The New York Giants may have re-signed Curtis Painter and added Josh Freeman earlier this offseason, but quarterback Ryan Nassib has not changed his approach as a result. Rather, the second-year QB out of Syracuse has come into 2014 with the same sort of attitude that has helped lead him this far. And, like many of his teammates, he welcomes the new additions and the competition they bring with them with open arms.
"I don’t really see [the additions as any sort of implication]. It’s the same reason why they bring in guys for other positions. It’s just trying to create competition, trying to make guys better, trying to make guys play at their best at all times," Nassib said. "I want to go out there and play the best that I can, earn my position and leave it all out there. Then the chips will fall where they may."
Nassib also thinks he has a leg-up this season, saying his progressing from 2013 to 2014 is like "night and day," also noting that Ben McAdoo's offensive system is a lot more similar to the one he ran at Syracuse than Kevin Gilbride's system from a year ago.
"I think my progress from this offseason compared to last year is like night and day. I didn’t have to deal with the draft and all of those workouts and stuff like that like I had last year. Now all I have to do is focus in on what we have to do here," Nassib said.
Ideally, Nassib would win the back-up job outright — at least that's what the Giants are hoping for. But with a new offense comes a clean slate, and both Painter and Freeman are experienced NFL veterans who would like to catch on as well. If nothing else, all three view this as an audition and are hoping that if they don't stick with the Giants, their preseason performance will earn them an opportunity elsewhere.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- NFL Exec: New York Giants’ Ryan Nassib Better than All Quarterbacks in 2014 NFL Draft
- New York Giants Tuesday Morning Storylines: Big Blue Hopes Ryan Nassib Moves up Depth Chart
- New York Giants Unlikely to Sign Cowboys DE Anthony Spencer; Scared Off from Health Concerns
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b8p