May 17th, 2014 at 10:55 AM
By Jen Polashock

Post-2014 Draft, much of the hullabaloo has been about the New York Giants’ healing quarterback Eli Manning and his new offensive coordinator Ben McAdoo’s changing offense. Surprisingly not much has been quipped about Perry Fewell’s top-rated defense of last year as they make their way into the physical part of the offseason.

While several players have been drafted for that defense, most alterations have been made via free agency and, in years past, tend to come again during the season — due to injury. Part of that turnover used to include shifting the scheme too. General Manager Jerry Reese has brought in players that are needs, but are smart, athletic and can play multiple positions (depth factor) to help a defensive backfield that was again plagued with injuries before a meaningful snap. There will be players back there and in the middle (see: linebacker Jon Beason) that should seriously prevent those nasty “communication issues” early on. Health is, of course, the lingering second half of that offseason restoration attempt.

Another commonality back there is leadership. At number one is (and has been) safety Antrel Rolle. While he feels the defensive backs will now be a cohesive strength, the fact that what he believes in is what will be — and it won’t be “simplified” later on.

"The way you keep it from getting complicated is everyone buying into the program at the same time," said Rolle Tuesday evening while at the United Way Gridiron Gala. "And sell that. Whatever the scheme is. That way, Perry doesn't have to mix and gamble and do so many different things to overcompensate for one unit and so forth and so on. But so far, so good. Everyone is buying into the system. We're learning, we're all learning at the same speed so it will be great."

It also sounds as if having everyone start out at the baseline in class will be not only the biggest asset, but one wide learning curve that will be avoided.

"Our energy level as opposed to the last couple years," said Rolle. "We're definitely on a pedestal right now. We're talking about energy level and more importantly how guys seem to be buying in and paying closer attention to detail. Film study, on-field, the competitiveness we have among each other is already insane. It's already a good thing."

The defensive backs have always had that particular way about them, the way they carry themselves — call it loose playing swagger or even blatant Giants Pride. It works, especially with ‘Trel leading them. Looking at No. 26, he too has simplified over the years. He’s altered his demeanor just a bit more towards the head coach Tom Coughlin way since winning a ring. He’s done more positive things with his voice as well as actions and gotten other players to buy into those words and beliefs for the sake of the team. That already is a good thing.

Tags: Antrel Rolle, Ben McAdoo, Eli Manning, Football, Jerry Reese, Jon Beason, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Perry Fewell, Tom Coughlin

7 Responses to “New York Giants’ Antrel Rolle: Defense Will not Need Simplification Again in 2014”

Repost:

GOAT56 says:
    May 16, 2014 at 4:05 PM
    I’m very excited to hear about Robinson and Donnell. I think both can be good players. I think Robinson was a little too heavy last year and should play in the 265-270 range, last year to me he looked 280. Athletically and blocking I expect them to be more than fine. I think he question will be how consistent hands they have. Donnell in limited time did struggle catching the ball last year.

Anyone questioning us adding a RB really doesn’t know our roster. Sorry but Hillis is a JAG and should either be our 4th RB or on the street. Cox has some talent but is not someone we can bet on. Wilson is coming off of a career threatening injury. And Jennings has never been the bell cox. A RB was very much needed and we got a good one in Williams. He takes away the questions about the RB group.

I sure hop Hill can stay here. He changes how I feel about this defense. With Hill this defense has a chance to be elite. Yes, the DL has questions but if the young players come through our DL can still be very good. With Hill this is the best back 7 we have had in decades.

I see Little got cut. He’s the type of WR I would like to add. Physically he has the make up of a WR that should excel on special teams. He is the bid WR we only have in Randle and has some upside. He’s on knows his NFL changes are dwindling. He could have a Hagan type impact.

kujo says:
    May 16, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Hagan was excellent at special teams BEFORE he became a Giant.

Does Greg “Can’t Catch Herpes in a People With Herpes Support Group” Little have a track record of being good on specials?

Krow says:
    May 16, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    I hope you’re right … but given that there’s almost no tape on Donnell … and none at all on Robinson … I have no idea what could possibly get you excited. They’re all we got … and we didn’t draft anyone … so sure, they have the proverbial inside track. But so what? There’s nothing to indicate that either is anything special … or for that matter anything at all.

fanfor55years says:
    May 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM
    There’s Coughlin saying that so far they’ve been doing very well in camp, for whatever that’s worth. Following right in the footsteps of the revered Ramses Barden of the eye-opening camp catches.

But hey, Coughlin doesn’t hand out praise easily so perhaps there’s something there. None of us have anything to go on because we’ve hardly seen them play. They’re certainly big enough that they should be decent blockers, and Robinson was a very strong blocker in college, but as for receiving, we’ve seen just about nada.

Hanshi says:
    May 17, 2014 at 5:32 AM
    Adrien Robinson

skinnydoogan says:
    May 17, 2014 at 7:47 AM
    Thanks for the video, I hope I am wrong about this guy. Just don’t understand why he has been such a mystery here.

•  Fran2Eli says:

No doubt he is athletic, one might go so far as to call him the JPP or TE’s. Him emerging into true weapon would be a real difference maker and a great red (blue) zone threat. We can only hope.

I didn’t think Hagan was excellent on special teams here. I mentioned him because like Little he got cut because he had issues with drops. But when Hagan got here that wasn’t an issue. To me the special teams ace was Thomas who for a short time as a WR special teamer might have been better than tyree. Little hasn’t really played special teams because he’s been a starter. He’s at a different juncture of his career now and his athleticism should project to a good special teams player especially for a WR. And he provides quality depth. Right now from our #6 WR on are nobodies so signing Little or someone like him makes a lot of sense to me.

The reason for the mystery about Robinson and Donnell is they were raw coming out of college. Now sometimes that’s said but it’s just an excuse. But look it up Robinson had only like 100 yards receiving as a TE his senior year. Now Cincinnati did use a spread that didn’t incorporate a TE in the passing game but that’s still far less than you see for a TE with his athleticism. Donnell was a college QB, think of a guy like Prior or Logan Thomas.

On Michael Sam. I understand F55′s viewpoint and he very well could be right. But I see it as a kid who didn’t fully realize the gravity of what his coming out would mean. So I do think him wanting to be just a football player was his initial thought but when he saw the impact he had he moved into more than just a football player. The show was a bad idea but I take it as trying to help people rather than for the fame. Plus I see him as not doing the show after only a few days as at least understanding the right course of action.

I’m not a fan of the circus atmosphere but I don’t think Sam will be that. They will limited his media access and that will not continuously add flame to the fire like Tebow when he was with the Jets. Now it still will be a significant story but a manageable one. I would have been for adding Sam because he’s a pass rusher. We could use another pass rusher.

3.  stuh says:

As for the Michael Sam thing the media is out of control. Why did they have to be in his home when he was being drafted in the last round and of course the kissing business is going to offend some people. As for Oprah these people will do anything to promote their network.
    If this kid wanted to be treated just like any one else he should have waited until after he was drafted. He probably would have been drafted higher too.

4.  Eric S says:

I agree with Goat here. As far as Dan’s response to my post a few threads back. We’ll just respectfully agree to disagree. If as you said a straight rookie 7th rounder wanted to film a documentary I sincerely doubt people would be up in arms and demanding his release as you say. Most people would simply roll their eyes and say who does this kid think he is. The team would likely tell him his film crew would get zero access and that would be that. But as a journalist I’m surprised you don’t seem to get that Michael Sam is not just another 7th round pick. He is in a unique and unprecedented situation in the NFL. By coming out he’s become a trailblazer and a hero to that community who’ve hitched their wagon to him. He’s young and finding his way in his new role. Some missteps are to be expected. In this case a documentary was ill advised but quickly rectified. No harm no foul.

Oh and you can bet that NFL Films will be there with their cameras and mics. Just as they are every year with every team.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

You honestly believe that? The Giants players are trashed every single day if they ever dare to do ANYTHING that isn’t football-related. I can catalog it I see it so often. The beat writers even make jokes about it. Every. Single. Day.

So, no. If anyone else did that, fans would flip sh*t. They already do. The proof is in the comments.