Although former USC tight end Xavier Grimble has dominated the undrafted rookie free agent (UDFA) hype machine for the New York Giants, he's not the only player Big Blue added who has tremendous upside. And while examining all UDFA who have signed across the league, CBS Sports predicts that it's Quarles, not Grimble, who has the best shot at making the Giants' 53-man roster.
New York Giants — DT Kelcy Quarles, South Carolina: A player with questionable character, both on and off the field, Quarles didn't do himself many favors during the pre-draft process, but he has the raw talent to stick at the next level. It was Quarles, not No. 1 overall pick Jadeveon Clowney, who led the Gamecocks in tackles for loss (13.5) and sacks (9.5) in 2013.
Quarles finished his final season at South Carolina as a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) and second-team All-American selection, and had a third-round tag on his head for quite some time. But it was the aforementioned "questionable character" that led to him going undrafted. And despite their character-first approach to the 2014 NFL Draft, the Giants took a bit of a gamble after the fact with the addition of Quarles.
So long as he can put his troubles behind him — troubles that include throwing a punch during a game against LSU — the young defensive tackle could have a bright future. That being said, given their recent issues with Will Hill, Quarles can expect to have a very short leash.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Add Four More UDFA; Waive DB Chaz Powell
- New York Giants Announce Signing of Five UDFA; Release Four Others, Including QB Rusty Smith
- New York Giants Considered Signing Michael Sam as UDFA Before He was Drafted by St. Louis Rams
- New York Giants Add Nine Undrafted Rookie Free Agents
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b4o