Although he was not officially arrested, Denver police issued (and then dismissed) a warrant for Denver Broncos safety T.J. Ward this past Thursday stemming from his involvement in the alleged assault of a strip club bartender back on May 10th. The warrant initially charged Ward with misdemeanor assault and disturbing the peace.
Following an investigation of the incident, coupled with witness statements, police reportedly concluded that Ward had thrown a glass mug at the female bartender after she had poured out his drink, which was apparently brought in from outside the club.
Police also noted that Ward was at the club with an entourage that included fellow Broncos teammate, Terrance Knighton and former Broncos cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who is now a member of the New York Giants. However, based on video surveillance and the aforementioned witness statements, police determined that neither Knighton nor DRC were directly involved in the altercation — Ward was alone at the bar at the time.
"He picks up a glass mug that is sitting on the bar and tosses/throws the glass mug at her. The male then walks away," the court document said.
Josh Arnold, Ward's agent, released a statement on Friday night:
"The situation that presented itself within the media yesterday involving T.J. has been misconstrued. He was never arrested, there will be no booking, and the warrant that was erroneously issued has been canceled. At this point he has been issued a simple ticket/citation. T.J. would like to thank all of his supporters, and he's looking forward to continuing a productive offseason as he prepares for his first year as a Denver Bronco."
As it relates to Rodgers-Cromartie, he does not appear to be a person of interest, but may be required to give a statement and/or appear in court as a witness.
Ward's next court hearing is scheduled for June 23rd.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Visit Giants on Sunday After Leaving Jets Meeting Without Deal
- Denver Broncos CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Visit with New York Giants
- Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to Take Physical for New York Giants on Monday
- New York Giants, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Agree to 5-Year, $39 Million Deal
- New York Giants Plan to Have Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Covering Opponents No. 1
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bb5