Matt Miller Mocks Eric Ebron to New York Giants Following a Trade up to No. 8

May 8th, 2014 at 2:30 PM

North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron has been mocked to the New York Giants more times than can even be counted, but in his final mock draft prior to the actual start of the 2014 NFL Draft, NFL Draft expert Matt Miller added a bit of a twist to things. Rather than having the Giants take Ebron at No. 12, Miller actually mocked a scenario where Big Blue trades up and selects Ebron with the No. 8 pick.

In the 2013 NFL draft, we saw the San Francisco 49ers move from pick No. 31 all the way to No. 18 in exchange for a third-round pick. That's what the New York Giants give up in order to secure tight end Eric Ebron at No. 8.

To land Ebron, the Giants must get in front of the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions—which they do. This gives Eli Manning the big, athletic, Jimmy Graham-style tight end needed to really open up the Giants offense.

However true it may be about Ebron possibly going inside the Top 10, there is little chance the Giants would be willing to trade up to select him. In fact, even if he's there at No. 12 there now appears to be some question about the Giants' interest given some of Ebron's personality concerns — something General Manager Jerry Reese admitted the team would shy away from in early rounds.

Mock drafts are hard enough to get right without the trades and have a near 0% accuracy rating once you start to include them. This will undoubtedly be another one of those as Reese & Co. will absolutely not be trading up for Ebron. Unless, of course, they do — in which case, Miller will deserve extreme kudos.

Tags: Buffalo, Buffalo Bills, Detroit, Detroit Lions, Eric Ebron, Football, New York, New York Giants, NFL

117 Responses to “Matt Miller Mocks Eric Ebron to New York Giants Following a Trade up to No. 8”

1 2 3 ... 8
  1.  Sintexo says:

I believe we have two 5th rounders now, and no 7th (Beason trade).

2.  BigBlueGiant says:

Look, i highly doubt we trade up for Ebron and not Evans. If we trade up, it will be for Evans, IMO.

I also don’t buy the character issue thing. I think the will be fine.

Funny, the closer we get to the draft, the more i’m hearing Ebron’s name. And this past hour, McShay, Mayock and now this guy has us taking Ebron.

3.  kujo says:

“Weeeeee/Are never ever ever/Gonna Draft a TE in the 1st Round of the NFL Draft”

Sing it with me now!!!!

•  BigBlueGiant says:

i dont think he will be the pick, although I’ve been the leader of the Ebron Train, I’m actually told that he’s HEAVILY in play for us at 12.

dont think we move up though.

4.  Nosh.0 says:

One last pre draft rant and then I promise you won’t hear a peep from me until after our pick.

First the Will Beatty conundrum. I understand the people that think he is still our LT for 2014 and the future. After all, 2013 was just one bad year, and we’re paying the guy big money. But the point me and 55 are making is this, the season that Beatty just had, does not happen in the NFL. It’s one thing to have a down year. It’s quite another to completley melt down. And that’s the worst part, that he wasn’t even hurt. It was all mental breakdowns. From a guy who was 28 years old in his 5th NFL season. Say what you want about David Deihl but if that guy got beat is was purely from a physical standpoint. He was never mentally intimidated.

I remember Accorsi saying that after the Ravens SB he knew he probably couldn’t win a championship with Kerry Collins. The pressure clearly got to him that game. And he made a mental note that if he was ever in position to land a franchise QB he would do it. I have to think Reese had a similar thought in his head when watching Beatty play in 2013. You just can’t trust a guy like that in a big game. And that’s a position you need to be able to rely on.

Then there is the matter of supply and demand. TE’s, Pass rushers, #1 WR’s, can all be found outside the top 12 picks in the draft. Franchise Left Tackles can’t. Those guys go in the top 10-12 picks every single year. The Giants last drafted this high 10 years ago. If we don’t get one this year we’re not getting one.

Justin Pugh is a fine player and should be a part of our OL for years to come. But he’s not as good as any of these 4 guys coming out tonight. And all these players, whatever you think of their varying physical skills, have that mental toughness/nastiness that Will Beatty will never posses.

The pick is a Left Tackle. It has to be.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

not if there’s none available!!!!

And Martin isn’t a true LT. He’s more fitted to play guard. I doubt we take Lewen, bc of his past.

And the other guys will most certainly be gone.

5.  BBWC says:

Matt Miller’s been smoking something!

6.  Jason Chmielewski says:

I’m hoping Lewan or Martin R1 need to go O Line. TE in R2 still tons of big TE talent where we pick in R2

7.  BBWC says:

Here’s my choices for tonight (based off who I think will be available):

1) OT Taylor Lewan or Zack Martin, either one is fine with me.
    2) DT Aaron Donald
    3) WR Odell Beckham
    4) CB Justin Gilbert

Players I’d pass on:

TE Eric Ebron – not that I don’t like him, but I wouldn’t take a TE that high in the draft.
    OLB Anthony Barr – not a good fit.

8.  BigBlueGiant says:

Let’s say Manziel IS there at 12, our 12th pick will be sold to the highest bidder. Might be the best chance to gather up those picks.

9.  BBWC says:

Depending on the situation, I wouldn’t mind us trading down.

What I hope happens is that a combination of newer GMs being unwilling to tie themselves to Lewan and then get slammed for taking a guy with character issues, and a lot of GMs deciding that Martin would be their second choice if they had two first round picks but doesn’t get their team the “umph” that their owner is seeking sees one or both falling to us at #12.

I am starting to feel that one WILL drop. If one does then Reese had better grab him. There is no way I would skip by Lewan because he acted like a sexist **** with a pea for a brain. He didn’t hit anyone (except, possibly, in a barroom brawl) and he didn’t rob anyone. He may be a bit “on the edge”. I can live with that if they’ve evaluated him and think he’s not a bad kid.

•  BigBlueGiant says:

So does it make Will Hill a bad kid because he likes to get stoned? I think Will Hill’s history is A LOT safer than Lewen’s. Unfortunately, the rest of the world doesn’t see it that way, BUT, they’re coming around!

1 2 3 ... 8