May 7th, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Over the last week, LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has become a popular dark horse name for the New York Giants. And, assuming they are targeting a wide receiver in Round 1, he's a logical candidate at No. 12 when you consider that Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans are likely to already be off the board. However, it now appears the New York Jets are thinking along the same lines and may trade up and move ahead of the Giants to nab Beckham Jr.

"Mentioned earlier the Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on LSU WR Odell Beckham," NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted.

A move into the Top 10 would seem to indicate the Jets believe both Watkins and Evans fly off the board quickly. It would also seem to indicate that they are worried about the Giants and a couple other teams targeting Beckham Jr. once/if the other wide receivers are gone.

"Might be to pass Giants, who love 'em some OBJ," Jordan Raanan of the Star-Ledger tweeted in response to Rapoport.

In addition to OBJ, the Giants are also said to love 'em some Mike Evans and also love 'em some Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin. In other words, there's a lot of news and rumor swirling around, everyone is hearing something different and no one will know what's going to happen until it actually happens.

Tick, tock. Tick, tock. We're getting close now.

Tags: Football, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins

7 Responses to “New York Jets Looking to Move Ahead of New York Giants for LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr?”

1.  BigBlueGiant says:

this would be the best case for the NYG, trade down with the jets or another team desperate to make a trade.

Trade down and draft Kony Ealy or Ebron if he’s still there.

It goes without saying that any team who trades to a spot in front of us does so to get the guy we were going to pick. That’s a given. There’s no other possible reason.

3.  rlhjr says:

I remember seeing Barr and Evans play on the same evening last year.
    I remember posting that same evening that going forward, Jerry Reese should think seriously about making one (at the time both) these young players Giants.

For the most part I feel the same way. Because Evans lines up exclusively on one side of the field he will demand more coaching input and technique.
    But his size and production hint at his becoming a dynamic player.

Barr is as impressive at running back as he is at pass rushing DE/OLB role.
    I would be happy with either of those players in absents of a true stud LOT.

I think Beckham Jr. is Randle ability wise. However, I think he is better disciplined and more mature than Randle. Randle is a physically talented kid. The job with him is to insure his head is screwed on properly.

Donald is indeed an undersized DT. But he would be perfect DE in a 34 scheme. I think he could work pretty well as a DE in a 43 alignment. But why draft a player 12th and move him away from his natural position? I understand teaching him how to slide out to DE situational, but not changing what he’s best at doing. That’s more round hole square peg thinking.

I think Ebron is a true hybrid WR/TE and a stud. If a top notch OT is not available and Ebron is I don’t see Reese passing on him. He’s simply a mismatch for most any player in the opposing teams back seven.

All of that said, one thing is for sure, either this year or next the team needs to find a left tackle that can block effectively for both the pass and the run. And there is no way around that. Martin may be the pick, but he is NOT a 10 year LOT. He’s a damn good guard and that is nothing to sneeze at. But there will be some damn good OG’s available on the second day of this draft.

•  JT Jumbo says:

Beckham is basically Mario Manningham with a little more speed. I don’t think he’s right for the Giants. We have too many of the same player already on the team. If they don’t get Evans forget the WR position. Eli tends to sail his balls up and he needs taller WRs for that.

•  rlhjr says:

Agreed. I forgot about Mario just that fast. Beckham is very very fast and explosive however. Beckham has return skills on par with Wilson.

4.  ERICHONIUS says:

I hope we draft Terrance West from Towson in the middle-late rounds… He absolutely dominated at division I-AA. He was the entire Towson offense. And he even rushed well in the championship against a much better team in the North Dakota state bisons. The bisons probably would have been in a bowl game if they were in the BCS. West is an all round back who has great vision. His weaknesses are his AVERAGE speed and quickness. I say worth a mid-late pick. 83 TD’s in 3 seasons, enough said.