Projected by some to go in Round 3, Richburg was still regarded as the best center available in the draft. Despite the minor reach early in Round 2, the Giants do have themselves a relatively polished and talented interior lineman who Giants 101 featured twice as a potential Big Blue target.
Anthony Raia provided a short scouting report on him all the way back in December:
Richburg is one of the best centers in the nation this year, and part of an offensive line that helped average 461 yards per game. The Giants will likely try to move on from injury prone David Bass, and value could be found in Richburg. Keep in mind, Richburg was called for an astonishing zero penalties last year as a junior.
Richburg started his High School football career, but a significant growth spurt eventually landed him on the offensive line — he has played tackle, guard and center in college.
"Ideal pick for us. He is terrific," General Manager Jerry Reese said. "Versatile player, really good athlete. Center is a very important part of our new offensive scheme. We brought J.D. in, but we're trying to create some competition there at the position."
Perhaps above all else, the Giants love Richburg's smarts. He reportedly blew them away in his pre-Draft interview and head coach Tom Coughlin says that's an important aspect when it comes to Ben McAdoo's new offensive system. However, it's no guarantee he's lock to play center — should J.D. Walton win the job, Richburg stands a chance at finding playing time elsewhere along the line.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- 2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.
- Jerry Reese: New York Giants “Not Afraid” to Draft Another QB in 2014 NFL Draft — Even at No. 12
- New York Giants Select Tight End Eric Ebron in Mel Kiper’s Latest Mock Draft
- New York Giants Likely to Focus on Offense During 2014 NFL Draft
- New York Giants May Target WR Mike Evans in 2014 NFL Draft: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aut