May 17th, 2014 at 7:00 AM

Happy Saturday, New York Giants fans! The weekend is upon us and it's poised to be a beautiful day, so enjoy these AM headlines before you head out on whatever journey awaits you. Just remember to check back throughout the day for more headlines and stories.

Ex-Giant Derrick Ward Still Thinks Michael Sam Kiss Was 'In Poor Taste' and 'Was Offensive'

Five days ago, former Giants running back Derrick Ward took to Twitter to say it was "disgusting" to see Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend on television after Rams drafted him, "gay or not."

On Thursday, the Super Bowl-winner sent out a statement with his response to what he said were death threats, insults and harassment after his tweets. Ultimately, his message was the behavior itself wasn't appropriate, no matter what the sexuality of the drafted player was, and that it was his right to say how it made him feel, though it's worth noting that we haven't heard from Ward when draftees shared a kiss with their girlfriends or wives.

His full statement can be read in the link above.

Mike McCarthy on Finley: 'In My Mind, He's a Packer'

Jermichael Finley's NFL career is currently on hold because of his neck injury. If he gets cleared to play football again, a return to Green Bay remains on the table.

"In my mind, he's a Green Bay Packer, hopefully," coach Mike McCarthy said on SiriusXM NFL Radio on Wednesday. "He's going through a tough medical situation that we all recognize is a serious injury. My understanding is he's doing everything and beyond to get himself ready, and we'll continue to watch that."

Judge Skeptical Of Remanding Fake Giants Memorabilia Suit

A New Jersey federal judge on Friday cast doubt on the efforts of a sports memorabilia dealer accusing the New York Giants of covering up the distribution of fake collectibles to return the case to state court, questioning whether elements of the suit were dressed up patent infringement claims.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Mark Falk reserved his decision and cautioned against drawing any assumptions based on Friday's arguments, but he grilled counsel for Eric Inselberg — who claims the team exposed him to mail fraud charges.

St. Pete Beach couple places Kid Cruz in Preakness

If Kid Cruz gets his nose to the finish line first today in the 139th Preakness Stakes at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, the snapshot will be etched forever in the minds of majority owners Steven Brandt and Rick Boylan of St. Pete Beach.

This will be the first Triple Crown race for Brandt and Boylan. Plans to run Kid Cruz in the Kentucky Derby were squashed when a sore shoulder led to the 3-year-old being withdrawn from the Wood Memorial on April 5 at Aqueduct. He has three wins from five starts and $161,375 in earnings. The colt is named after New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz.

Tags: Derrick Ward, Eric Inselberg, Football, Jermichael Finley, Michael Sam, Mike Mccarthy, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Victor Cruz

8 Responses to “Giants Saturday Morning Storylines: Ex-Giant Derrick Ward Thinks Michael Sam Kiss was “Offensive””

So Robert Mathis gets suspended for four games for using a fertility drug so his wife could get pregnant? Way to be family-supportive, NFL. Not to mention that now the Colts play without him against the Eagles but with him against the Giants. Thanks a lot.

Next we find out Will Hill is suspended for an entire season for smoking some dope.

This is all such a joke because masking agents have advanced to the point where at least some players are using PEDs that cannot be detected. And the league continues to consider an 18-game schedule and then expects players to do without the kind of biochemical support that allows for quicker recovery from injuries? It’s all so hypocritical.

Just based upon the “documentary” contract that wasn’t revealed to the NFL teams prior to the draft, I’m going to just come out and say I’m not a fan of Michael Sam. I couldn’t care less about his sexuality. I just have a feeling he’s a prima donna and we now KNOW that he is willing to manipulate the league by not making it clear that any team that took him was going to be subjected to additional scrutiny as the filmmakers undoubtedly will be looking for “pegs” upon which to hang their story and will certainly welcome ways to interpret Sam’s handling as less than politically correct.

I just know I wouldn’t want to be the guy who has to cut the kid. It will never be believed that it’s because he just isn’t good enough. I don’t know if that will prove to be the case, but it might. And I am VERY glad he isn’t on the Giants. We didn’t want Hard Knocks. Can you imagine what having Sam on the camp roster will bring?

And yeah, I know that the film has been canceled after the kid heard the criticism. I guess we can hope he’s just another dumb kid who made a mistake and will be fine. But he’s certainly no better than the idiots who smoke dope regularly and then lie about it when asked by the teams. And given who he is, he really needs to be aware that he has to be above suspicion of any bad behavior. This kid is in a position not all that different from Jackie Robinson’s. The latter was a perfect choice as a pioneer and covered himself with glory. Sam appears to me, at least so far, to possibly be the wrong guy to have bet on. The whole film thing shows a level of judgment that is sorely lacking and a desire for the spotlight that would be unattractive to many teams in the NFL. Hell, there are probably teams that passed on Manziel because of that and Johnny Football doesn’t carry as much baggage and burden as does Michael Sam.

And yeah, yeah, I know it isn’t fair to judge Sam by a higher standard. Well, life isn’t fair, and he should have known coming in that he had to live up to a standard that would open opportunities for others. I hope he changes my mind, but to date I’m no fan.

3.  BillyS says:

My problem with Michael Sam is that he just seems hypocritical now. I’m not saying he’s a bad person, nor do I give a damn what he does behind closed doors. My problem is that he came out and said he wanted to be Michael Sam “the football player” and not Michael Sam “the gay guy”, but then he tries to get the documentary going (without informing the team until the last minute), and it just seemed like he was segregating himself, but also wanting to be viewed another way. You can’t have it both ways in this case and I think he would have become a bit of a distraction. He did have the spotlight thrust on him and it was a great opportunity to get his story out there (and help others), but I think he could have had the same impact if he had written a book on the matter. It would have been quieter, but still had a chance to share his journey with others. Either way I still think he has a chance to be a special teamer/pass rushing specialist because he did have very good numbers in college and that does mean there is some talent there; but he will never be some amazing player, and I think that’s what will rub some people the wrong way. They don’t view him as “Michael Sam, the gay football player”; they view him as “Michael Sam, the 7th rounder who needs to focus on football or else he won’t even make the roster.”

4.  Eric S says:

Plans for a documentary should have been announced beforehand but I’m willing to give Sam a pass here. He’s in a unique position, he’s young and probably unsure of how best to proceed. He probably has a lot of people in his ear giving him “advice” up to and including the most powerful woman in media in Oprah. To his credit, canceling the show after hearing criticism shows, I think, that he wants to go about this the right way. As Billy S suggested a book is probably the best way to go about it.

• Dan BentonDan Benton says:

Let’s be honest, if a non-homosexual were drafted and then revealed they were filming a documentary about themselves, fans everywhere would be up in arms calling for him to be released because it’s a distraction and they aren’t taking the game seriously.