It's become commonplace for people to post something controversial on social media and then claim they were hacked. However, it's a little bit more difficult for a person to grant an interview and later claim it was untrue after it makes National headlines. Yet, that's exactly what Erica Mendez did on Wednesday, alleging that her interview with Radar Online that allegedly "exposed" Odell Beckham's transgressions was "faked" and "not true."
“The slanderous story posted … about my personal relationship with Odell Beckham Jr. is vastly inaccurate, to say the least,” Mendez told the New York Daily News. “Blatant lies are riddled throughout the story.”
The story, which spread like wild fire earlier this week, painted a poor picture of the Giants' first-round pick and his torrid "relationship" with Mendez, who had claimed and continues to claim is the long-time fiancee of the former LSU star.
However, Beckham Jr. and his family maintain that they don't even know who Mendez is or why she's spreading these rumors. The family has not only hired an attorney, but have both the Giants and the NFL investigating the situation.
It's something Mendez has dismissed as unnecessarily, claiming she's already spoken to Beckham Jr. about the situation.
“I am completely disheartened by this turn of events and it has placed a toll on Odell and (my) personal relationship. I have a deep love for the Beckham family and I'm truly disgusted by the claims RadarOnline.com has made against me, which I will be taking legal action against,” she added. “I’ve known Odell for a while. He was completely caught off guard by this … I did hear from Odell, and he was highly upset. It’s a horrible situation, and he doesn’t deserve for his name to be slandered.”
In addition to the Radar Online interview and the text message she reportedly provided them, a woman claiming to be Mendez has popped up on various Giants-related websites, forums and message boards posting equally slandering material about the young wideout.
The bizarre nature of this situation is alarming — especially given what happened to Manti Te'o only a year ago — and one both the Giants and the league are taking very seriously.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Odell Beckham Jr. the Possible Target of an Unsettling Hoax; New York Giants, NFL are Investigating
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- Bill Polian Likes Giants’ Pick of Odell Beckham; Says He’s Major Upgrade Over Hakeem Nicks
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b8i