New York Giants sixth-round pick Bennett Jackson may have an uphill battle to make significant contributions in a packed secondary, but he's going to become an immediate favorite of the Big Blue faithful for his football loyalties.
Shortly after being selected by the Giants on Saturday, the Notre Dame cornerback hopped on a conference call with members of the New York media and made a reveal that will win over the hearts of the fans: he has been bleeding blue for a while and is absolutely no fans of their cross-town rivals.
"I was always a Giants fan, I never had a specifically favorite team, but I always liked the Giants," Jackson said on a conference call this afternoon. "I hated the Jets, so, I guess it worked out in my favor."
We can all empathize with the latter half of Jackson's statement, and that alone will sell him some jersey's.
Alas, Jackson is going to have to bring more than loyalty and a disdain for the New York Jets to the table if he wishes to catch on with the Giants. Luckily for him, he's another solid character guy that offers Big Blue a lot of versatility as a converted wide receiver who can also be an asset on Special Teams.
"I just always liked to hit," Jackson said. "When I switched over from receiver to cornerback, being able to hit and tackle, I just got caught up with it and enjoyed doing it a lot more."
Although he has a love for hitting, Jackson also admitted he's a development talent who has a ways to go before he's a solid all-around corner.
He hopes to iron all of that out with the Giants.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Notre Dame CB Bennett Jackson
- Should New York Giants Kick the Tires on WR DeSean Jackson?
- New York Giants were Never Seriously Interested in WR DeSean Jackson
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1awr