Although the New York Giants spent the vast majority of their early offseason focus on shoring up their defense, few additions were made along the defensive line. In fact, the signing of Robert Ayers was the only transaction truly noteworthy, and even that came on the heels of Justin Tuck's departure (Oakland Raiders). As such, there's some space available at defensive end and the competition is wide open.
While Jason Pierre-Paul, Mathias Kiwanuka, Damontre Moore and Ayers are shoe-ins, a spot on the 53-man roster at that position remains available. It's for that very reason that Richmond Spiders defensive end Kerry Wynn ultimately decided to sign with Big Blue as an undrafted rookie free agent (UDFA).
"I was trying to see what was the best situation for my family and I. After to talking to my agent and some of the teams, we were able to settle on the Giants, and I was happy about that decision," Wynn told The Star-Ledger. "You know, they didn't draft any defensive ends and I feel like I have a good chance and a good opportunity. That's why I took it."
It didn't hurt Wynn's case that, like many of the Giants' draft picks, he was also a team captain at Richmond. And while that alone won't win him a job, it's a good start for a player who didn't even pick up a football until he had only two years remaining in High School.
"As high school came around, my 10th grade year, I decided this was something I wanted to try again and ever since, the passion has been there," Wynn said.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Jameel McClain Views Signing with New York Giants as Chance to “Re-Create” Himself
- Robert Ayers Looks Forward to Fresh Start with New York Giants; Felt Misused by Denver Broncos
- New York Giants Announce Signing of Five UDFA; Release Four Others, Including QB Rusty Smith
- New England Patriots Could Be Potential Landing Spot for New York Giants WR Hakeem Nicks
- Are New York Giants Making Mistake by not Signing Jon Beason Prior to Start of Free Agency?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b5k