May 8th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

With only hours remaining until the start of the 2014 NFL Draft, what the New York Giants plan to do with their first-round pick is still anyone's guess. To date, they've been linked to anyone from Michigan's Taylor Lewan to Alabama's C.J. Mosley. But one intriguing name that has surfaced more and more in recent days is LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who has gone from a bit of an after-thought to leaping Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans in some mock drafts.

Although the Giants have reportedly been focusing in on Mike Evans, the team is also said to "think highly" of Beckham Jr. In fact, the New York Jets seem so concerned with the Giants' possible interest in Beckham Jr. that they've considered trading up in front of the Giants in order to draft him.

That concern may be justified, as Beckham Jr. told the media on Wednesday that his former teammate and current Giants wideout, Rueben Randle, informed him that Big Blue is, in fact, looking at and considering him with the No. 12 pick.

"He just said '[The Giants] are looking at you, but there's also a lot of other people looking at you,'" Beckham said at a Play 60 event in Manhattan Wednesday. "Hopefully I can go that high at No. 12. Maybe higher. It doesn't matter to me. I'm just enjoying the process."

Whether or not Randle was just blowing smoke is anyone's guess, but when asked about Victor Cruz's stance on the Giants taking Mike Evans, General Manager Jerry Reese said the players have "zero" input. And given how tight-lipped the team is about draft plans, it seems highly unlikely that Randle would be privy to anything.

That being said, Beckham Jr. would love to be reunited with his friend and would be thrilled to lineup on the same field as him.

"Absolutely, Rueben is like a big brother to me," Beckham said. "Ever since we were there, he's been teaching me the little things. He didn't always speak, but by his actions you could always follow him."

Perhaps somewhat ironically, if the Giants were to take a wide receiver in Round 1, it would likely be to start alongside Victor Cruz. So if Randle is campaigning for Beckham Jr., he may inadvertently also be campaigning for someone else to take his job.

Tags: C.J. Mosley, Football, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Rueben Randle, Taylor Lewan

32 Responses to “Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST:

BigBlueGiant says:
    May 8, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Draft Day.

I’m not sure what direction we go in, but in all honesty whatever the NY Giants do with the #12 pick, I believe it will be the BEST thing for the team, not matter what.

I know a bunch of you guys are all on this O-line thing, but as i’ve said before, I see them all going before we pick due to the fact that O-linemen fly off the board. And i’ve heard the latest word that Donald has moved into the top 10 as well.

I think it’s going to be very interesting. My prediction, trade down. Draft Kony Ealy with the 1st pick.

GOAT56 says:
    May 8, 2014 at 10:57 AM

This one of the reason why I see Barr. It’s possible all the OL and Donald are off the board. I think most of us would trade down, just not sure that option will be avaialble. Ealy is definitely JR’s type of pick. 12 is just too high for him or at least it seems. Ealy was much better at his pro day and maybe is that sleeper pick for us at 12.
    —-

I don’t see us grabbing him at 12. trade down and he’ll be there.

Also, I don’t see us drafting Odell Beckham Jr at 12. Especially if Ebron is on the board. If we trade down with the Jets, there’s a chance that Ebron is still there at 18 or 19 (whenever the jets pick is). IMO, that would be BEST case scenario.

•  Sintexo says:

If the jets are worried about us taking OBJ, they’d be looking to trade ahead of us, not waiting until we were on the clock.

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

REPOST:

BigBlueGiant says:
    May 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM

FYI, word is that the Vikings are drafting Aaron Donald at #8. They supposedly LOVE the kid and want a serious interior pass rusher.

3.  BigBlueGiant says:

Skinnydoogen! You’re all over the place dude. A few weeks ago you were riding the Ebron, Mike Evans wagon pretty hard. Now you’re screaming O-Line?!

in all honesty, i think that we can get really good value at the Oline in the 2nd or 3rd round. I don’t think it’s as much as a necessity at 12 as everyone else does. I also think that the guys we really want to draft for our O-line won’t be there at 12.

All i know is whoever we pick, will be a NYG!!! :)

•  skinnydoogan says:

I will admit to be enamored with Ebron, but I NEVER mentioned Evans even once. I will stick with what I said about the O-line, but if the 4 really good ones are gone, then I would not be upset if Ebron was the pick. What I don’t want to see is Cullen Jenkins part 2 on our D-line. Yes Jenkins is good, but we do not need another smaller finesse tackle on our line.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

LOL! Cullen Jenkins was our best DT last year. He’s a great player. and Cullen Jenkins in his prime was a BEAST of a player. I wouldn’t be mad at that.

IF Ebron is the pick, and I say IF because I just don;t think he will be as much as I really want him in blue, I will tell you this… We will be all very fortunate to watch that kid tear up defenses. Eli would have a field day with him.

•  skinnydoogan says:

Your missing my point BBG I am NOT saying Jenkins is bad, he is VERY good, what I am saying is another finesse DT is not what we need we have one already.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i disagree but whatever. you can never have too many pass rusher. Especially on the interior because they’re harder to find.

4.  BigBlueGiant says:

GOAT, read a post from you last night when you said that Ebron wasn’t that good. You are so far off it’s scary. Perhaps he might not light it up as a rookie, but let it be known, this kid is going to be a matchup NIGHTMARE for DC’s in the NFL. He’s the real deal and a VERY good football player.

also, don’t buy into the “me first” thing. The kid is just confident, he’s not a diva like Dez.

•  skinnydoogan says:

GOAT is also the guy who thinks Snee and Beatty are perfectly fine for our O-line.

•  skinnydoogan says:

and no Brewer, Herrmann and Mosely are not answers either.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

well, I agree with him about Brewer, Mosely Herman not being the answers. But I think Snee can still hold his own for another year, until we groom a draft pick under him. Beatty on the other hand was hot garbage last year and a bad broken leg will be hard for him to come back from. A man his size, bones don’t heal as well.

•  skinnydoogan says:

I Brewer makes our starting line up and plays well, I will personally chauffer FF55 to the games and grill burgers for him in the parking lot.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

Well, get your Chauffer hat ready, because he started a few games last year for us. And you know Injuries will be part of this season some how.

•  rlhjr says:

JUST FOR $7!+’S AND GRINS

1. (TE/WR) Eric Ebron
          2. (OG) David Yankey
          3. (DE) Kareem Martin
          4. (OT) Cameron Fleming
          5. (C) Bryan Stork or Russell Bodine
          6. (RB) James Wilder Jr.
          7. (DT) Villiami Moala

To pass on Ebron when all the starting calliber OT’s are gone is nuts.
          And even when they got Eli, the Giants didnt move up. They just swaped the pick with San Dog. The Giants NEVER give up draft picks to move up in the draft. So as the thugs is Jersey say…….FAGIDABODIT.

By the way, who knew Acorssi almost drafted Rape-ist-burger back in 04?

•  rlhjr says:

In all honesty, I think Reese will have to get Fleming with his third pick.
            And Martin would most likely be gone at pick number 4. But Cameron Fleming should be wearing Blue sometime Friday evening.

5.  ERICHONIUS says:

Repost:
    @ everyone claiming the giants are bad at the draft as a reason we shouldn’t trade down.
    @ Pittsburgjim in particular
    I feel your logic is a bit off. Let’s say I accept your premise that the Giants are just not good at the draft; what does that mean? I would assume that means they have a lower probability of selecting a player who will contribute to the team with any given pick. If that is true, your second premise that the giants shouldn’t trade for more picks because they are bad at the draft doesn’t really make any sense. More picks means more chances. If the giants are bad at the draft, and they have a lower probability of selecting a player that contributes with any single pick, it stands to reason that you would want to INCREASE the number of picks that way you you have more chances at the low probability event of drafting a player who contributes.
    Finally, the premise that the giants are bad at the draft is pure horse crap. The giants are close to the league average at selecting starters with their draft picks. The real reason that more of our draft picks don’t pan out is due to injury. We have had many draft picks who have performed well for us but then develop injury problems. Skill at the draft is predicated on finding talent, it’s not about predicting random injuries. The truth is we are bad at keeping out off the gurney. So really, it doesn’t matter who we pick because likely that player will end up with some severe career threatening injury that will reduce his contribution.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

Keeping our talent* out of the gurney

•  GIANTT says:

Thats a bit of a stretch isnt it ? Truth is none of us know why the Giants players seem to succumb to injuries more than other teams . Is it perception or reality ? I dont know and I dont know if the frequency of injuries is a freak accident or is it a result of the Giants training techniques . My only problem with this is that I very much doubt that Giants’ methods are hugely different from other teams . I know there has been commentary on here but I dont believe Ive seen a writer agree to the theory .
      I just feel a little testy and I see others in the same mood . Im going to refrain from reactive commentary after this post and I suggest others do also
      Peace out

•  ERICHONIUS says:

I am pretty sure there was an article last year that detailed the high rate of injury for our draft picks. There was also an article recently that discussed how we were the most injured team in NFL history last year. I went through the data on that statistic (if I remember correctly number of games missed by starters) and we have been in the top 10 in injures almost every year since 2006 (I think 2008 was the only year we were not, if I remember correctly) . So yeah I am pretty sure that our high injury rate is more than mere illusion.

6.  BigBlueGiant says:

in all honesty, i don;t care who we draft at #12. They will be a NYG regardless. And i have faith that this organization WILL turn this around in the next TWO years.

Be it Oline, WR, DT, TE, CB, S, DE, DT….. i have some hope that will select the right fit for this team.

Draft Prospect: “Hey Mr. Reese, are you guys thinking about drafting me ?”

Reese: “Ummmm ahhhh, yeah, sure. We’re definitely thinking about it. What was your name again ?”

8.  Begiant says:

I am hoping for Lewan, Donald or Evans at 12. I wouldn’t be mad with Martin and I think Barr wouldn’t be used correctly so I would be worried there. If we want another prospect (unless someone drops) I really hope we trade down. Ebron would make a lot of sense for McAdoo and the Giants, but offensive line is truly the most important to our success next year, and DT and WR are more important than TE in my opinion.

Well, one thing we do NOT know, and which could drastically affect our approach to the draft, is just what the team REALLY thinks about Brewer, Mosley, Herman, Robinson and Donnell. If we’re honest, none of us has a clue how good any of them are at this point.

From what we’ve seen Brewer seems, at best, potentially average. We haven’t seen enough of the other two young offensive linemen to know anything worthwhile about them. The little we’ve seen of Robinson and Donnell has not been very impressive, and their coach was fired. Does that mean that the personnel department felt that they had been mismanaged and have plenty of talent? We just cannot know. But they both LOOK like Giants’ tight ends and one of them certainly arrived with very strong backing from Jerry Reese, who generally is careful about what he says about players.

If, for example, Flaherty, Coughlin and McAdoo have agreed that Mosley looks ready to take over at right tackle (remember, he was a major mauler in the SEC), or certainly compete for that position with a reasonable chance of winning it, and that Pugh can handle the left side before they decide whether to play him at tackle or inside starting in 2015 when Snee has departed, that would have to affect their rankings of prospects and leave them less concerned if Robinson, Matthews, Lewan and Martin all come off the board before they’re on the clock.

If the coaching staff agrees with Reese that this should be the year that Robinson breaks out then that would have to affect their view of Ebron. Both could be matchup nightmares, the later because of his size/speed/skill attributes and the former because of his size/speed and, hopefully, his learned skills since he came into the league. If they truly believe in Robinson I’m not sure they’ll want two “elite” tight ends because that isn’t an area in which they’re going to invest too much money. And just as a reminder, McAdoo did not have elite tight ends in his Green Bay offense, just reliable guys who were versatile enough to be sent to parts of the field where coverage was weakened by what the other receivers were doing.

It’s going to be fun to see what happens. I’m stuck at a charity dinner tonight (I’m a Co-Chairman so can’t beg off) but have informed my son that he’s to text me with each pick as they are made. I expect to be happy at the end of the evening.

•  Begiant says:

FF55, you have been high on Martin correct? Given the drop-off in talent at T after Martin, how would you feel about a trade down with a team like Miami if Martin is there at 12. (assuming Miami or someone wants Martin)

10.  BBWC says:

Here’s my choices for tonight (based off who I think will be available):

1) OT Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin, either one is fine with me.
    2) DT Aaron Donald
    3) WR Odell Beckham
    4) CB Justin Gilbert

Players I’d pass on:

TE Eric Ebron – not that I don’t like him, but I wouldn’t take a TE that high in the draft.
    OLB Anthony Barr – not a good fit.