After months of speculation and wondering what the New York Giants would do with their number 12 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, they decided to give Eli Manning a replacement for Hakeem Nicks and a deep threat weapon with LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.
Beckham has drawn comparisons to players like DeSean Jackson (minus the bad attitude), Antonio Brown and Greg Jennings because of his tremendous speed and big-play ability, things that Nicks no longer gave the Giants and in reality, hurt the Giants ability to make plays and score in 2012 and 2013, which is why now, Nicks is a member of the Indianapolis Colts on a one-year deal instead of with the Giants on a long-term deal.
While some fans weren't thrilled with the pick of Beckham because Notre Dame's Zack Martin was available to be picked (he fell to the Dallas Cowboys,) a lot of people around football absolutely loved the pick of Beckham for the Giants, one of which was former Indianapolis Colts general manager and now ESPN analyst Bill Polian, who said the pick of Beckham was not only a great pick for the Giants, but a major upgrade over Nicks.
"The Giants get a replacement for Hakeem Nicks in Odell Beckham and in reality, it's a pretty big upgrade. Beckham has great speed on the stopwatch and great play speed on the field. More importantly, he's got terrific separation skills. He can get to the top of the route and instantly separate; he's also strong enough to beat press coverage. Those are things that Nicks could no longer do at this stage of his career. Beckham went to the same high school as Eli Manning and they'll team up again in New York. With this pick, they solve a very big piece of the puzzle."
Beckham is very good friends with another LSU alum and now Giants teammate Rueben Randle and was informed this week by Randle that the Giants were heavily considering taking him with the 12th pick if he was there. Last year for LSU, Beckham had 57 catches for 1,117 yards and eight touchdowns.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants’ Jerry Reese: No Way We Could Pass up the Near Pro-Ready Odell Beckham Jr.
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report
- Odell Beckham Jr. “Happy” to Land with New York Giants; Recalls Past with Eli Manning
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aui