Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel has slowly become a focal point of the 2014 NFL Draft. There have been reports about the Dallas Cowboys targeting him aggressively, as well as reports that he has no desire to play for either the Houston Texans or Jacksonville Jaguars. But what about the New York Giants?
Back in late February, Giants General Manager Jerry Reese said the team would would not be afraid to draft a quarterback — even in the first-round at pick No. 12 — so from that standpoint, it's entirely plausable.
"If there is a quarterback up there when we're picking at the right time, we won't be afraid to pick him," Reese said. "I don't think it's going to present itself in the first round. But we're not afraid."
Fast forward to now and The Star-Ledger is reporting that should Manziel slip to the Giants at No. 12, the team would seriously considering selecting him despite their plethora of quarterbacks, including their franchise in Eli Manning.
If Manziel slides to them, the Giants would seriously consider drafting him, a person with knowledge of the team's draft philosophy told NJ.com. The person claims the Giants would have that discussion (and likely already have chatted about the possible scenario), despite having two-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Eli Manning on the roster.
As unrealistic as it seems, Reese has made it abundantly clear quarterback is an option at No. 12. However, the more likely reality is that the Giants are attempting to drum up interest from teams looking to trade up for a quarterback. And, in the event Manziel fell and there was no one remaining on the board they truly desired, it would allow Reese to trade back a few spots, pick up more picks and, ideally, still come away with someone from their draft board.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Mike Evans Near Top of New York Giants’ Draft Board; Team “Seriously” Interested: Report
- Quarterback Josh Freeman Likely to Workout for New York Giants: Report
- New York Giants, Quarterback Josh Freeman Agree to Terms: Report
- New York Giants May Consider Trading up for WR Mike Evans: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1atc