In recent days and weeks, Beckham Jr. became a wildly popular name in Giants' circles, with the front office apparently thinking quite "highly" of the youngster. And despite Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin remaining on the board, the Giants opted to go with explosive offense in an effort to fix what co-owner John Mara had called "broken" following the conclusion of the 2013 regular season.
Beckham Jr. was a focal point in the Giants 101 prospect analysis and scouting reports, with Anthony Raia offering the following:
Odell Beckham, Jr., JR, LSU
- Adequate height and bulk, above average speed.
- Excellent release at the line of scrimmage; great acceleration off the line scrimmage.
- Impressive fluidity and explosiveness in and out of his breaks.
- Very good field vision and ability to find soft spots in zone coverage.
- Great timing when going up to make a catch; soft hands.
- Uses body too often to try to get separation.
- Good body control and concentration; inconsistent at catching balls thrown outside his frame.
- Dangerous after the catch; outstanding open field instincts.
- Superb effort in run blocking; lack of top end size and strength limits his effective.
- Could be extremely effective if he lands in the right offensive system.
- Game breaking ability.
Beckham Jr. is not only explosive offensively, but offers the Giants yet another multi-purpose player who has Special Teams and return experience. He'll join a wide receiver unit that also includes Victor Cruz, Jerrel Jernigan, Mario Manningham, Trindon Holiday, Julian Talley, Kris Adams, Marcus Harris, Travis Harvey, Preston Parker and his former LSU teammate, Rueben Randle, who had told members of the media on Wednesday that the team was strongly considering drafting Beckham Jr.
"He's a really a good pick for us," General Manager Jerry Reese said. "He was the highest guy on our board. A dynamic outside receiver.
"This guy's a weapon. [Eli] needs a weapon on the outside."
Reese also said that, despite pre-draft comparisons to Victor Cruz, the two skill sets are vastly different. Beckham Jr. will play on the outside, Cruz on the inside.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Rueben Randle Told Odell Beckham Jr. That New York Giants are Considering Drafting Him
- New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report
- New York Jets Looking to Move Ahead of New York Giants for LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr?
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1atq