May 21st, 2014 at 10:00 AM

With the exception of a solid all-around season by Martellus Bennett 2012, there's not been much to write home about when it comes to the New York Giants and their tight ends in recent years. It's for that reason the level of concern at the position is at an all-time high entering 2014 — a level of concern that was essentially topped off when the team decided to forego drafting a tight end in the NFL Draft.

But, perhaps, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

In addition to the arrival of USC tight end Xavier Grimble, who signed as an undrafted rookie free agent (UDFA), Big Blue does also have 2012 fourth-round pick Adrien Robinson — once dubbed the "JPP of tight ends" — on their roster. And after a shaky start to his career, the matured Robinson now seems to grasp what it takes to succeed at the next level and is approaching 2014 as if it's his last chance to make a serious impact.

"It's just a huge opportunity. They laid a huge opportunity in front of me. I just have to go take it, make the most of it," Robinson said. "I do feel that pressure. I know it's my third year. Like you said, 'it's now or never.' That is my mentality that I'm taking every day."

Robinson admits he's made some mistakes early in his career, most notably not going the extra mile when he's away from the team. He also admitted he let his weight get a bit out of control, ballooning up to 285 lbs. last year before, ultimately, being lost for the season due to injury. But he's now back down to 270 with a goal set at 265, and he's hoping his new attitude towards health and success will yield results on the field.

"I wasn't working out as much myself off the field, doing extra stuff. So my weight went up," he said. "Getting older and stuff, now it's something I have to focus on."

However, Robinson isn't the only one eyeing the starting job at tight end. The aforementioned Xavier Grimble has come in with a chip on his shoulder, ready to prove to all 31 other NFL teams that they made a mistake in passing him up.

"While I was at USC, I think that was one thing we always focused on, was being an all-around tight end, which seems to be sometimes lost in the game," Grimble said. "I want to be the guy who can block and catch passes, have an all-around game."

Grimble added that he has always been coached "if you don't block, you don't play" — something that is certain to make head coach Tom Coughlin a happy man.

With any luck, these two will push each other and the remaining tight ends on the roster to perform well above early expectations.

Tags: Adrien Robinson, Football, Martellus Bennett, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Xavier Grimble

10 Responses to “Adrien Robinson, Xavier Grimble Look to Turn New York Giants’ Tight End Fortunes Around”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

Tremendous opportunity is exactly what these two unproven entities have. They have a shot at possibly starting and producing for the New York Giants.

However, I am still very skeptical on all our TE’s. hopefully it won’t hurt our offense last year like not having a quality LB did to our defense until Beason came along.

only time will tell, but I think we might be bringing in a FA to play TE at some point.

Actually, I think the blocking part of the position should be well taken care of by the three we have. The only question is will they represent receiving targets, especially in the Red Zone (outside of the Red Zone the old Green Bay offense didn’t really require the tight ends to be very important targets).

I think the best bet there is Robinson. He’s never going to be the equal as a receiver to the kid you wanted us to draft, but he doesn’t have to become that. The equivalent of Kevin Boss would be absolutely adequate. And Grimble could get to that point too.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

I really hope you’re right about the blocking schemes for the TE’s. But in all honesty, i’m just not sure about any of these guys.

2.  G-MenFan says:

I’m usually an optimist when it comes to the Giants.

But Adrien Robinson has started to remind me of William Joseph. Of course I hope I’m wrong but if I’m not, I sure hope the Grimble kid can play some TE in this league.

3.  GIANTT says:

The Giants have cap room to pick up a free agent if these guys dont cut it in preseason and they will have money to sign someone god forbid they need to pick up a free agent due to injury . You always hope that wont be the case but the Giants have shown a slight tendency to injury so …..

I have to say that when you watch the interviews with all of our rookies you cannot help but be impressed. The all seem awfully mature, intelligent, and very aware of what they have to do in order to play for the Giants.

The one who surprised me the most was Behre. I’m now willing to bet that kid makes the team. He’s intelligent, has a very professional attitude, will certainly come in with a chip on his shoulder and something to prove, and loves the hitting. I really hope the team doesn’t dump Will Hill but suspect that Nat Behre was brought in as insurance against the need to do so, though I still think he has the look of that hybrid player who could also push that dope Jacquain Williams for his position at WILL.

It also looks to me that Kennard is going to push Herzlich off the team (or deeper on the depth chart) since he’s being groomed as a backup at both MLB and SAM.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Kennard wasn’t bad at USC. Injury slowed him down his senior year. But I think he could emerge as a better player than Williams.

•  rlhjr says:

“They all seem awfully mature, intelligent, and very aware of what they have to do in order to play for the Giants”

I like those things about the youngsters 55. But can they PLAY?

I love the intangibles, but these kids need the raw athletic prowess to killer instinct to excel on the field. If not, they are just nice guys who will succeed outside of football and live happily ever after.