Training camp has not yet started, rosters are not yet filled out and already the New York Giants are not getting much love in the media or from Las Vegas odds-makers.
Only a few days after Football Outsiders projected the Giants to finish with a 9-7 record (second place in the NFC East behind the Philadelphia Eagles), Vegas has set Big Blue's over/under on wins in 2014 at 7.5. In other words, a .500 finish or better — something they've done all but once since 2005 — would be enough to win any hardcore fan willing to bet or routine gambler some big money.
For comparison purposes, Vegas set the over/under on Big Blue wins for the 2013 at 9. The Giants, of course, started 0-6 and ultimately finished the season with a 7-9 record.
Considering the "all in" mentality the Giants have taken this offseason, adding 40+ contracts to their 2014 payroll, it would be considered an epic failure for the team to once again finish with a 7-9 record, while missing the playoffs for the third consecutive year. In fact, that would very likely end with a "cleaning house" scenario many expected coming into this offseason.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- ESPN’s NFL Nation Predicts: New York Giants Will Finish 9-7 in 2014
- 2014 New York Giants Tickets Among Top 5 Most Expensive in NFL: Report
- New York Giants Projected to Finish 9-7 in 2014; Finish Second in NFC East Behind Eagles
- New York Giants Nearly Had a Three-Game Road Trip Versus NFC East Opponents in 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b6v