Leading up to the 2014 NFL Draft, LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. saw his stock skyrocket. In fact, in the hours leading up to the start of the draft, there were multiple reports that teams like the New York Jets and San Francisco 49ers were strongly considering a trade up to select him inside the Top 10. Ultimately, he was available to the New York Giants at No. 12 and they wasted no time in scooping him up.
"It’s an overwhelming experience. I’m so happy to be a Giant. … It's the perfect situation." Beckham Jr. said. "[I thought] it would be great to be a Giant. I had no idea that I was going to get taken by them. Honestly I hadn’t heard much from them so it was all kind of just a blur to me."
In addition to his explosive talent and game-changing speed, Beckham Jr. also brings with him a previous — albeit limited — experience with quarterback Eli Manning. The two, along with Peyton Manning, attended the same High School in New Orleans, and despite being 12 years apart, Beckham Jr. admits he has run some routes with Eli in the past.
"I remember walking through the school and seeing his jersey, along with Peyton and the Mannings as well. Every single day it was just kind of motivation to me," Beckham Jr. said. "I threw with them a couple times, so I know exactly what he has in store and what he has to offer. I’m really looking forward to getting back together with him."
Add in Beckham's humble nature, and it's not hard to see why General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. couldn't pass him up. After all, how many times has a first-round wide receiver come out and said he has no issues not being the No. 1 guy if that's the direction the team chooses to go? The answer: not many.
"To be the number one receiver for the Giants? There are guys there who already have themselves established. I’m really looking forward to coming in and competing, competing for a spot with these guys," he said. "Wherever I may fall, I may fall but at the end of the day you always want to be that number one as a competitor, in everything you do."
It's easy to see why head coach Tom Coughlin came away so impressed with Beckham's initial team interview. He's well-spoken, intelligent and humble — a great way to begin your career in New York.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: No Way We Could Pass up the Near Pro-Ready Odell Beckham Jr.
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report
- New York Jets Looking to Move Ahead of New York Giants for LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1au8