A little over a week ago, conflicting reports surfaced that suggested the New York Giants may or may not be one of the final four teams in consideration for HBO's "Hard Knocks" in 2014. And while it was accurate that they were one of the few remaining teams league-wide that could be forced to participate in the show, it turns out that reports of them being in the final four were, in fact, erroneous.
It has now been confirmed that the Giants will not take part in the 2014 version of HBO's Hard Knocks, which should come as no real surprise given co-owner John Mara's stance on the show.
"That announcement [to appear on Hard Knocks] will come when I'm next to my father in Gates of Heaven cemetery," Mara said in 2010.
The reason the Giants remained in consideration despite Mara's blatant refusal to partake is because the NFL instituted a new rule — beginning this year — that should no clubs volunteer, the league could "force" a team to participate if they met the following requirements:
- The team doesn’t have a new head coach.
- The team didn’t make the playoffs in either of the previous 2 seasons.
- The team didn’t appear on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years.
The Giants, of course, do fit those requirements and were one of only eight teams who did. However, based on multiple reports around the league, several teams have stepped up and volunteered to take part in the show, although they all currently remain anonymous.
For Mara, his best hope at avoiding this situation again in 2015 is by making the playoffs here in 2014. So if the Giants needed any additional motivation heading into the upcoming season, they should be able to find it right there.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants One of Eight Teams That Could Still Be Forced to Participate in HBO’s “Hark Knocks”
- Conflicting Reports on New York Giants Being Finalist for HBO’s Hard Knocks
- New York Giants Co-Owner John Mara: Expanded Playoffs Unlikely for 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1at7