May 14th, 2014 at 1:00 PM

When asked if his players had any input on draft day decisions, New York Giants General Manager Jerry Reese gave a flat-out "no." Yet at least one of his players — wide receiver Victor Cruz — got almost exactly what he asked for. No, it wasn't Mike Evans, but it was wideout Odell Beckham Jr. — close enough for Cruz to poke fun at the situation.

"Somebody's listening up there. That's all that means," Cruz joked Tuesday night at the United Way Gridiron Gala at the Waldorf Astoria. "Beckham is good. It's good for our team. The more weapons the better. Odell is a good player and a good person as well."

Although he admits he didn't really watch the NFL Draft — something he's not exactly a fan of after going undrafted himself — Cruz did acknowledge having familiarized himself with his new teammate and how well he should fit into Big Blue's new offensive system. Ultimately, he feels, it's another tremendous weapon for quarterback Eli Manning.

"I know he has a lot of speed. I know he runs good routes. I know he’s good at stretching the field," Cruz said. "He’s a good player. He’s very agile, very quick. He’s good to have him on our team, he’s good to have him as another threat in our offense."

Despite Cruz's excitement over the addition of Beckham Jr. and Ben McAdoo's new offense, he did also admit that he took Kevin Gilbride's retirement from the Giants quite hard.

“It was a tough thing for me to hear,” Cruz said. “He was a guy who believed in my ability early on. Coming in as a rookie free agent, you have to have some guys that are in your corner, and he was 100 percent one of those people that really went out on a limb for me day-in and day-out, and really taught me how to play the game properly as a professional.”

While many Giants fans would be thankful for Gilbride's belief in Cruz, few would go as far as to say they took his retirement as hard. Shotgun draw, anyone?

Tags: Football, Jerry Reese, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Victor Cruz

10 Responses to “Giants’ Victor Cruz, Who Lobbied for Another WR, is Happy with Addition of Odell Beckham Jr.”

1.  JBeast3 says:

Repost:

I think thats a pretty favorable ranking position. I honestly was expecting us to be around 22-25. The eagles at 9 is a bit of a stretch in my opinion, i think around 12-14.

As for the draft, I think the Eagles had a great draft (i didn’t like their first rounder but he might be a good player). I am really upset that they picked up Matthews, i think he will be a stud; the new djax ( not playing style, i mean in terms of thorn in our sides). I also liked Huff and Watkins.

The giants and cowboys imo tied for second best draft of the division. The Boys took fan fav Martin in round 1 who will def be a day 1 starter and will upgrade that OL to the point of best OL in the NFL. They have what 3 or 4 first rounder starting on that OL. Their LT and C are studs and will be there the next 6-8 years and Martin will prob be the same. They too DLaw in the second, that is a great pick for their defense. He lands in a great spot for him to succeed. Us Giants fans should worry about the Cowboys because that OL is really good and the DL is above average. IF we can’t hit Romo he can tear us apart. The only thing i didn’t like about Dallas is the trade up that cause a lack of mid round picks. I like the Street pick in the late round.

The Giants i think had a good draft i think ODB Rictburg and Williams will be a problem for the defenses in the division because they all solve a need on the Giants offense. I think Richburg will play a lot this season i might not be at C i think he might replace Snee if he gets injured. My fav defensive pick was Bromley; i know a lot of ppl dont like the pick but after reading about him and watching his videos, I LOVE this pick. He is quick at the snap has some pass rush ability and is a run stuffer, he has great size and quickness, high motor, never gives up on the field and in life. He knows what its like to have nothing and fight for his. I dont think any of the 5th and 6th rounders will make an impact on this team.

Redskin i thought had the worst draft of all 4 teams and it stems from the RG3 trade (lack of 1st round pick). They did grab a few guys i was high on like Grant, Moses and Breeland. I think they did a decent job trying to find guy to protect RG3.

Overall I think the Boys will have draft class that has the best long term impact on their team. Martin will Elevate their OL and DLaw will create some pass rush.

PS dont take this post as me knocking the Giants draft, I’m not. ODB, Richburg, Willams and Bromley IMO will have huge impact on the team.

2.  JBeast3 says:

Cruz is smart to want another WR. he needs to had another playmaker to take the double team off him.

And speaking of Cruz, how do all of those who insist that Eli throws balls high explain the great success of Mr. Cruz? Quarterbacks in the NFL who are under pressure and cannot get their feet set or time to properly follow through before getting hit tend to throw balls high, or low. So, yeah, Eli does throw a few of them from time-to-time, but this myth that he can’t bring the ball down is just that: a myth. Anyone who watched this guy carefully in 2011 when he still had the semblance of an O-line and had three legitimate wide receiver targets would never say with a straight face that Eli “frequently misses high”.

Ergo, this fan clamor for a “big” receiver was misguided and a function of believing something that just isn’t really true. As Cruz states, Beckham runs good routes, has great speed, and stretches the field. He could have added that he is very quick off the LOS, has great vertical ability, a nose for holes in zones, and leadership quality in abundance. We got a very good one.

•  rlhjr says:

I mostly agree. However, in traffic and close to the goal line the one place even the best DB’s have issues defending is vertical. A big atheletic reciever is simply the holy grail. The truth is receivers with size, hands and route running ability are rare. And when you havee the opportunity to get one, teams seldom pass on one. Because they open up the field and enhance the throwing lanes. All things being equal, size matters. Size and skill rules.

I didn’t see this before writing my response to GOAT. So I agree with you BUT would add that tight ends can also clear space in ways other than height. And as far as wide receivers go, height is clearly an asset but I do not think it outweighs quickness, toughness, disciplined route running, explosiveness, ability to gain yards after the catch, good hands, and plain old intelligence.

For my money, give me ODB over Evans. We’ll have to wait and see how their careers play out, but that’s how I feel.

4.  rlhjr says:

We will certainly win the “CHARACTER BOWL” hands down. The bowl game won with talent will have to wait a while.

Also, the arms race (offensive line of Giants vs. the NFL) was lost when Reese and Coughlin displayed way too much loyalty holding on to Deihl, Seiubert, O’Hara and McKinze. Then they committed to rebuilding the offensive line with fourth rounder’s and below. That’s not how it’s done. And I say that mindful of the experience of the people who run this team. Clearly they screwed the pooch in deference to the team’s offensive line. And you can add linebacking to that list.

Here’s hoping those days are well behind the franchise.
    I am hoping Beckham, Rictburg and Bromley get things done. Because after them there is not much to talk about draft wise.

Finally, for those who feel good players are bad fits. If you have an offensive or defensive system that is dismissive of talented players, then it’s your system that is FCKD UP…….NOT THE PLAYERS.

And if you ever want consistent success you damn well better tweak your system so that good to great players actually fit.

Gonna have to disagree with you on the draft. We got a VERY good running back who I think will make serious contributions to this team. He’s perhaps the best power running back we’ve had since OJ Anderson. Yeah, I said it, better than BJ because he doesn’t need as much time to arrive at the hole so will much less frequently be stopped for negative yardage.

On the other hand I completely agree about the “systems”. If you have top players you make the system fit them, not the other way around. That has been a blind spot for the Giants during the Coughlin reign.

•  rlhjr says:

I’ll give you that. I forgot about the kid. I actually think he’ll be pretty nasty.

F55 – I agree fully about your big WR comment. Now I admit I wanted a big WR for diversity amongst our WRs but not because Eli needs one. In a perfect world having some of everything amongst your WRs is ideal. I think Plax is still stuck in everyone’s head. But Eli had his best season with a 6’1″ WR as his biggest WR.

The only place I do agree a large target halps Eli is TE. When Eli throws it high it’s usually to the TE. Which is one of the many reasons Myers was a flop. Myers wasn’t tall or athletic so his catching radious was much less than any of our previous TEs.

Yeah, I tend to agree, less because they need to be exceptionally tall and more because they have to be able to clear enough space either vertically or horizontally to make tough catches in heavy traffic. Frankly, Robinson and Donnell both very much fit the part. Now we have to see if they can actually play when given the chance.