As the 2014 NFL Draft draws ever closer, speculation continues to swirl that the New York Giants may go wide receiver with the No. 12 pick. However, much of that speculation has centered around Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans, whom many believe will be off the board when the Giants finally hit the clock.
In the event that's how the draft does shake out, a secondary option at wide receiver might be LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., who has seen his stock rise considerably in recent weeks.
"Every now and then you have a player go in the top 10 (and) nobody saw it coming. How about WR Odell Beckham Jr. from LSU," former scout and current NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "This is a player a lot of people are excited about. And if we see a guy like Sammy Watkins potentially growth that No. 2 overall pick, and then you see Mike Evans go early on, I think Odell Beckham Jr. is next in line. What he can do in the passing game — go up and get the football, run after the catch, can stretch the field vertically, and then the added bonus (is) he's an outstanding returner. So to me, he's a wild-card player. I think people might be shocked on the outside, but a lot of love for him inside the league."
As it turns out, the General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. may be among the teams expressing some of that love for Beckham Jr., as The Star-Ledger reports they "think highly" of the LSU product and may even view him as a legitimate option at No. 12.
The Giants are in that group. They think highly of the explosive wide receiver. That's why he was fifth on our list of most likely players to be selected by the Giants in the first round.
The "list" referenced by The Star-Ledger can be found here.
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants May Consider Trading up for WR Mike Evans: Report
- New York Giants May Target WR Mike Evans in 2014 NFL Draft: Report
- Mike Evans Near Top of New York Giants’ Draft Board; Team “Seriously” Interested: Report
- New York Giants Prefer Zack Martin Over Taylor Lewan; “Cooling” on Eric Ebron: Report
- Mike Mayock Likes Zack Martin, Mike Evans, Eric Ebron for New York Giants with 12th Pick
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aph