"I really had a feeling all along [that I'd land with the Giants]," Williams said. "I really did."
The 230-pound Williams led the Nation in rushing in 2013 and gives the Giants a big, powerful back that dominates between the tackles and is capable of moving the sticks. He was a Heisman finalist who would have had a much higher draft stock, but he doesn't offer much of a pass-catching weapon out of the backfield, hauling in only 10 receptions for 60 yards in his college career. He had no receptions in his senior season.
Here is a quick look at Williams from an earlier Anthony Raia scouting report:
Andre Williams, SR, Boston College
- Excellent size; average speed for the position at the next level.
- Frame and lower body strength allows him to excel running inside the tackles.
- Runs with low pad level; runs with a forward lean which allows him to pick up extra yards falling forward.
- Doesn’t have the wiggle in the open field to make a man miss but makes up for it with his strength.
- Arm tackles won’t bring him down; runs violently with purpose.
- Lacks flexibility to stop on a dime and change direction.
- Not a factor in passing game; poor in pass protection and has a lot to learn.
- Given his size and strength he has the potential to be solid in pass protection with the right coaching.
- Deceptive long speed, but not the athlete to be a homerun hitter often at the next level.
Although Williams is an essential non-factor in the passing game, he does add a unique element to the Giants' backfield. In addition to an every-down back in Rashad Jennings and a game-changing burner in David Wilson, Williams adds a third-prong to the ground attack given his power and ability to make gains in short-yardage situations.
Like the Giants' first three picks, Williams is also an intelligent, high-character guy that can contribute right away.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Colorado State C Weston Richburg
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select Syracuse DT Jay Bromley
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1avh