The New York Giants were among a small group of teams that had not yet signed a single rookie from their 2014 NFL Draft class entering Friday, and although none are at risk to go unsigned thanks to the relatively new rookie wage scale, Big Blue has been been somewhat slow in getting ink on paper. However, that changed earlier this afternoon when they inked both running back Andre Williams and defensive back Nat Berhe, and now fifth-round pick Devon Kennard (LB, USC) appears to be next.
Because of the aforementioned rookie wage scale, holdouts for draftees have become highly uncommon. Essentially, they have no wiggle room when it comes to negotiations and the only thing that can prevent them from signing is the desire for larger bonuses. Beyond that, everything (at least an approximate value) is set in stone. And for Kennard, he's likely looking at a four-year deal worth somewhere around $2.41 million and a signing bonus of $192,800.
Of course, for first-round pick Odell Beckham Jr. (WR, LSU) those numbers will be significantly larger.
Odell Beckham should sign a fully GTD 4-year, ,406,198 deal with a ,892,036 '14 cap number. His signing bonus should be ,888,144.— Joel Corry (@corryjoel) May 9, 2014
The Giants didn't get all of their 2013 rookies signed until July last year, so it's not necessary to panic if things drags out a bit with some of their picks. The good news, as head coach Tom Coughlin confirmed earlier this week, is that the entire rookie class has already arrived in East Rutherford, taken their physicals, hit the film room and are on the field practicing with the veterans.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select USC LB Devon Kennard
- New York Giants Re-Sign Kicker Josh Brown, Nearing Deal with Cornerback Trumaine McBride
- New York Giants May Receive at Least a 5th Round Compensatory Pick: Projections
- New York Giants Awarded 5th Round Compensatory Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
- Harry Carson to Announce New York Giants 2nd Round Pick in 2014 NFL Draft
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b2g