New York Giants Sign Andre Williams, Nat Berhe to Rookie Deals

May 16th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

The New York Giants are finally on the board! The team announced on Friday that they have signed fourth-round pick Andre Williams (RB, Boston College) and fifth-round pick Nat Berhe (DB, San Diego State) to their rookie deals.

Although financial details were not immediately made available, the NFL's rookie wage scale is pretty well set in stone. Accordingly, Williams' deal is likely around the four-years, $2.67 million with an estimated signing bonus of $453,600, while Berhe's deal is likely around four-years, $2.33 million with an estimated signing bonus of $110,060.

For Williams, this signing is almost like a premonition coming true. He had repeatedly stated during the 2014 NFL Draft and leading up to his selection that he always believed he'd end up with Big Blue.

"It’s not necessarily when I got picked up, it’s where I got picked up. Like I said, from the start I had a feeling it was going to be the Giants and it really ended up turning out that way," Williams said. "I’m really just glad that it turned out that way. Patience is a really valuable thing. It worked out the best possible way it could, no matter what round it ended up being. Whether it was after the fourth round had I came to the Giants, I would have been just as happy. The round doesn’t really bother me at all."

Berhe, meanwhile, is just ready to get on the field and hit someone.

"I try to be the biggest and baddest dude out there every time. It is just the way I play. It was the way I was taught to play," Berhe said. "I just play with a lot of emotion and anger and I try to take people’s heads off, it’s what I do. I think that is how the safety position is supposed to be played."

The Giants have five remaining draft picks left to sign, including first-round pick Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU). All of those deals are expected to get done without any snags.

Tags: Andre Williams, Football, Nat Berhe, New York, New York Giants, NFL

9 Responses to “New York Giants Sign Andre Williams, Nat Berhe to Rookie Deals”

1.  NM-GIANT says:

Hopefully he turns into a stud!

Does anyone have any real familiarity with Berhe? Every time he opens his mouth I like him more. Given what I’ve read about him he could turn into a sneaky-good pick. Seems like he could potentially transition into a hybrid safety-linebacker who hits harder than his size so could potentially play Jacquain Williams’ role if we decide not to sign him and have Paysinger starting at WILL but Berhe pushing him and replacing him on passing downs.

3.  Fran2Eli says:

Fran2Eli says:
    May 16, 2014 at 12:06 PM
    On the issue of a positive test for marijuana, my approach: for the first positive test; a warning or a minor fine along with mandatory counseling covering additionally the role of a professional in society. The second; a fine of a games pay without a suspension, additional counseling, and an obligation to fulfill a public service requirement, the public not knowing his services weren’t just a voluntary act of kindness. The image of an NFL player being enhanced rather than being tarnished. The third offence now warranting a heaver dose of the same with the single game suspension “for a violation of team rules”.
    For heaven sake it’s marijuana, being so public about it has the reverse effect on the intentions of the policy. Grow up NFL. This type of realistic policy provides them cover for not having under aged kids influenced by what their players are doing. The image of NFL players would be less tarnished, and again no public awareness of any test results, thus kids sheltered from any suggested negative influence. If I was the NFL today adopting such an approach I would state very little if anything about it just saying that they had a new policy and any and all drug related issues would be handled internally and as a totally private matter protecting the rights of an individual, no details given.

Krow says:
    May 16, 2014 at 12:36 PM
    It’s all about protecting the brand. I doubt they owners care whether someone smokes or not.

NM-GIANT says:
    May 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM
    Agreed, However once it become legal, I don’t see them turning down advertisement dollars. That industry is gonna be huge!

4.  GIANTT says:

OR , I would like to see the first Denver Bronco player who fails a drug test for marijuana gets suspended and then sues the NFL because it is legal in Colorado ?
    How will the NFL lawyers get around that , I wonder . I know there are attorneys out there ( I cant believe I am saying this , but where is Jim Stoll when we need his insight and experience ? ) and would love to hear their take ?

•  Dan Peterson says:

Doesn’t matter if it’s legal or not – Adderall is legal, too. NFL says you can’t use it and work for them.

5.  GIANTT says:

OR . A player gets suspended for testing positive and swears that it is the result of second hand smoke in a legal lounge and
    “He didnt know that the patrons were smoking marijuana in those hookah pipes and inhaled second hand smoke “

6.  GIANTT says:

OR – the night before a game a bunch of a visiting team go to a legal lounge and get busted after spectacular performances by them when they beat the Broncos 41-8 or something which all the prognosticating mavens swear couldnt happen . Vegas calls for a drug test after they lose millions to a Denver gambler who happened to foot the bill for the players night out .
    Wait , wait , it sounds like the start of a book . I SWEAR that I didnt smoke anything today , I just forgot to take my meds this morning .

The whole NFL policy regarding weed really won’t stand much longer. Whatever you think of its use (harmless indulgence, gateway drug, etc., etc.) it is headed toward being allowed, regulated, and taxed in most states, a trend that will only accelerate as states search high and low for additional revenue to support fiscal policies that are increasingly hard to support with existing tax bases. I think Fran2Eli’s ideas have merit, and there are probably dozens of other approaches that might work, but severe suspensions just aren’t going to cut it.

What percentage of college students indulges? How about the young adults that the NFL is madly reaching out to through the enhancements of the digital experience and the marketing of Fantasy Football? How long will it be before not only do we have a scenario such as GIANTT paints, but two major distributors of the stuff vying for sponsorship rights for the Broncos and willing to pay so much that it will be sorely tempting for the owner to sign up? As far as we know, its use isn’t a performance-enhancer on the field. So why kill players over it’s use? As far as I’m concerned it should be a team affair. If the Giants, for example, don’t want their players using then they can establish team rules, team suspensions, etc. but should be able to use discretion. It should no longer be a league matter.

I think Will Hill is a great example of why current policies make little sense. The kid comes from a troubled background. He was a doper and a dope while in college. But over the past few years he seems, by all accounts, to have started to grow up and take responsibility for his actions, become accountable to his teammates. So he’s improving as a human being and has put himself on a “different” path, one that could lead to a long, lucrative, career and a young man who has gained from counseling and a strong hand by the Giants and the players in their locker room. What does anyone gain by suspending him, cutting him, dumping him back “on the street”? If this were a team matter I think the Giants could compel counseling, assign a “Big Brother” to watch over him, suspend him for a game or two without pay, give him fair notice that any backsliding will lead to a longer suspension, and two more incidents would get him cut. But they could mold the punishment to the offense and make it the best approach for Hill and the team. That decision could be reviewable by the Players’ Union and the Commissioner’s office to make sure that the “punishment fit the crime” and if, in their judgment, it did not, they could make a strong recommendation regarding modification and require an arbitration process upon a next offense with the league and the union proposing penalties and the arbitrator making the ultimate decision. This would induce teams to create fair, but not excessive, punishments. Slaps on the wrists would rile the Commissioner. A heavy hand would rile the union. Keeps everyone honest.

The whole approach to this stuff by the league is just silly. I just hope that while they’re awakening to that fact the current policy doesn’t cost us Hill. I have a very bad feeling about what Coughlin will demand of the team if Hill’s appeal fails.