May 9th, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft, LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. saw his stock skyrocket. In fact, in the hours leading up to the start of the draft, there were multiple reports that teams like the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers were strongly considering a trade up to select him inside the Top 10. Ultimately, he was available to the New York Giants at No. 12 and they wasted no time in scooping him up.

"It’s an overwhelming experience. I’m so happy to be a Giant. … It's the perfect situation." Beckham Jr. said. "[I thought] it would be great to be a Giant. I had no idea that I was going to get taken by them. Honestly I hadn’t heard much from them so it was all kind of just a blur to me."

In addition to his explosive talent and game-changing speed, Beckham Jr. also brings with him a previous — albeit limited — experience with quarterback Eli Manning. The two, along with Peyton Manning, attended the same High School in New Orleans, and despite being 12 years apart, Beckham Jr. admits he has run some routes with Eli in the past.

"I remember walking through the school and seeing his jersey, along with Peyton and the Mannings as well. Every single day it was just kind of motivation to me," Beckham Jr. said. "I threw with them a couple times, so I know exactly what he has in store and what he has to offer. I’m really looking forward to getting back together with him."

Add in Beckham's humble nature, and it's not hard to see why General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. couldn't pass him up. After all, how many times has a first-round wide receiver come out and said he has no issues not being the No. 1 guy if that's the direction the team chooses to go? The answer: not many.

"To be the number one receiver for the Giants? There are guys there who already have themselves established. I’m really looking forward to coming in and competing, competing for a spot with these guys," he said. "Wherever I may fall, I may fall but at the end of the day you always want to be that number one as a competitor, in everything you do."

It's easy to see why head coach Tom Coughlin came away so impressed with Beckham's initial team interview. He's well-spoken, intelligent and humble — a great way to begin your career in New York.

Tags: Eli Manning, Football, LSU, New Orleans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Peyton Manning

8 Responses to “Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning”

In a week he’ll sign with Drew Rosenhaus … then he’ll start talking about “respect” and “feeding his family”.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

gotta tell you, i havent seen a whole lot of this kid. And when i’ve watched LSU play the past year, It wasn’t a jarring impression left on me.

but what do i know? I know the kid can flat out fly. And we need speed on the outside.

He’s a NYG now, so gotta root for him.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Also, this pick seems like a McAdoo pick. Such fitting WR for his system. We needed an offensive weapon for Eli, so hopefully he fits the bill.

Although his stock was rising fast, my concern is that it’s a bit of a reach of a pick.

Geez, I missed out on the fun last night, but I have a few comments:

1) You judge a DRAFT, not a single pick. Relax, there’s a long way to go before we can judge what Reese, Ross & Co. came out of this draft with;

2) This is a pick of an excellent prospect who fits PERFECTLY into a McAdoo offense. Look at the Packers in their best days. What did they have? Four downfield receivers whom Rodgers could target out of multiple formations (none of whom, by the way, were particularly big) so that the defense was always stressed to match up with all of them and usually left one receiver open enough for a top quarterback to make an early read and complete a relatively easy throw. ODB, Randle, Cruz, Manningham, Jernigan (plus we have Jennings who can catch the ball and will presumably have a tight end who can benefit from the kind of clear-out patterns that McAdoo also loves where the tight end or halfback is left VERY open for a safe throw to just keep moving the ball) look to me like they were designed to execute the old Green Bay offense;

3) Beckham fits the prototype of the new NFL receiver: thanks to increasing pressure on the QB (since everyone has copycatted the Giants pass rushing formula since 2007 when they saw a great pass rush beat a team they thought was unbeatable) and the need to go with quicker releases there is a HUGE premium on receivers who are true YAC threats. With the exception of Randle we’re now loaded up with those types. That’s a good thing;

4) I loved Lewan and Martin but based upon the way things went last night, whether by luck or design, the Giants are left with plenty of excellent O-line choices for rounds 2-4. I’ve always contended that they needed to come out of this draft with two O-line picks out of their first four, and I still expect that to be the case. We’ll see;

5) I would take ODB over Evans every day of the week. Evans has a chance to be a very good player but he is not that speedy off the LOS. ODB is great right out of his stance. And every time I saw LSU play it seemed that they looked to him for the big catch and he also seemed to easily find holes in the zone. He sounds intelligent, and coachable. And I really like the fact that his family is intact and his parents are both highly accomplished athletes. I’m guessing he is a stable personality with a very solid work ethic and a great sense of how much more work he needs to put in to be a “champion”. He seems to have exactly the kind of personality the Giants rightly crave.

And just as a last point, Jerry Reese simply does not miss on first round picks. Period. This will prove another good one. My guess is that by early Saturday most here will be singing Reese’s praises. I think he’s set up to have a great draft.

5.  rlhjr says:

The thing about Beckham is right now, I suspect he can beat most defensive backs with his ability to release off the line of scrimmage. Beckham understands the fine points of playing the game.

He can get across the face of a defensive back very quickly, and if he’s even, he leaving.

He is very explosive and that aids the pass blocking and QB because he presents himself as an open target quickly and consistently. The defense has to give him room. Thus he takes pressure of the OL pass blocking.

What I want to see next is a high level guard or tackle taken with the next two picks. My one caveat would be the presents of an impact defensive line player. Because I feel Lewan’s teammate Schofield is a workable project player at OT. In other words Schofield could be playing next season or by the end of this season. And Schofield should be in play in round 4 or 5.
    This kid is big and just as nasty as Lewan. And Jesus, there are many others to pick from.

I actually think Martin was a vary good pick for the Cowboys. When you have a swiss cheese offensive line getting a Swiss Army Knife player who can help you at, at a minimum, four positions on the O-line, you’ve made an excellent acquisition.

I’d have been VERY happy with Martin….until I saw how the rest of the first round went and sat back and realized how many potentially excellent offensive linemen were going to still be there for the taking in rounds 2-4. I have no problem at all with what Reese did.

I am, though, bracing myself for the reaction of the fans when we draft some offensive tackle from an obscure program in the 5th or 6th round. We’ll get a “name” on the offensive line by the time tonight is over, but I’m not going to be surprised at all if our scouts have pushed for some talented kid who none of us have heard of before his name is called late in the draft. He’ll be called Reese’s latest bottom fish project. Everyone will forget that O’Hara was an UDFA (signed initially by the Browns), no one wanted Seubert, Diehl was a nobody, etc.

7.  rlhjr says:

Well I firmly believe that each member of an offensive line should be able to get outside and to the second level of a defense. I also believe you have a strong side (left or right) that you run behind. Who cares if the other team knows it, they have to stop it.

That said, with Pugh and Swartz a players like Jackson, Bitonio, Su’a-Filo, Yankey or Kouandjio match up well. They create a balance between power and finesse that is required. With players like that, the team might even be able to run a screen pass someday. And maybe even get a block down field from someone other than a receiver. Much less actually creating an actual hole for runners to exploit.

As Nosh alluded to yesterday, Giant running backs of the last 5 years have to deal with defensive linemen prior to making it to the line of scrimmage.