May 8th, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has slowly become a focal point of the 2014 NFL Draft. There have been reports about the Dallas Cowboys targeting him aggressively, as well as reports that he has no desire to play for either the Houston Texans or Jacksonville Jaguars. But what about the New York Giants?

Back in late February, Giants General Manager Jerry Reese said the team would would not be afraid to draft a quarterback — even in the first-round at pick No. 12 — so from that standpoint, it's entirely plausable.

"If there is a quarterback up there when we're picking at the right time, we won't be afraid to pick him," Reese said. "I don't think it's going to present itself in the first round. But we're not afraid."

Fast forward to now and The Star-Ledger is reporting that should Manziel slip to the Giants at No. 12, the team would seriously considering selecting him despite their plethora of quarterbacks, including their franchise in Eli Manning.

If Manziel slides to them, the Giants would seriously consider drafting him, a person with knowledge of the team's draft philosophy told NJ.com. The person claims the Giants would have that discussion (and likely already have chatted about the possible scenario), despite having two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Eli Manning on the roster.

As unrealistic as it seems, Reese has made it abundantly clear quarterback is an option at No. 12. However, the more likely reality is that the Giants are attempting to drum up interest from teams looking to trade up for a quarterback. And, in the event Manziel fell and there was no one remaining on the board they truly desired, it would allow Reese to trade back a few spots, pick up more picks and, ideally, still come away with someone from their draft board.

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Eli Manning, Football, Houston, Houston Texans, Jacksonville, Jacksonville Jaguars, Jerry Reese, Johnny Manziel, New York, New York Giants, NFL

25 Responses to “Should Johnny Manziel Fall to No. 12, New York Giants Would Strongly Consider Him: Report”

1.  aikitim says:

If you ask Jerry Reese if he is considering a prospect, the answer is always yes. I don’t even watch his press conferences anymore they are infuriating.

8pm can not come soon enough. It’s a shame I have to watch via crappy airplane wifi….

fanfor55years says:
    May 8, 2014 at 12:34 PM
    Well, one thing we do NOT know, and which could drastically affect our approach to the draft, is just what the team REALLY thinks about Brewer, Mosley, Herman, Robinson and Donnell. If we’re honest, none of us has a clue how good any of them are at this point.

From what we’ve seen Brewer seems, at best, potentially average. We haven’t seen enough of the other two young offensive linemen to know anything worthwhile about them. The little we’ve seen of Robinson and Donnell has not been very impressive, and their coach was fired. Does that mean that the personnel department felt that they had been mismanaged and have plenty of talent? We just cannot know. But they both LOOK like Giants’ tight ends and one of them certainly arrived with very strong backing from Jerry Reese, who generally is careful about what he says about players.

If, for example, Flaherty, Coughlin and McAdoo have agreed that Mosley looks ready to take over at right tackle (remember, he was a major mauler in the SEC), or certainly compete for that position with a reasonable chance of winning it, and that Pugh can handle the left side before they decide whether to play him at tackle or inside starting in 2015 when Snee has departed, that would have to affect their rankings of prospects and leave them less concerned if Robinson, Matthews, Lewan and Martin all come off the board before they’re on the clock.

If the coaching staff agrees with Reese that this should be the year that Robinson breaks out then that would have to affect their view of Ebron. Both could be matchup nightmares, the later because of his size/speed/skill attributes and the former because of his size/speed and, hopefully, his learned skills since he came into the league. If they truly believe in Robinson I’m not sure they’ll want two “elite” tight ends because that isn’t an area in which they’re going to invest too much money. And just as a reminder, McAdoo did not have elite tight ends in his Green Bay offense, just reliable guys who were versatile enough to be sent to parts of the field where coverage was weakened by what the other receivers were doing.

It’s going to be fun to see what happens. I’m stuck at a charity dinner tonight (I’m a Co-Chairman so can’t beg off) but have informed my son that he’s to text me with each pick as they are made. I expect to be happy at the end of the evening.

Manziel in New York. Coughlin coaching him. First preseason play he makes one read and then takes off downfield and runs 80 yards for a TD. Comes off the field after saluting crowd, is body-slammed by Coughlin and never takes another snap in 2014 while coaches say he looks “promising” in practices while Nassib takes over the backup role, plays very well behind a better bunch of scrubs than he saw last year, and becomes the object of 8 teams’ desire. Reese offers Nassib for a first pick, Manziel (whom he calls “the JPP of quarterbacks”) for a second convertible to a first if he plays more than 300 minutes for the team that takes him. Eli throws for 3200 yards, has 17 interceptions. Stories abound that Manziel will replace him (Nassib was the one traded). Eli throws for 4300 yards and 34 TDs versus 11 interceptions in leading Giants to a title in 2015.

It’s all so clear.

•  aikitim says:

Jerry Reese, taking a cord from his mentor Mr. Accorsi, coins a new draft catchphrase “You can never have enough Quarterbacks.”

4.  norm says:

To be clear, I’m not advocating for a pass rusher at 12. It’s simply my prediction as to the direction I think Reese will go.

I’m with BBG. I’ll be OK with whomever is selected. JPP was the last time I threw a hissy fit over a Giants pick. We all know how that turned out. Since then I’ve come to the realization that the front office’s due diligence is somehow greater than whatever I insights I may glean from watching 2-3 college games a year & Youtube highlights, and reading draft “analysis” & forums such as this one. Shocking, but true.

Which is not to say that Reese & Co. are immune from mistakes. It’s just the nature of the beast. When two of the best talent evaluators that the game has ever known – Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells – call an excellent draft one in which 50% of the players selected turn out to be useful NFL players, then you see the draft for what it actually is – a coin flip at best. Unfortunately for Reese and the Giants, they’ve called “Heads” over the past few drafts only to watch the coin come up tails. It doesn’t mean the Giants are “bad at drafting” (as was suggested earlier) or that Reese and his scouts have somehow forgotten what an NFL player looks like. It just be’s like that sometimes. Hopefully, this is the year that the odds correct more in the Giants’ favor.

As for the Manziel talk… can you say “smokescreen”? This is nothing more than a (rather transparent) ploy to dupe one of the teams who covets Johnny Football to grab him prior to 12.

Yep, this stuff should be obvious to all, but is not.

The dream scenario for us is that all those teams talking down Bridgewater are posing and that he, Manziel and Bortles all go in the top 11 picks. Hell, throw Carr in there too. In any case, Reese is most certainly NOT going to select Manziel regardless of what he says for public consumption.

Pass rusher? Maybe, but with JPP, Moore, Kiwi, Ayers and Jenkins we have enough of them for 2014 and could supplement them later in this draft. Not only that, but with the addition of DRC to cover the opposition’s #2 receiver Fewell could release Prince as a blitzer occasionally. The kid can tackle and he’s physical enough to go through a chip block. And we already know Rolle can blitz well. I don’t see any player who would pressure the quarterback who is worthy of the #12 pick. If we could trade down (highly unlikely) then the situation changes.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Disagree about the pass rushers on this roster. I actually think it’s a weakness of the team. We don’t actually know what we’re gonna get out of JPP this year (yep, I said it), Moore looks promising but hasn’t seen too many snaps, Kiwi is a step slower, and Ayers is average.

I actually think if we trade back a Kony Ealy WILL be the pick.

•  kujo says:

Ealy is in the group of players I’d like if we trade back, or if all the OTs and WRs are gone. I think he’s raw but has a lot of physical tools we like, chiefly long arms and closing speed.

I just got a call from an old high school buddy. He told me Jerry Reese is considering drafting me. He saw some of my old high school tapes. Figured that because of my bad back and deteriorated hip I’d be overlooked by most GMs so could be a good value pick in the fifth round. Should I be selected I will be blessed and will let everyone know that I feel exactly that on Twitter.

By the way, I can still make all the pro throws, as long as they needn’t travel more than 30 yards (make that 25).

•  skinnydoogan says:

Now that is weird because I was told the same about myself, except I would be drafted in the 8th round……

•  kujo says:

I was told they’d draft me because I’m not that much smaller than Aaron Donald!

•  GIANTT says:

Its a smokescreen you guys . I saw both of you on daguerreotypes and you looked a little stiff and wooden . I know this would be a BIG plus in some areas but definitely not in football , so please dont give up your day jobs for the moment.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

FF55, they had film when you went to HS.

6.  kujo says:

LOL….sure we would….

7.  skinnydoogan says:

If we draft Martin, this is what we get:
    Beatty-Pugh-Walton-Schwartz-Martin, once Snee gets hurt
    Martin-Schwartz-Walton-Snee-Pugh, if Beatty’s leg takes forever to heal
    Martin-Jerry-Walton-Schwartz-Pugh, if Beatty and Snee are both hurt
    Beatty-Schwartz-Martin-Snee-Pugh, if Walton sucks

•  rlhjr says:

So let’s just cut Brewer now and get it over with. REMEMBER:

1. (TE/WR) Eric Ebron
      2. (OG) David Yankey
      3. (DE) Kareem Martin
      4. (OT) Cameron Fleming
      5. (C) Bryan Stork or Russell Bodine
      6. (RB) James Wilder Jr.
      7. (DT) Villiami Moala

•  skinnydoogan says:

Brewer will be cut, there are now too many actual offensive lineman on this team not to cut him.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Brewer will NOT be cut. Mark that down. There are others that will go wayyyyy before him.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Ok then you know better than me. Maybe I should go dust off the Weber kettle grill……

•  skinnydoogan says:

Don’t we have a compensatory pick in there somewhere?