Vegas Sets Over/Under on New York Giants’ 2014 Win Total at 7.5

May 20th, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Training camp has not yet started, rosters are not yet filled out and already the New York Giants are not getting much love in the media or from Las Vegas odds-makers.

Only a few days after Football Outsiders projected the Giants to finish with a 9-7 record (second place in the NFC East behind the Philadelphia Eagles), Vegas has set Big Blue's over/under on wins in 2014 at 7.5. In other words, a .500 finish or better — something they've done all but once since 2005 — would be enough to win any hardcore fan willing to bet or routine gambler some big money.

For comparison purposes, Vegas set the over/under on Big Blue wins for the 2013 at 9. The Giants, of course, started 0-6 and ultimately finished the season with a 7-9 record.

Considering the "all in" mentality the Giants have taken this offseason, adding 40+ contracts to their 2014 payroll, it would be considered an epic failure for the team to once again finish with a 7-9 record, while missing the playoffs for the third consecutive year. In fact, that would very likely end with a "cleaning house" scenario many expected coming into this offseason.

Meanwhile, Vegas sets the Eagles' over/under at 9 games, the Dallas Cowboys over/under at 8 games and the Washington Redskins' over/under at 7.5 games.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington, Washington Redskins

6 Responses to “Vegas Sets Over/Under on New York Giants’ 2014 Win Total at 7.5”

The over looks like a pretty reasonable bet to me. But there’s that NFC West schedule. I think an awful lot depends upon whether Beckham can produce quickly and JPP returns to 2011 form. If both of those things happen this team should win more than 7.5 games without much trouble. If neither happens it’s going to be a tough season.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

as a gambling man, It SEEMS like a good bet. However, i really don’t know what to expect this year from the Giants.

I’m thinking 7-9 or 8-8. But can easily see 6-10 or 10-6.

Well, I remain in the 8-10 win school so if I did sports bets I’d definitely take that one. Gun-to-my-head I’d say 4-2 in the division and 9-7, but I’ve no confidence in my prediction at the moment. I think we’ll know a LOT more as camp unfolds.

I’ll say this: any good news regarding Mosley, Robinson, JPP and Beckham (and finding out that Walton is healthy) would be very good news indeed.

Sitting here in the lodge at Shenandoah National Park and I find out the Vegas bettors say we’re no better this year than last. Awesome.

Will Hill. … It’s simple … Stop smoking weed you a$$hole. If he can’t then no matter how much potential he has he’s never going to realize it .. because this sh1t will dog him his entire career.

4.  GIANTT says:

Of course , being a HUGE optimist (there , I said it ) and having watched the free agent signings , I cant see how Vegas says this is the same team . For one thing ,these free agents are HEALTHY .but on the other hand I think that maybe that Vegas is not too optimistic about implementing a new offense and getting the necessary wins until they get comfortable running it .