May 12th, 2014 at 3:03 PM
By Doug Rush

The New York Giants made sure this offseason that a repeat situation of a year ago regarding their running back situation would not happen again because of injuries.

So while David Wilson recovered from neck injury to correct the spinal stenosis injury he suffered this past October, the team locked up Oakland Raiders running back Rashad Jennings to a four-year deal, re-signed Peyton Hillis to a two-year deal and then on Saturday, drafted Andre Williams out of Boston College in the fourth round in the 2014 NFL Draft. Plus, the team still has second-year back Michael Cox on the roster as well to go along with Wilson too.

That hopefully will help with the running back situation, especially if Wilson can be fully healthy and recovered from the neck injury he suffered some seven months ago and on Monday, Giants general manager Jerry Reese spoke with Bob Papa on his Sirius XM Radio show and told the Giants radio play-by-play voice that while he fully expects Wilson to be cleared and ready to go for training camp this summer, he simply could not pass up on drafting Williams when he was still there in the fourth round.

Some have said that if Wilson even plays at all in 2014, it would be considered an added bonus to the Giants roster, but every time Reese and head coach Tom Coughlin mention Wilson, they are in the mind set that their former first round pick from the 2012 NFL Draft will be in pads and ready to play. Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News mentioned how that Wilson is not only on the field for the Giants, but he's also taking reps too, which is another sign in the right direction.

For the Boston College Eagles in 2013, Williams had an impressive 355 carries for 2,177 yards and 18 touchdowns and thus, why Reese simply couldn't pass up that kind of opportunity to add such a player when Williams was available. So whether Wilson is able to return to the Giants or not, the Giants general manager has made sure to give Jennings and Hillis a very suitable backup and at times, a change-of-pace replacement that can help the team going forward and if needed, give Wilson extra rest for his neck so they can avoid another serious injury for a second straight year.

Tags: Andre Williams, David Wilson, Football, Jerry Reese, New York, New York Giants, NFL

18 Responses to “Jerry Reese Expecting David Wilson to Be Cleared for Training Camp; Couldn’t Pass on Andre Williams”

1.  rlhjr says:

It was a good move. The very fact that Wilson has the injury required a draft pick be devoted to that position. He went out and got another Jacobs.

Only 3 inches shorter and 30 lbs. lighter. If he has a quarter of Jacobs heart, he’ll do just fine.

Well, I still see him as more a Frank Gore-type than a lighter Brandon Jacobs. And if you compare him physically to Gore, he’s about the same height but heavier and a little thicker in the thighs.

This kid is not likely to be “just insurance”. He should wind up a short-yardage back this season and competing for the #1 position on the depth chart in 2015. I think he was a huge steal.

•  BillyS says:

I can see the Frank Gore comparison; I kind of see a bit of Willis McGahee in him, myself. Either way I have been watching more stuff on Williams (I didn’t devote much time to RBs because of Jennings and Wilson), and Williams definitely does stand out. There were 2 main complaints by many which are NOT big whatsoever in my eyes:

1.) He had big holes to run through. I don’t see how that’s much of a complaint. His line opened up holes and he ran through them. it’s not like he could drive a truck through every single hole on every play. They would open a lane, he’d put his head down, and shoot through it. Just because he had a hole doesn’t mean it was easy. He was a bell cow. Everybody and their mother knew Williams was going to be getting the ball so they’d stack up against the run and he’d STILL get good yardage. Just because he wasn’t like Barry Sanders dodging and spinning around everyone doesn’t mean he’s a bad RB.

2.) He didn’t catch the ball at all. Now normally I like a RB who has pretty good hands, but that’s not the case here. They didn’t throw it because they didn’t HAVE to throw it. They ran it and ran it and ran it some more. Why? Because it was effective. I’ve seen several reports where Williams actually showed “excellent” hands at the combine receiving drills. So it’s not like his hands are made of stone — he just wasn’t utilized in that area because it wasn’t needed. No biggie.

I’ve seen lots of positives on Williams that include everything from rushing to blitz pick up. He’s apparently very good at pass protection. Coughlin LOVES that. Lovessss it. I think it was a terrific pick. It’s true that Williams doesn’t look like he has the moves to make a defender miss too many times, but that doesn’t matter. I’ll take a solidly built guy, with solid speed, who is willing to put his shoulder down and grind out the tough yards. How many times have we been 3rd and 2 and 2 yards may as well have been 20? This is the kind of power back we’ve been needing and hoping for ever since Jacobs first came to us.

The areas I’m still concerned about:

WR: I think we have 5 good WRs that if any had to be in our top 3 we would be fine but we have nothing after that. I don’t want to keep 5 WRs again but right now it doesn’t appear enough talent to support keepign more than 5. Plus we didn’t even sign an undrafted free agent WR. This in the end is a mild concern. I’m just looking to add a WR like the kid from Arizona we looked at a little while ago.

TE: I really think we will get enough out of Robinson/Donnell to keep the offense running smoothly. But the problem is robinson and donnell have already had some durability issues. The vets we have are like Pascoe and should never start. We do have the USC kid who could surprise and he comes from a pro system. But playing arm chair GM the player I wonder if we could acquire for a late round draft pick or a depth position like CB is Fauria from Detriot. They just gave Pettiguw a lot of money and draft a first round TE. He’s not a great player but Ballard like and a better option than the vets we have if Robinson and/or Donnell can’t get it done. I’m not really a fan of addig Finley or Keller but those are options as well.

OL: Has some concerns starting wise but there’s sufficient depth for this unit to revert back to 2012 form. Beatty and Snee seem to be the most pressing concerns but we have options behind them. Long term wise I think Pugh would be our LT ifd something happens to Beatty. Brown, Jerry and maybe even Mosley or Brewer would be in the mix for RT. Jerry, Mosley and maybe even Brewer or the rookie would be in the mix to replace Snee. Walton and the rookie are going to batlle for starting center while or other positions there’s no concern about.

DL: Depth is now there. Between the draft and UFDAs we have really fixed the depth issue on the DL. The only question is do he have another quality pass rusher outside of Jpp, Moore and Jenkins. Ayers and Kiwi are decent but no fron line guys. It would be nice if we had another pass rusher. Maybe that will be Kinnard.

LB: With Kinnard I think we have 6 at least pretty good LBs. Also hav balanced out our youth with a vetern pressence. The question is how many LBs. By drafting Kinnar and having 5 established guys it seems that we will keep at least 6 LBs this year. Plus we have guys like Bradford could be pretty good as well.

The point is that after the draft even our biggest question marks aren’t too bad. With reasonable healthy and play our offense can really rise signifcantly.

3.  ERICHONIUS says:

@Everyone who says we suck at the draft/ Jerry Reese is poor GM

The following article grades teams for their draft success over the past 5 years:
    The Giants rank 11th. Considering the statistics on how injury plagued the giants have been, 11th best is pretty impressive.

“Each draft pick has been assigned a numerical grade based on the player’s performance, number of games played, positional value and the pick with which they were selected. The average grade was 0.55.

Performance was based on Pro Football Focus grades. Positional value was based on the average salary of each position. And the value of the draft pick was based on Jimmy Johnson’s famed draft pick value chart. Performance and games played accounts for about two-thirds of the grade, while pick and positional value accounts for the remaining third.”

•  G-MenFan says:

Thanks for this link.

Someone should forward it to that tool Dan Graziano at ESPN.

•  BillyS says:

I can’t stand him anymore. He literally offers zero insight. He only looks for negatives and is never willing to give credit where it’s due. He sounds so stuck up now that he’s at ESPN.

•  G-MenFan says:

100% correct. He’s trying to get high-volume “click-through s” by being annoying. I’m boycotting. I won’t click on the links or articles anymore. He’s a jacka@$.

4.  Michael Cervellino says:

I thought the Giants did very well with their first four picks. As for Bromley, hs’s a player trust me. Very athletic, strong, and hard working. Has risen from the most catrastrophic circumstances to become a team captain and college graduate. As I said previously, I have a friend who has been with a sports agency firm that is now representing football players and he said Bromley had risen to a 4th round value by draft time, with some teams having him as high as the 3rd. In fact, he never would have lasted to the Giants 4th round pick. Where I disagreed was not with the selection of Behre, but when he was taken. I would have gone with Wesley Johnson of Vanderbilt, a 6’5 301 athletic OL with experience at T/G/C. He got dinged for his strength, but he had 26 reps on bench at combine I believe. He was terrific value in the 5th. I believe Behre and Jackson filled the same need, a depth safety with special teams savvy. Yes, i do believe Jackson is a potential safety conversion due to his physical nature in run support and some tightness in his turn and swivel in coverage. Beckham, Richburg, and Andre Williams were home runs, especially Williams who is the kind of downhill runner who has thrived here before. With his high cut, linear style he reminds me of Ottis Anderson. Kennard has potential. The signing of Kelcey Quarles as a UFA was brilliant, and Malumanuae, Fox, Grimble and Kerry Wynn are sleepers. I really wish we had done more for the OL as far as UFA’s with Tiny Richardson, James Hurst, Cornelius Lucas, Kadeem Williams, Matt Feiler, Matt Patchan, Tyler Larsen, Jonothan Stone, and I believe Ryan Groy still available but we had already signed so many street free agents in search of lightning in a bottle that we only had so many slots available before we hit the 90 player limit. Still think this team has more work to do at OL and TE but you will see a much better product on the field this year.

•  BillyS says:

Ryan Groy is one that I mentioned as soon as the draft was over. He’s got a very good blend of size and athleticism (well…for an OL). Obviously raw, but I’m a little surprised he didn’t go in the later rounds. Same with Tiny Richardson. I actually thought he could have gone 3rd or 4th round. I know there were some saying that teams may have been scared off by a potential neck injury, but in the 6th or 7th round I don’t see why a team wouldn’t roll the dice.

5.  stuh says:

Frank Gore comparison if this kid id half as good as Gore we have a winner. Gore is a great back.

6.  William says:

The debate earlier today on drafting Ebron did not touch on any of the realities of the draft and the “cap”. The real value in players today found in the draft especially those starter talents you can find in round 1 is the long term savings they bring. No more dramatic example can be given than the 2 dominating teams in the NFC, Hawks n 49ers. Both have the highest cost player on the team (QB) on a rookie deal based on their selection in the draft. With a QB the savings can exceed 15 million…thats 15 million extra to spend on other positions versus what the Giants have to spend based on the typical deal that a proven vet QB like Eli makes. Did the Hawks have injuries last year, of course, but with all that extra cap money they are so deep at every position the next guy up is a real talent. Thats what 14 million gets you.
    Other positions can delivers savings (not as high as QB but still substantial); left tackle, cornerbacks, #1 WR. That makes them the go to picks in the first round, especially top ten when you need to assure yourself a starter.
    I’m sorry a guy like Ebron needs to become the next stud pass catching TE to justify a pick in the top ten. A career along the lines of Jermichael Finley and he is a bust based on the wasted cap dollars savings. TE is a ibly the cheapest position to find in free agency. Its not surprising a poor franchise like the Lions made such a crazy reach. Only the actions of the Bills, who once again proved why they are constantly underperforming, was dumber. Multiple #1 picks save huge sums of money to be used to aquire the expensive assets on the field, to give them away for an unproven talent like Watkins is nuts. The effect of that trade will hamstring their “cap” for years even if Watkins becomes the next Megatron.

•  Nosh.0 says:

That’s been my point all along. TE is just not an impact position. And it shows in player salaries. Unless Ebron is as good as Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, and/or Gronk, a pick that high ends up being a waste of a valuable resource.

It’s also a position that just isn’t much of a “difference maker “(that’s the new popular word right?) in terms of making an offense successful or not.

Furthermore, TE is a position we see time and time again successfully filled with raw, developmental athletes. Gates, Graham, Julius Thomas, Jordan Cameron, all guys with little football experience, but great athletes. (On a side note this is why I always laugh at those sports crazed parents who think over working their kid will get them to the pros. Genetics is a far bigger factor in whether or not a kid becomes a pro athlete.)

It’s for those reasons why I can’t fathom taking a Tight End in the first round. And certainly not at the top half of it.

•  BigOlBlue says:

Nosh.0
        While I respect your opinion. I have to 100% disagree with you for multiple reasons. First, Grabbing a TE can change the way that your team can play. Do you think there was not a significant change both in the pass game as well as the run game with the switch of bennett to Mosley? Or how about the fact that the Patriots had two TEs who helped them make the Super Bowl and have one of the most potent passing attacks in the NFL. (Giants won of course , but thats cause we rock) Second, do you really think that Gronk for the Pats, Heap, back in the day for the ravens, Boss for us, Jason Witten for Dallas, etc… are the most athletically gifted? While I do not advocate parents pushing their kids to hard or even a little if it is not something the child wants, I will firmly say that while genetics does have a factor it is not the most important one. (I do mean this relatively of course. I know that all of them a big and pretty fast. Im just saying that they do not have to be Vernon Davis to be drafted high or succeed.) Third, more often then not there are just as many busts if not more at other positions than TE and its is just as risky to take a wideout high. Would you take what Davis could have done for the 49ers (when he was drafted) or what you think that sammy Watkins can do. One drafted at 4 one drafted at 5 and both thought to be very good.

My point is not to just say TEs are amazing but to disrespect the position as you just did (not terribly but I’m a little sensitive as a former TE), is something I didn’t want to just let be said without standing up for my position.

•  Nosh.0 says:

Well put. Although we agree to disagree.

I will say this, baseball and Hockey I think work ethic and playing for a long time helps a kid if he wants to go pro. Particularly when it comes to hitting a baseball.

But NBA and NFL, I think genetics trumps everything else by a long shot. Clowney, Ansah, JPP, were not drafted because they are/were masters of their craft.

That’s not to say a kid shouldn’t chase his dreams and work hard, but whether or not he can play in the NFL or NBA is 99% determined at birth.

•  BigOlBlue says:

Agree with why those were drafted, but so was Gholston (Jets), Jason Smith (Rams), Rogers and Williams(Lions), even J Russell were all physical specimens. None of them were TEs but were busts.

What teams do with athletic ability is draft potential. So JPP has a higher ceiling but he has also learned behind and with some of the best in the game. The game is made of people who are more and less athletic then their peers in all sports. Being big/fast is a benefit in the NFL, but so is have terrific eye hand coordination, or throwing a ball 90+ MPH. Either way I think that you are putting too much on genetics.

In terms of drafting a TEs though. The can give your offense an entirely new dynamic affecting both the passing game and run game mat the same time more directly than any other position.

•  GIANTT says:

Ive got to go with Nosh on this BoB . While I totally agree that a good TE is a positive asset to a team (and Im sure you were an asset ) and the Giants have had some good ones (Tucker , Bavaro Cross Shockey Boss , Ballard all did their jobs really well) Feel free to add to this list . Was it a question of How many times did the Giants change their offense to use the TE talents OR was it how many times did the Giants take these guys and fit them into their offensive scheme ? One of the basics for ANY Giants TE is that he has to be able to block no matter his pass catching talents . I cant see taking a high draft pick for someone whose main usable talent FOR THIS TEAM is the ability to block . The main TE for the Giants this year is just as likely to be a free agent not on the team yet as the Giants sift through their talent on hand and UDFAs and free agents available .Im not saying you are wrong BigOlBlue but as far as the Giants go , this is the way they roll and it doesnt make sense to draft a TE even a potential AllPro