New York Giants Add Nine Undrafted Rookie Free Agents

May 10th, 2014 at 8:54 PM
By Doug Rush

The conclusion of the 2014 NFL Draft came to an end on Saturday and while the New York Giants may have been done making selections in the sixth round, they were able to sign players at the end of the draft who did not get a phone call from one of the 32 NFL teams.

Those players are:

With those nine now on the roster (pending), plus the seven draft picks from the weekend, the Giants are currently over full capacity for the initial 90-man roster, so if the team want to sign any other undrafted free agents or regular free agents for that matter, someone will have to be released in order to make room for that player in addition to the three that already have to be cut.

Last year, Charles James was one of the few undrafted free agents picked up by the Giants to not only make the team as a practice squad player, but made the actual roster in 2013.

Note: None of these signings are official until the team announces them.

Tags: C.J. Barnett, Dan Fox, Eathyn Manumaleuna, Emmanuel Dieke, Football, Justin Anderson, Kelcy Quarles, Kerry Wynn, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Thomas Gordon, Xavier Grimble

13 Responses to “New York Giants Add Nine Undrafted Rookie Free Agents”

1.  G-MenFan says:

Kelcy Quarles is a HUGE pickup as an UFA! That is just sick.

He will make the team and be a HUGE upgrade.

Very exciting signing by Reese.

2.  BillyS says:

Add James Gayle to the list (via Rotoworld):

Giants signed Virginia Tech DE James Gayle.
    Gayle (6-foot-3 3/4, 259) is the nephew of ex-Bears Super Bowl DB Shaun Gayle. A 39-game starter for the Hokies, Gayle compiled 40.5 career tackles for loss and 22 sacks. He ran 4.7-flat at the Combine with a 10-foot-2 broad jump and 37-inch vertical, displaying top-notch athleticism. A liablity versus the run, Gayle is a speed rusher with a relentless motor who would work best in a rotation in the pros.

3.  William Holland says:

I’m really happy we signed Xavier Grimble, I think he has a lot of tools that will fit in well with how the Giants use the TE. He has good hands and is a decent good blocker.

I also love the Kelcy Quarles pick up! If he can add a little bulk he could become a solid rotation guy that has the speed to rush the passer. Very similar to Aaron Donald.

I am surprised that we didn’t target any OT/OG as UDFA’s this is getting strange.

•  Sintexo says:

I was also surprised at the lack of OL. They must really have confidence in some of the younger guys we have. It just worries me because they were also confident with what we had going into last year… you think they couldn’t make that mistake two years in a row though, right?

•  TroyThorne says:

There’s a huge difference between what we went in with last year (a bunch of old vets who were banged up/past their prime/both) and what’s going on this year with us bringing in a bunch of new faces (Schwartz, Pugh with a solid year under his belt, Richburg, Jerry, Walton, etc).

Big difference.

4.  William Holland says:

My biggest concern now is depth behind Beatty and Beason. I think guard is covered between Snee, Walton, and Mosley but am fearful of LT. I did not want to spend a high pick on a LT with so much money tied up in Beatty but wanted at least a late round pick or UDFA as insurance.

•  G-MenFan says:

WH, I share your anxiety about LT depth. But I guess the FO and Head Coach have a lot of confidence in John Jerry and Justin Pugh’s versatility.

All in all, I’m happy with the way the roster has shaped up and I know that in this league with the salary cap, you can’t have everything.

•  BigOlBlue says:

Remember that theres about three people at other positions that can fill in at LT if need be. So when you think of LT depth its more than just whose labeled LT on our depth chart. In fact, almost our entire line has names in the 2, 3 deep positions on the depth chart that probably won’t be listed there.

5.  BillyS says:

DAMMIT. Marcel Jensen signed with the Jaguars. They also got Craig Loston (hard hitting safety). Chargers took Alden Darby. UGH. Some good talent left.

- Ryan Groy … keep your eye on him.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

I’m O.K. with no LT drafted. I mean I wanted Lewan, but after the top 3 went they were all developmental guys, at least in terms of playing the blind side. If you look at Zack Martin as a guard or RT then passing on him at #12 isn’t really a big deal. Just we’ll have to live and die with Will Beatty. At least in 2014.

I am happy though that we didn’t draft the most overrated position, Tight End. All we need this year is someone that can put up Jake Ballard numbers. Adrian Robinson should be the most focused guy in the world. If he has any chance of having an NFL career, it’s this year or likely never.

•  TroyThorne says:

Agreed re: drafting TEs. It’s not that I think the position is overrated necessarily but more that none of the guys coming out this year really blew me away. I liked Ebron but not 12th overall. Everyone after that didn’t really intrigue me. Super weak year for TEs and I feel some average guys got pushed up the board because of that.

Although I’m a bit worried about the position I’m glad we didn’t panic pick a TE just to say we did.

•  Krow says:

Right now TE is our biggest question mark. There’s a lot of hope in Robinson, but no tape to back it up. It doesn’t make sense that we didn’t at least put a late round/UDFA band aid on this wound. Unless … unless we’ve got a ‘wink and a nod’ agreement with Jermichael Finley. You heard it here first.

•  BigOlBlue says:

I second the Finley connection. Especially with the packers drafting a TE. Giants have seemed confident whether you look at FA or the draft. It seems they either really think A-Rob or Donnell will make a jump or that they know they can land Finley.