2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.

May 8th, 2014 at 9:27 PM

With their first pick (No. 12 overall) in the 2014 NFL Draft, the New York Giants select LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

In recent days and weeks, Beckham Jr. became a wildly popular name in Giants' circles, with the front office apparently thinking quite "highly" of the youngster. And despite Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin remaining on the board, the Giants opted to go with explosive offense in an effort to fix what co-owner John Mara had called "broken" following the conclusion of the 2013 regular season.

Beckham Jr. was a focal point in the Giants 101 prospect analysis and scouting reports, with Anthony Raia offering the following:

Odell Beckham, Jr., JR, LSU

• Adequate height and bulk, above average speed.
  • Excellent release at the line of scrimmage; great acceleration off the line scrimmage.
  • Impressive fluidity and explosiveness in and out of his breaks.
  • Very good field vision and ability to find soft spots in zone coverage.
  • Great timing when going up to make a catch; soft hands.
  • Uses body too often to try to get separation.
  • Good body control and concentration; inconsistent at catching balls thrown outside his frame.
  • Dangerous after the catch; outstanding open field instincts.
  • Superb effort in run blocking; lack of top end size and strength limits his effective.
  • Could be extremely effective if he lands in the right offensive system.
  • Game breaking ability.

Beckham Jr. is not only explosive offensively, but offers the Giants yet another multi-purpose player who has Special Teams and return experience. He'll join a wide receiver unit that also includes Victor Cruz, Jerrel Jernigan, Mario Manningham, Trindon Holiday, Julian Talley, Kris Adams, Marcus Harris, Travis Harvey, Preston Parker and his former LSU teammate, Rueben Randle, who had told members of the media on Wednesday that the team was strongly considering drafting Beckham Jr.

"He's a really a good pick for us," General Manager Jerry Reese said. "He was the highest guy on our board. A dynamic outside receiver.

"This guy's a weapon. [Eli] needs a weapon on the outside."

Reese also said that, despite pre-draft comparisons to Victor Cruz, the two skill sets are vastly different. Beckham Jr. will play on the outside, Cruz on the inside.

Tags: Football, Jerrel Jernigan, Mario Manningham, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Rueben Randle, Zack Martin

174 Responses to “2014 NFL Draft: New York Giants Select LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr.”

1 2 3 ... 10
  1.  Blueandwhiteforever says:

I can’t believe we did this. Martin was sitting right there, and we passed up on him for a clone of Rueben Randle.

•  JBeast3 says:

He isn’t a Randle clone he is more a Mario Manningham clone but faster and more explosive. Good player but not the pick we need

2.  aikitim says:

Didn’t know what to expect or what I wanted Jerry to do. Pick came in. Hoped it was Martin. A bit disappointed, but we needed a play maker, let’s hope Beckham is the truth; I’m trusting Reese on this.

3.  JBeast3 says:

I like him as a player not sure if thats the way the giants should have went. If we draft 2 OL in rounds 2 and 3 then ill be happy. How is he gonna get the ball with Eli on his back all game long?

4.  Dirt says:

Well with McAdoo and OC no longer on the board, I’m cool with anyone.

This tells me that Beatty hid an injury all season last year.

Or they’re out of their fvkin mind not realizing how awful he was.

5.  TroyThorne says:

I’m not surprised at all. This happens every year, the fans obsess over 1 or 2 guys and think they’re a lock for the pick and then the Giants select someone off the radar.

Beckham is a good player and a wide receiver that does it all. I don’t mind the pick at all.

I like him a lot just didn’t think he different enough than what we already have. But he’s pro ready and might be tailor made for the WC offense. Between him Cruz and Jernigan we have great YAC WRs. We are not big but that’s overblown. I’m glad we at least got a player I like. Still think Lee is a little better but I will trust in JR & co.

7.  aikitim says:

Just a thought, this pick seems to me like McAdoo had his fingers all over it. Which, if true, makes me like the pick a lot more than when I posted 45 seconds ago.

I’m amazed. Our OL is crap … and we pass on Martin? No knock on Beckum, who is a fine prospect … but WTF !!!

9.  BillyS says:

It’s not that I hate the pick, but out of all positions I think guard and WR were the deepest in this draft. I’ve seen so many different NFL comparisons on him that it’s hard to peg what he’ll be like. I’ve seen Greg Jennings, a slightly less quick DeSean Jackson, Randall Cobb, and even Marvin Harrison. Maybe he’ll be good, but I think we could have gone another route. We could have done worse though. At least we didn’t get Marqise Lee. Now *that* would have made me mad.

10.  William says:

watch defensive secondary guys go big now.

1 2 3 ... 10