Despite that stance, the league passed a resolution last year that could force teams to appear on the show — even against their will — based on certain criteria. And for the better part of this offseason, speculation was that the Giants could have been the team in line for the first forced assignment.
Ultimately, they escaped that fate and will not be appearing on the show in 2014. However, Giants head coach Tom Coughlin laughed at the idea on Saturday, saying not only would he refuse to give the show the kind of access they demand, but that HBO would likely "fire" the franchise within a minute.
“You wouldn’t get what you normally associate with that show,” Coughlin told the New York Post. “I’d go the other way and they’d fire us in a minute. Canceled. Nobody would watch it.”
In reality, there was never a chance the Giants were going to appear on Hard Knocks. Resolution or no resolution, John Mara and Tom Coughlin would have made it a near impossibility for the crew to do their jobs — they would have never been granted the sort of access they covet, no practices would have been filmed and all of those private interviews with the coach? Yeah … good luck with that.
“Do you think it has anything to do with whether I say yes or no?” Coughlin said. “First of all, realize that I would have absolutely no say in this, but if it came down to me? Absolutely not.”
Although the Giants are never going to appear on Hard Knocks, they did offer a consolidation prize to the NFL; they allowed a live NFL Network camera into their war room for the first time in franchise history during the 2014 NFL Draft. And while it had no sound and revealed absolutely nothing it at all, it was a peace offering from a team that is otherwise exceptionally private in their day-to-day business.
But if you remain hopeful that the Giants will eventually appear on Hard Knocks, we'd advise you to stop holding your breath. As we here at Giants 101 have stated all along, it's absolutely never going to happen. It's just not.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants One of Eight Teams That Could Still Be Forced to Participate in HBO’s “Hark Knocks”
- Conflicting Reports on New York Giants Being Finalist for HBO’s Hard Knocks
- New York Giants Will not Appear on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” in 2014
- New York Giants RB David Wilson Lights Hand on Fire, Posts Video on Instagram
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1awe