Up until and even including recent weeks, the New York Giants have been routinely tied to North Carolina tight end Eric Ebron, with many mock drafts having him land with Big Blue at the No. 12 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. However, after stating very clearly that he's looking for only "clean" players (ie. no off-field or personality issues) in the first few rounds of the draft, it would appear as if General Manager Jerry Reese may pass on the talented tight end because of some character concerns.
“He's a high maintenance sort of personality. He's a me type of player and he always has been. He's a me type of person on the field and off the field, and I've known this since November," Tony Pauline of Draft Insiders said during a WGR Sports Radio 550 interview. "He's the kind of guy that was complaining when he didn't feel he was getting the ball enough. He's not well liked by all of his teammates. He's not a prima donna, but he's a bit self-centered. I don't know if it's just a maturity question, or that's the way it is. I hear it runs pretty deep.”
Pauline noted that the Giants were among the teams who have backed off a bit on Ebron due to his personality, and that would correlate with a Star-Ledger report that the team had "cooled" on him.
During his Pro Day, Ebron was allegedly seen fooling around, goofing off and joking with the Giants' scouts. At one point he called out to them to ensure they were watching him showcase his skills only to get stone hands and drop three passes. Although it was all fun and games, there's no doubt that exchange was jotted down in their notes.
With two days remaining until they're on the clock, it would appear as if Ebron has found his way to the bottom of the Giants' first-round draft board. Then again, as is the case with most draft-related news, it could be a lot of misinformation and smokescreens.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- North Carolina TE Eric Ebron Says “It Would Be an Honor” to Play for the New York Giants
- New York Giants Select Tight End Eric Ebron in Mel Kiper’s Latest Mock Draft
- Mel Kiper Jr. Mocks Eric Ebron, Xavier Su’a-Filo to New York Giants
- New York Giants Monday Morning Storylines: Aaron Donald or Eric Ebron?
- New York Giants Prefer Zack Martin Over Taylor Lewan; “Cooling” on Eric Ebron: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ar3