While the New York Giants take their early afternoon lumps for the selection of LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the first-round of the 2014 NFL Draft as opposed to an offensive lineman or a defensive lineman, reports are beginning to surface about multiple teams who looked to trade up into the Top 10 for him.
Shortly prior to the start of the draft, it was reported that the New York Jets had strongly considered trading up in front of the Giants to snag Beckham, but they ended up staying put and drafting Louisville safety Calvin Pryor at No. 18.
But Gang Green wasn't alone in their desire to leap ahead of Big Blue for the chance to snag the game-changing Beckham Jr., as San Francisco 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke admitted they, too, seriously explored the possibility.
Ultimately however, the price to climb from No. 30 into the Top 10 was too much, and although they really had their sights set on the wideout from LSU, they also decided to stay where they were, eventually selecting Northern Illinois safety Jimmie Ward.
“We certainly liked [Beckham Jr.] as a football player, no doubt about it,” Baalke said. "The price of doing business when you’re trying to move from 30 up to the top 10 or close to the top 10 becomes pretty stiff. And you’re giving up a lot of football players to go get one football player. And if you look at history, a lot of times that works against you.”
In addition to the Jets and 49ers, there have also been unconfirmed reports that the Philadelphia Eagles had toyed with the idea of trading up for Beckham Jr., hoping to fill the void left by the departure of DeSean Jackson.
All in all, it now appears as if the Giants landed one of the hottest commodities in the first-round of the draft.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Jets Looking to Move Ahead of New York Giants for LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr?
- Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: No Way We Could Pass up the Near Pro-Ready Odell Beckham Jr.
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aua