can rest a little easier now.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Erica Mendez Denies She Gave Interview to Radar Online; Still Claims She’s Odell Beckham’s Fiancée
- Odell Beckham Jr. the Possible Target of an Unsettling Hoax; New York Giants, NFL are Investigating
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning
- Shaquille O’Neal Dumps Dallas Cowboys; Pledges Allegiance to Giants After Drafting Odell Beckham Jr.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1be5