With the 2014 NFL Draft now a couple of days removed, the talk amongst Giants fans is where the team still needs to make additions with the most obvious one being at tight end.
Since the beginning of the offseason, there has been one very popular name that has been linked to the New York Giants from the very beginning, talk that all started when he was being recruited to play for the team by Antrel Rolle during Super Bowl XLVIII; Jermichael Finley of the Green Bay Packers.
Finley actually would have been off the market in the first week of free agency, but because he failed a physical, it likely cost him a deal with the defending champion Seattle Seahawks. Since then, Finley has drawn minimal interest from teams around the league as he awaits medical clearence since undergoing spinal fusion surgery this past winter after suffering a season-ending injury back in October.
With the Giants neglecting to take a tight end in this past week's NFL Draft, the speculation of Finley to the Giants only continues to grow and on Monday, the former Packers tight end was asked about the possibility of playing for the Giants if and when he gets medical clearance in which he gave his full support to his former tight ends coach and now Giants offensive coordinator in Ben McAdoo and said he'd play there if McAdoo wanted him.
“If Ben (McAdoo) came calling, I guess I’d go running,” Finley said. "He’s a great coach and I would love to rekindle that relationship and get it back on. He’s like a father figure to me since I came into the league.”
Back in February, Rolle told everyone that Finley had mentioned to him that he would love to play for the Giants if things didn't work out with the Packers because of the chance to play alongside Eli Manning, plus working with McAdoo again. With Green Bay choosing not to re-sign Finley and instead bringing back his replacement in Andrew Quarless, the idea of Finley playing for the Giants continues to make sense.
The tight end spot has been a bit of a revolving door over the last couple of years with Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard, Martellus Bennett and the latest, Brandon Myers, so if Finley were to get an actual shot and succeed under McAdoo and the Giants, he's still young enough in his NFL career to where he could stick around for the team for a few years, that is if he gets medical clearance and the Giants have interest first.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Jermichael Finley “Would Love” to Be a Part of the New York Giants
- Antrel Rolle Trying to “Sell” New York Giants to Jermichael Finley
- Jermichael Finley Could Still Be an Option for New York Giants Once Medically Cleared
- Green Bay Packers TE Jermichael Finley Has “Drawn Interest” from New York Giants, Others
- Jermichael Finley Failed Physical with Seahawks; Will It Alter New York Giants’ Interest?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ayg