New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Defends New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan

May 23rd, 2014 at 11:00 AM

It's a rarity that New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin and New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan are lumped together — after all, the two could not possibly have more drastic differences in personality. However, like many of us, family always comes first for the New York head coaches, and that's why Coughlin was quick to come to Ryan's defense during a four-part NFL Network special called "Coach Speak" when Ryan was ask about leaving the Jets during final cuts last summer.

"If that's all you have to write about, then you have to think about your job," Coughlin said.

After leaving the team to watch his son's first game at Clemson, New York beat writers and other National media members were quick to lash out at Ryan and question his commitment to the team. It was a story that lingered for quite some time, but a decision Ryan does not regret and won't shy away from.

"It was the first college game. It's something that I'd do a zillion times over again," Ryan said. "What's great is that I think there were five other coaches that did the same thing, I'm the only one they singled out for some reason. … But you know what, they can write it next year, too. If I get that opportunity, I'll go again."

In addition to Coughlin defending Ryan, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh spoke up, saying "That's a joke right there. That's comical. That just shows you how ignorant whoever wrote that is."

In his first year as an NFL head coach, Ryan opted to skip the birth of his son Seth, but has long since regretted it. As such, when Seth walked on at Clemson and played his first game at wide receiver, Ryan decided he wasn't going to make the same mistake. Unfortunately, that's grounds for attack in the New York media and they were relentless.

Thankfully, Ryan has now received some support from his peers for a choice nearly every single one of us would have made if we were in the same position — including the very same beat writers who criticized Ryan for it.

Tags: Football, John Harbaugh, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin

7 Responses to “New York Giants’ Tom Coughlin Defends New York Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan”

re-posting and awaiting the tsunami of comments about insane optimism (nope….just a degree of optimism and a determination not to make judgments in the absence of evidence).

fanfor55years says:
    May 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM
    It’s almost as if David Wilson, potentially one of the game-changers in the NFL, is a forgotten man.

He and JPP are just laying in the weeds, yesterday’s news, ready to dramatically change the fortunes of this team if they both come back healthy as it appears is increasingly likely.

I think we’re all so shell-shocked from the past two seasons that we have all (well, except for GIANTT, and thank goodness for him) turned toward skepticism which may well be greater than justified.

IF we can stay healthy ( a big “if” of late) I’m seeing a lot more upside for this team than I think I believed in even as recently as a few weeks ago. I think the “sneaky” additions that few are focused upon but may really help are McClain, Manningham, Thurman and Brown. I think the “unconsidered” likely upgrades that no one believes in are Mosley and Hosley. I have a lot more belief in the defensive front than many appear to have (largely because I think the loss of Tuck and Joseph are much less than most believe and the addition of Hankins as a starter, Ayers, Bromley and the re-signing of Patterson are way more valuable than most believe).

Problems? Sure. No clear solution at tight end. Will Hill in limbo. Eli’s blind side protection still a question mark after a horrendous season from Beatty. Can the offense mature into the new system soon enough to avoid an early-season tailspin against a tough schedule? Are JPP and Wilson healthy and ready to produce equal to their capabilities? But each of those issues could still resolve itself in camp. As I look at the roster I am concluding that it is way too soon to count this team out of championship contention. I know that’s contrary to what I’ve said before, but I’m always testing assumptions I make about anything. I’ve been tending toward assuming the worst on a number of these issues. That’s stupid until we have more evidence. So I’m going to hold my judgment in abeyance until I see more.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

How can we NOT be skeptical?

David Wilson isn’t forgotten. He’s highly overrated by everyone on this site. I was never sold on Wilson, and i’m still not. I think he’s hurt the team more than he’s helped so far. And he’s coming off a serious injury. Yeah, he has “home run” ability, blah blah. But he’s gotta get on the field first. And he has to hold on to the football. Scoring a 65 yd TD in garbage time or a 90 yd in preseason doesn’t impress me.

As for JPP, well, time will tell. But he expects a HUGE payday after this year, and the only way he gets it is if he has 13 or more sacks. If not, we are lowballing him and he will be someone elses problem. I also think people are over hyping the Robert Ayers signing. He’s decent, but don’t expect a world beater out there. Hopefully he’ll be better than I expect.

That said, you are right FF55, I DO think we improved this roster greatly. But I will not hold my breath on JPP or Wilson to become world beaters this year.

And, oh, the writers who criticized Ryan for what he did would be the first to seize upon a chance to write about coaches being absentee fathers and therefore despicable. The media has a LOT of time and space to fill up since consumers apparently cannot get enough sports news. So garbage gets created regularly. Look at this stuff regarding Beckham. It’s almost certainly some crazy woman literally making things up out of her fantasy life. But once uttered the words take on a life of their own and the public cannot get enough of it.

Take a self-test. Here are two headlines:

Russia Signs $300 Billion Oil-and-Gas Deal With China

French Prime Minister Acknowledges Third Girlfriend

Which one are you going to read first (or at all)? Which one has any consequences in the world? Okay, so now you know why this garbage gets regularly produced. It ain’t gonna stop. And Rex Ryan has made himself an easy target. He didn’t deserve that criticism, but the world is what it is…..

•  BigBlueGiant says:

THIS!

love this post!

Also, I happen to like Rex Ryan. And he’s a terrific coach despite his antics. Also, he’s a REALLY nice person.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST:! GOAT56 says:
    May 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Your concerns about TE are fair. But RB? We are not asking anyone to be AP. Just solid to good NFL RBs. Think about the profile of guys like Bradshaw, Ward, Jacobs and even Brown before we got quality play from them. With RB having 3 above average guys is what works in the NFL. Look at Denver’s running attack last year. Or NE attack since Corey Dillon. Its much the same. I think you’re trying to find a top level guy when that’s not the goal. The issue last year where our options ended up being borderline NFL RBs. I don’t think that’s the case with Jennings, Williams or Wilson you can argue how good each is on their merits but they are all NFL RBs with above average talent.

100% I have concerns about the RB’s. You see what we’re working with? A guy who has fumble problems and a bad neck who also hasn’t done much in games except in garbage time, a 3rd stringer from OAKLAND who played well when he got the time, coming into a new offense that he has to learn and a rookie thatin all honesty might turn out to be the BEST of the group. How can you NOT be a little skeptical about this running game?

And i’m not looking for an AP. Or CJ2 in his prime. I’ll settle for good. But calling this group a 3 headed monster is a bit silly. Right now, they’re more like the 3 Amigos. Hopefully they’ll be adequate. Which i think they will be. But i’m still uncertain about the group. They’re all unproven.

4.  rlhjr says:

Give Rex Ryan this Giants defense and see how it goes. The guy is one of only a few coaches who runs a defense that can keep Belachek awake at night.
    Rex Ryan knows defense and understands how to spot and use defensive talent.

If the Jets do get rid of him, Mara should take him on as D coordinator johnny on the spot. And in a settled structured environment, and given help with the offense, Sexy Rexy could be a pretty good head coach. Just let him oversee the defense.