New York Giants Nearing Deal with Fifth-Round Pick Devon Kennard

May 16th, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The New York Giants were among a small group of teams that had not yet signed a single rookie from their 2014 NFL Draft class entering Friday, and although none are at risk to go unsigned thanks to the relatively new rookie wage scale, Big Blue has been been somewhat slow in getting ink on paper. However, that changed earlier this afternoon when they inked both running back Andre Williams and defensive back Nat Berhe, and now fifth-round pick Devon Kennard (LB, USC) appears to be next.

Because of the aforementioned rookie wage scale, holdouts for draftees have become highly uncommon. Essentially, they have no wiggle room when it comes to negotiations and the only thing that can prevent them from signing is the desire for larger bonuses. Beyond that, everything (at least an approximate value) is set in stone. And for Kennard, he's likely looking at a four-year deal worth somewhere around $2.41 million and a signing bonus of $192,800.

Of course, for first-round pick Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU) those numbers will be significantly larger.

The Giants didn't get all of their 2013 rookies signed until July last year, so it's not necessary to panic if things drags out a bit with some of their picks. The good news, as head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed earlier this week, is that the entire rookie class has already arrived in East Rutherford, taken their physicals, hit the film room and are on the field practicing with the veterans.

Tags: Devon Kennard, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Tom Coughlin

9 Responses to “New York Giants Nearing Deal with Fifth-Round Pick Devon Kennard”

I’m very excited to hear about Robinson and Donnell. I think both can be good players. I think Robinson was a little too heavy last year and should play in the 265-270 range, last year to me he looked 280. Athletically and blocking I expect them to be more than fine. I think he question will be how consistent hands they have. Donnell in limited time did struggle catching the ball last year.

Anyone questioning us adding a RB really doesn’t know our roster. Sorry but Hillis is a JAG and should either be our 4th RB or on the street. Cox has some talent but is not someone we can bet on. Wilson is coming off of a career threatening injury. And Jennings has never been the bell cox. A RB was very much needed and we got a good one in Williams. He takes away the questions about the RB group.

I sure hop Hill can stay here. He changes how I feel about this defense. With Hill this defense has a chance to be elite. Yes, the DL has questions but if the young players come through our DL can still be very good. With Hill this is the best back 7 we have had in decades.

I see Little got cut. He’s the type of WR I would like to add. Physically he has the make up of a WR that should excel on special teams. He is the bid WR we only have in Randle and has some upside. He’s on knows his NFL changes are dwindling. He could have a Hagan type impact.

•  kujo says:

Hagan was excellent at special teams BEFORE he became a Giant.

Does Greg “Can’t Catch Herpes in a People With Herpes Support Group” Little have a track record of being good on specials?

•  Krow says:

I hope you’re right … but given that there’s almost no tape on Donnell … and none at all on Robinson … I have no idea what could possibly get you excited. They’re all we got … and we didn’t draft anyone … so sure, they have the proverbial inside track. But so what? There’s nothing to indicate that either is anything special … or for that matter anything at all.

There’s Coughlin saying that so far they’ve been doing very well in camp, for whatever that’s worth. Following right in the footsteps of the revered Ramses Barden of the eye-opening camp catches.

But hey, Coughlin doesn’t hand out praise easily so perhaps there’s something there. None of us have anything to go on because we’ve hardly seen them play. They’re certainly big enough that they should be decent blockers, and Robinson was a very strong blocker in college, but as for receiving, we’ve seen just about nada.

2.  Begiant says:

In regards to Behre. I believe Marc Ross said he could develop into Deon Grants old role.

Ah, okay. That makes sense. Especially because he is now faster than Grant was when he came to us and is a hitter much like Deon. As that third safety/cover OLB position starts to merge in the NFL guys who play the way I read Behre does make a lot of sense. He has the body-type and mentality. But all that matters is the play on the field.

I also think there’s a possibility Cooper Taylor evolves into that kind of role too.

I think Dan should post an update on the Sash case every day so we can follow it much as most of the country followed the OJ case (I actually didn’t….I cannot remember why but in those days I had plenty of contempt for popular culture and whatever was the latest craze driven by the cable news….I still do, but I’m more relaxed about it now).

I want to see the police video. I hear there were a dozen suburban kids racing their bikes alongside Sash until they got bored because he couldn’t keep up. I also hear he was wearing his official NFL New York Giants helmet. And a Nicks jersey.