Over the last week, LSU wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has become a popular dark horse name for the New York Giants. And, assuming they are targeting a wide receiver in Round 1, he's a logical candidate at No. 12 when you consider that Clemson wide receiver Sammy Watkins and Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans are likely to already be off the board. However, it now appears the New York Jets are thinking along the same lines and may trade up and move ahead of the Giants to nab Beckham Jr.
"Mentioned earlier the Jets are looking to trade up. Their target is the Top 10, and I’m told they are very hot on LSU WR Odell Beckham," NFL Network's Ian Rapoport tweeted.
A move into the Top 10 would seem to indicate the Jets believe both Watkins and Evans fly off the board quickly. It would also seem to indicate that they are worried about the Giants and a couple other teams targeting Beckham Jr. once/if the other wide receivers are gone.
"Might be to pass Giants, who love 'em some OBJ," Jordan Raanan of the Star-Ledger tweeted in response to Rapoport.
In addition to OBJ, the Giants are also said to love 'em some Mike Evans and also love 'em some Notre Dame offensive lineman Zack Martin. In other words, there's a lot of news and rumor swirling around, everyone is hearing something different and no one will know what's going to happen until it actually happens.
Tick, tock. Tick, tock. We're getting close now.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report
- New York Giants Monday Morning Storylines: Many Changes Ahead for Eli Manning
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1as5