2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Notre Dame CB Bennett Jackson

May 10th, 2014 at 4:09 PM

With their seventh pick (No. 187 overall) in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select Notre Dame cornerback Bennett Jackson.

Once again, the Giants land themselves a player with a high football IQ who was also a team captain in his final season with the Fighting Irish. And, once again, they land a versatile player who has significant experience on Special Teams. In fact, he was named the Notre Dame Special Teams Player of the Year in 2013.

Jackson, a New Jersey native, originally joined the Fighting Irish as a wide receiver, but eventually converted over to cornerback where he rooted himself and excelled.

“He’s a corner with some length,” NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said of Jackson. “He’s got to get stronger. He’s got some pretty good movement skills. He’s not an elite speed guy so he’ll have to use his length on the outside to compete. I think he’s probably going to be a mid-to-late pick.”

Jackson now joins a very crowded Giants secondary that has seen the additions of Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Walter Thurmond III and Zack Bowman to go along with Prince Amukamara, Trumaine McBride, Jayron Hosley, Charles James and a handful of others.

Tags: Bennett Jackson, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Prince Amukamara, Trumaine McBride, Walter Thurmond, Zack Bowman

40 Responses to “2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Notre Dame CB Bennett Jackson”

1.  aikitim says:

Not the CB I would have picked, but once again Reese and his scouts did way more research than I.

Might have preferred one of the corners from Florida, or EJ Gaines from Mizzou at this point.

•  aikitim says:

Would go away from the upstanding character and leadership trend we’ve seen through this draft however.

Jackson is another team captain.

2.  Begiant says:

Bennett and Wideout TJ Jones were named captains of the 2013 Notre Dame football team.

3.  BillyS says:

They’re clearly only picking high character guys. I’m loving this. Fill that locker room with high character guys!

Repost:

I like all the positions we have picked. Some of the players are not the names you may expect but I’m trusting our scouting department. It’s clear character is a heavy heavy theme. I thought we would draft a Schofikd type LB and this was our pick. He has a chance to play because McLain hasn’t been the most durable and he has Nicole package de pass rush skills. This also probably means no SAM. I think the safety shows that Hill is on barrowed time. He’s the opposite pick to that of Taylor last year becaus he’s a much more of you know what you’re string with him.

On balance I’m pretty happy with the draft. Although I expected more picks towards the OL I’m certain they have a plan there. Right now we need one of our TEs to step up. That would make a significant difference in our attack.

6.  BillyS says:

I wonder if maybe we trade a future pick for a 7th rounder here. I honestly think JR would love Michael Sam or another TE.

•  aikitim says:

Doubt it. There will be some good players available when the draft is over. I believe we will be active in recruiting young talent as UDFAs, but doubt we would mortgage future picks for a 7th rounder.

•  BillyS says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if we gave up a future 6th for a 7th this year. Or gave a future 7th to get into the 7th this year.

7.  6string says:

McShay says Jackson has skillset for free safety.

Mayock says he thinks Jones may project as a free safety. So it appears Hill is really gone it’s just a matter of when. At least one of these DBs will make the team. We have 5 CBs that look like locks. Then we have a lot of unknowns at safety. You have to assume Rolle & Brown are the starters. I think Taylor can be out 3rd safety but he has to prove it. Demps is solid but not a roster lock but maybe or 3rd safety then we have the 2 draft picks. Demps with the addition of ODB & holiday is on notice. With the addition of Williams. I could see Wilson being our KR guy & ODB bein our PR. Holiday has to prove really good and reliable ball security wise to make his roster. I’m also rooting for James but he has an up hill battle. We have a ton of NFL CBs and still good safety depth minus hill. With the addition of DRC & Thurman plus he loss of hill I see more nickel looks less 3 safety looks.

9.  JBeast3 says:

This is the pick i like most today other than the Williams pick. This guy is a high IQ players tall and Maycock thinks he is better suited as a safety. I dont know the kid but i like this pick i like his size and is a smart player

Isn’t this the kid who was a wide receiver at ND initially? If so, he’s only been playing corner for a few years so probably has a lot of potential upside. I think I heard Harbaugh mention him at a golf tournament I attended a few months ago in California. Said he liked him and thought if the Niners didn’t get a safety early they’d want to take a look at Jackson as a special-teamer who could compete as a safety by his second year in the league once he had been coached up. But this is true only if he’s the kid who started as a receiver. That’s who Harbaugh was referencing.