New York Giants Will not Appear on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” in 2014

May 8th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

A little over a week ago, conflicting reports surfaced that suggested the New York Giants may or may not be one of the final four teams in consideration for HBO's "Hard Knocks" in 2014. And while it was accurate that they were one of the few remaining teams league-wide that could be forced to participate in the show, it turns out that reports of them being in the final four were, in fact, erroneous.

It has now been confirmed that the Giants will not take part in the 2014 version of HBO's Hard Knocks, which should come as no real surprise given co-owner John Mara's stance on the show.

"That announcement [to appear on Hard Knocks] will come when I'm next to my father in Gates of Heaven cemetery," Mara said in 2010.

The reason the Giants remained in consideration despite Mara's blatant refusal to partake is because the NFL instituted a new rule — beginning this year — that should no clubs volunteer, the league could "force" a team to participate if they met the following requirements:

• The team doesn’t have a new head coach.
  • The team didn’t make the playoffs in either of the previous 2 seasons.
  • The team didn’t appear on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years.

The Giants, of course, do fit those requirements and were one of only eight teams who did. However, based on multiple reports around the league, several teams have stepped up and volunteered to take part in the show, although they all currently remain anonymous.

For Mara, his best hope at avoiding this situation again in 2015 is by making the playoffs here in 2014. So if the Giants needed any additional motivation heading into the upcoming season, they should be able to find it right there.

Tags: Football, John Mara, New York, New York Giants, NFL

19 Responses to “New York Giants Will not Appear on HBO’s “Hard Knocks” in 2014”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!

2.  BillyS says:

*phew* now let’s hope we also make the playoffs so we aren’t forced to go through this next year as well.

3.  skinnydoogan says:

Let’s all say it together O-line!!!

4.  PittsburghJim says:

PREDIX:

Gmen trade up to #8 with Vikings and select Jake Matthews after a ‘small’ slidedown…3rd rounder given in trade.

Rd #2 procures Allen Robinson, WR, PSU

Rd #4 procures Jake Murphy, TE, Utah

Rds 5-7 best player avail….

It should only happen. But I don’t think they can get to #8 by just giving their third pick.

If they came out of the draft with Matthews and Robinson I suspect Reese and Ross would be dancing at the microphone.

•  Sintexo says:

According to the draft trade charts 8 is worth a tad less than our 1st and 3rd. Would depend on how bad the Vikings wanted to trade down.

F55 – my argument isn’t that because we paid Beatty he can’t be benched. My argumement is because we paid Beatty because we believe in him. One year isn’t enough in my view to do a 180 an dnot even give him a chance to redeem himself. Look at other guys like Snee, Bass, Diehl, etc. we gave them all repeated chances. Beatty is only what 29 and his injury isn’t the type that should have any long term effects. To me that al ladds up to Beatty is givne the job at LT to at the very least start the season. And it’s not just a contract thing, in my view the 2012 version of Beatty is a better option than Pugh, a rookie, Brown or Jerry at LT for 2014. So it makes sense to give Beatty the job and see if he can recover.

In addition, I don’t believe Snee is in any real competition either. If he looks healthy he’s our starter. Now I understand we have long term questions on the OL which is why regardless how we feel about Beatty a Lewan or Martin could easily be the pick. I think wwe value certain things and a guy of the talent of Lewan regardless of even if Beatty was coming off his 2012 performance would receive a long look.

The roster already has 4 guys than can play LT so I don’t think we select an OL player at 12 just because the OL is a need it’s because we think very highly of the player. That’s why if there are players like Barr or Donald or another player we think highly of over an OL player because with other OL positions we can get an impact player in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Donald is a player I’m questionable about. If we drat him then it squashes a lot of my concerns because I don’t think we draft a pass rush only DT. But given his size I think it’s reasonable to have concerns about if Donalds college dominance can translate to the NFL. In today’s NFL Jenkins is a small DT and he’s 300-305. 285 is extremely small, it’s the equivilant to drafting Austin at WR last year. We are talking about a high first round player not just if he can help your football team.

I would be suprised if we don’t pick a player from the quartet of Barr, Donald, Martin or Lewan/Mathews. But if we did I’m guessing it would be an offensive weapon. I’m just not a fan of Ebron and while he wouldn’t be a shocking pick it would be surprising and disapointing for me. But I think WR is more likely and I think we would go away from the common thought of Beckum and draft Lee. Lee is being greatly underrated in my view, as a soph he was one of the better WR prospects I have seen. I would rather address another need at 12 because I beleive there just that many quality WRs. But Lee is a real sleeper option should we go WR.

GOAT, yes, they DID believe in Beatty (though it should be noted that he got a rather pedestrian contract for a LT with outs after two years, and that at the time Reese really had no other options). But the team has eyes. They saw what we saw last season. That wasn’t a “slump”. That was an announcement that the guy couldn’t anchor against a good bull rush and that the only way to stop a decent defensive end or OLB coming from that side was to also ask a tight end to help or a back to chip. McAdoo comes in and watches all of last season’s tape. he’s going to talk to Flaherty but he has to go by what he sees on film. And it was the equivalent to a Roger Corman production when watching Beatty.

So I don’t think Beatty will be assumed to be the answer going into tonight. I think they will still HOPE that he can turn things around, but I see no way that they will leave the fate of their passing game and Eli’s health to a “hope”. My guess is that right now they hope to draft a tackle who can himself, or allow Pugh to. displace Beatty. I’m guessing Plan B is to switch Pugh to the left tackle position and use one of the signed free agents at RT. Only if neither of those is doable will they assume Beatty at LT. Of course, his play in preseason could change everyone’s mind, but particularly if he isn’t fully recovered and has to limit his play over the summer, I just don’t see him as the starter at LT. He has to win the job back if he’s going to get it, contract or not.

I guess we disagree. Because Beatty didn’t get a pedestrian contract. He didn’t get elite money but a contract that said your our LT for at least 3 years.

I understand your view of Beatty but I just don’t think the team feels that way. You always quested Beatty and I don’t think you would have given him the contract the team did. So I think you are comming at it with a different viewpoint. Basically Beatty confirmed your fears last season. While for myself and I think the team we are greatly disapointed in what we saw but we beleive in what we saw prior and will give him a chance to redeem himself. We have other options for this year with or without a LT at 12.

I disagree with trading up. We need our full compliment of quality young players to help this team. If anything I would trade a future pick. At the end of the first I would offer next year’s first if there was a player we loved available. But this year’s draft is too deep to give up picks to get one player.

7.  PittsburghJim says:

GOAT56

I LOVE more picks, BUT we have proven as an organization that we are NOT VERY GOOD at this draft thing!!!

It hurts, I know. Look at Jon Maras’ comments regarding overvaluing players in recent draft. THAT is such an indictment of JR & his scouts that I blushed when I read it! Felt like I saw a lamp being thrown across the room (thinki of Hillary & Bill!!)

So, IF you gave up a pick to move & get that HULKING beautiful (hey now) son of a hall of famer LEFT TACKLE Jakey….you would’nt do it?

I say Vikes btw, b/c Spielman & company dont have the stones to take a QB. Trade down, get picks, get Kiper & Mayock OFF your back & save your job!!!!

We are not very good at draftig but we won 2 SBs with the core of our own players? Look there have been too many busts in recent years but that doesn’t mean you stop drafting. And none of these players are sure things so when you put all your eggs in one basket you set yourself up for greater possible failure.

Look at what most people consdier a great trade up in the Julio Jones trade. I think the trade has proven to be bad. While Jones is a great player I think the lost depth by using all those top 3 round picks to trade up really has hurt Atlanta’s overall roster. I think we need more good to very good players than one great player. We won SBs with that principle. Other teams had more stars but we had more of a depth of quality players which is how you win in the NFL.

So no I wouldn’t trade up. Not even a thought. We have too many depth issues. I wouldn’t consider trading a pick from this draft unless it was for a player.

•  ERICHONIUS says:

I feel your logic is a bit off. Let’s say I accept your premise that the Giants are just not good at the draft; what does that mean? I would assume that means they have a lower probability of selecting a player who will contribute to the team with any given pick. If that is true, your second premise that the giants shouldn’t trade for more picks because they are bad at the draft doesn’t really make any sense. More picks means more chances. If the giants are bad at the draft, and they have a lower probability of selecting a player that contributes with any single pick, it stands to reason that you would want to INCREASE the number of picks that way you you have more chances at the low probability event of drafting a player who contributes.
      Finally, the premise that the giants are bad at the draft is pure horse crap. The giants are close to the league average at selecting starters with their draft picks. The real reason that more of our draft picks don’t pan out is due to injury. We have had many draft picks who have performed well for us but then develop injury problems. Skill at the draft is predicated on finding talent, it’s not about predicting random injuries. The truth is we are bad at keeping out off the gurney. So really, it doesn’t matter who we pick because likely that player will end up with some severe career threatening injury that will reduce his contribution.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

Draft Day.

I’m not sure what direction we go in, but in all honesty whatever the NY Giants do with the #12 pick, I believe it will be the BEST thing for the team, not matter what.

I know a bunch of you guys are all on this O-line thing, but as i’ve said before, I see them all going before we pick due to the fact that O-linemen fly off the board. And i’ve heard the latest word that Donald has moved into the top 10 as well.

I think it’s going to be very interesting. My prediction, trade down. Draft Kony Ealy with the 1st pick.

This one of the reason why I see Barr. It’s possible all the OL and Donald are off the board. I think most of us would trade down, just not sure that option will be avaialble. Ealy is definitely JR’s type of pick. 12 is just too high for him or at least it seems. Ealy was much better at his pro day and maybe is that sleeper pick for us at 12.

9.  BigBlueGiant says:

FYI, word is that the Vikings are drafting Aaron Donald at #8. They supposedly LOVE the kid and want a serious interior pass rusher.

10.  skinnydoogan says:

GOAT you wouldn’t trade up and you are also the guy who thinks we are fine with Beatty and Snee starting. Not sure which Beatty and Snee you saw last year, but the 2 that I saw were horrible. FF is right, Beatty is in a battle for his starting job, Snee won’t make it past the 2nd game before the IR comes calling. And no, Brewer is not an answer.