After coming out of High School as the Nation's most highly touted tight end, Xavier Grimble's USC career failed to live up to expectations. As a result of poor production and three years that many termed a letdown, Grimble went undrafted in the 2014 NFL Draft, but eventually signed as an undrafted rookie free agent (UDFA) with the New York Giants.
Cue the hype machine.
Despite the aforementioned lack of production during his college career and the reality that 32 teams passed on him seven times, Grimble has been built up like he's the next Mark Bavaro in Giants land. It's already become a running joke amongst beat writers that he's an eventual shoe-in for the Hall of Fame and the fans have certainly bought into/added to the hype.
Chalk Grimble's former head coach, Ed Orgeron, up as another one who buys into that hype. Even before Grimble went undrafted, Orgeron had penciled him in as an NFL All-Pro.
“I think Xavier is going to be an All-Pro in the NFL,” Orgeron told FOXSports.com. “He has an unusual body size for a tight end that looks like a left tackle. He can block, run and catch and he’s a great young man."
Meanwhile, Grimble now says he feels like an underdog and is ready to prove to the world he's still the best at his position.
“Can’t wait to prove myself, man,” Grimble said. “I feel like the underdog now. I was the guy who had a lot of expectations. I showed some flashes but I didn’t really get to max out. That’s what I’m looking forward to. I want to get out there and rip it up.”
Grimble officially arrived in East Rutherford on Thursday and was promptly given pads, a helmet and sent onto the field. And, to his credit, he's spent his spare time watching film of the player he eventually hopes to become.
Xavier Grimble (@justfollowZae23) May 18, 2014
You gotta admit, that's not a bad way to get the fans even more hyped up.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants to Sign USC TE Xavier Grimble; Awarded OT Jamaal Johnson-Webb Off Waivers
- Mel Kiper Jr. Mocks Eric Ebron, Xavier Su’a-Filo to New York Giants
- Jets Head Coach Rex Ryan “Pissed” That Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie Signed with Giants
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b4e