May 22nd, 2014 at 3:00 PM

The New York Giants may have re-signed Curtis Painter and added Josh Freeman earlier this offseason, but quarterback Ryan Nassib has not changed his approach as a result. Rather, the second-year QB out of Syracuse has come into 2014 with the same sort of attitude that has helped lead him this far. And, like many of his teammates, he welcomes the new additions and the competition they bring with them with open arms.

"I don’t really see [the additions as any sort of implication]. It’s the same reason why they bring in guys for other positions. It’s just trying to create competition, trying to make guys better, trying to make guys play at their best at all times," Nassib said. "I want to go out there and play the best that I can, earn my position and leave it all out there. Then the chips will fall where they may."

Nassib also thinks he has a leg-up this season, saying his progressing from 2013 to 2014 is like "night and day," also noting that Ben McAdoo's offensive system is a lot more similar to the one he ran at Syracuse than Kevin Gilbride's system from a year ago.

"I think my progress from this offseason compared to last year is like night and day. I didn’t have to deal with the draft and all of those workouts and stuff like that like I had last year. Now all I have to do is focus in on what we have to do here," Nassib said.

Ideally, Nassib would win the back-up job outright — at least that's what the Giants are hoping for. But with a new offense comes a clean slate, and both Painter and Freeman are experienced NFL veterans who would like to catch on as well. If nothing else, all three view this as an audition and are hoping that if they don't stick with the Giants, their preseason performance will earn them an opportunity elsewhere.

Tags: Curtis Painter, Football, Josh Freeman, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Ryan Nassib

14 Responses to “New York Giants’ Ryan Nassib not Scared of Competition; Feels He’s Progressed Greatly”

On another note, my son just sent me the interview with Adrien Robinson. What a dope! Sounds like this kid was clueless his first two seasons here and is neither a rocket scientist nor someone who has that internal drive to become the best he can. Hey, he could turn it around, but it would not surprise me if he gets supplanted at some point by Grimble. That kid DOES have the drive to excel.

You don’t have to be a genius to be a terrific football player, but if you don’t have that internal drive to succeed no amount of athletic talent is going to be enough. I hope Robinson finds it in himself to want to get better each and every day, but I’m now pretty skeptical and he’s going to have to prove it before I’ll believe it.

•  rlhjr says:

Would this have been discernable during his interviews BEFORE the kid was drafted? Or did he lie during his interviews about key questions?

Still you would think scouts/evaluators are more likely to believe what they see vice what a youngster tells them. Surely they have heard a thousand lies over the years on the job. They should be able to spot a fraud a mile away.

As far as ability goes, tape really does not lie. You either can or can not.
      So what about Robinson allowed him to be drafted in the first place? It’s hard to hide dumb and uninspired once you’re asked to speak.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Grimble? An undrafted FA TE who’s as athletic as a rock? Don’t get too excited about this kid.

Also, Robinson should worry about making this team more than anything else. If Grimble, Donnell, and Fells outplay him, i have no reason to believe that he may make the roster.

We are not ones to cut draft picks random free agents. It would have to be a case where those 3 clearly outplayed him and they just didn’t see Robinson getting it. Austin was the exception not the rule. We rarely cut top 4 round draft picks before their rookie contract is over.

I’m not a betting man (well, my career has required that I make enormous bets on many occasions, but I don’t bet generally except in occasional poker games), but I’m willing to bet that Nassib eventually starts at quarterback for an NFL team. I have great belief in the Giants’ scouting system and if they traded up to get him in last year’s fourth round but wouldn’t do so to get Andre Williams (whom I will continue to insist was the steal of the draft) then this kid can really play.

Throw out his performances in last year’s preseason. Those were behind a bunch of offensive linemen who should have been embarrassed to claim they were football players, in a Gilbride system filled out by young receivers who were trying to make the team without knowing what they were supposed to do. Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Andrew Luck, and Eli would have all looked awful under those circumstances.

I haven’t seen him play much, so I’m going on faith in our evaluation process. He will be good.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I’ll see your bet on Nassib and raise you a dinner at The Palms (all expenses paid for by the loser) if Nassib ends up starting for an NFL team in the next 3 years.

He’s doody.

3.  rlhjr says:

The best part about the roster that Reese has assembled is the mixture of youth and youthful veterans that have been thrown together. If the offensive and defensive units gel, there is no question they can be head and shoulders better than what was fielded last campaign.

Of particular interest is the status of left offensive tackle and guard and the type and amount of production from Moore, Hankins and Ayers. It would certainly help if any offensive production could be had from the TE position and that is inclusive of pass/run blocking.

If the two lines function well, there is chance of playing meaningful games in December. But we are talking five positions (2 defense 3 offense) that are critical to this team’s success. And that is taking for granted that running backs and wide receivers will pan out. Big questions to be answered for sure.

I think we can pretty much anticipate what we’ll get from Hankins and Ayers. The latter is a solid, NFL-average-or-a-little-better DE who is good against the run and hopes to go QB-hunting here. The former was just too good as a run-stopper at Ohio State to not be capable of that in the NFL, and he showed some talent in limited play last season. The wild card is Moore. He could be anywhere from not all that useful to an emerging star. Very hard to predict, especially because he is so young. But we know one thing from last season: given enough chances, he WILL make plays.

This may be a “muddle through” year at tight end. I hope not but it’s hard to predict more than that until we see evidence of better.

I think (contrary to many) that Snee will be okay, so I think the only real question is Beatty, and I think we could always move Pugh over there if necessary and have someone else play on the right side and do an adequate job. I suspect the O-line will be at least NFL-average this season, and on its way to much better.

It’s the rough schedule that worries me. And how long it ill take to get used to a new offense. But the direction should be good. If they’re playing meaningful games in late December they could be very good by then as the team coalesces after the first half of the season. But they have to survive that long and I don’t know if they will this season. Watch out for the Giants in 2015, when I suspect they will be a powerhouse based on one more good draft.

I like the upside of Hankins and think you very well might be right on what he will be. But how he will perform is much more uncertain than what you state. Not only does he have to perform well but he has to do so at starters snaps while also being durable. Hankins did have a stamina issue in college. And IMO we can’t afford Hankins not to be ready for all 3 of those. Patterson at this point of his career is in the exact role he should be and asking for more than 3rd DT snaps could be an issue. And I really like the upside of Bromley, I have seen over the years that expecting anything much from a rookie DT is foolish.

Players just like young adults all get it at different times. Robinson seeing the value of his second contract up in the air might have just realize how important the little things are and working extra hard. Robinson providing a presence like Ballard did in 2011 doesn’t take great intellect.

To me the DL is somewhat of a concern though I think we will be fine. An injury to Hankins or Moore that has them out extended time is not something we can afford. The concerns OL and DL are similar except I feel better about the depth on the OL. I see the age of Jenkins, Kiwi and Patterson as a real concern. It’s similar to Diehl, Snee and Bass the last few years on the OL. At some point Jenkins especially is going to be slowed greatly and maybe injured dealing with father time. Hopefully it’s not this year.

I’m not worried about the schedule. The west has 4 good football teams. But I think 3 are very beatable if we are a good team.

4.  BBWC says:

I hoping that Nassib gets some playing time with the starters this year so we can get some kind of idea on were he’s at. Right now we really don’t know…. and I’m also a little scared that Freeman will be getting all the reps and we’ll have to wait another year to find out… which totally sucks because I like Nassib and I’m dying to see how he’s progressed. I believe he’s going to be a good QB when his time comes.

It doesn’t have to be starters, just the second team. Last year he was playing mainly with like 4th string guys.

•  Since 1963 says:

John Mara said that he wanted Nassib to get snaps in preseason. So I think that’s a good bet.

I don’t think our roster can afford to keep both a 3rd QB and a return specialist. That’s basically 2 extra spots on the roster that can’t help you in other areas should injuries arise. Which is why it would really help us if Nassib won the backup job because he’s basically guaranteed a roster spot. Also it’s why I think Holiday is far from a roster lock. With so many KOs being touchbacks and him not being a great PR is it really worth keeping him for just that role when Wilson or Demps are possibly just as good. And someone like Beckham, James maybe even Jernigan emerge as a PR. But my real sleeper in the PR race is Hosley. Hosley is a bigtime athlete who before wasn’t pushed hard to be PR because he was our 3rd CB. Now with him being probably our 4th CB at best it makes sense to really see what he can do as PR. None of these guys have to be better than Holiday IMO just be close enough that keeping holiday doesn’t make sense.