New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report

May 5th, 2014 at 1:20 PM

As the 2014 NFL Draft draws ever closer, speculation continues to swirl that the New York Giants may go wide receiver with the No. 12 pick. However, much of that speculation has centered around Texas A&M wide receiver Mike Evans, whom many believe will be off the board when the Giants finally hit the clock.

In the event that's how the draft does shake out, a secondary option at wide receiver might be LSU's Odell Beckham Jr., who has seen his stock rise considerably in recent weeks.

"Every now and then you have a player go in the top 10 (and) nobody saw it coming. How about WR Odell Beckham Jr. from LSU," former scout and current NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah said. "This is a player a lot of people are excited about. And if we see a guy like Sammy Watkins potentially growth that No. 2 overall pick, and then you see Mike Evans go early on, I think Odell Beckham Jr. is next in line. What he can do in the passing game — go up and get the football, run after the catch, can stretch the field vertically, and then the added bonus (is) he's an outstanding returner. So to me, he's a wild-card player. I think people might be shocked on the outside, but a lot of love for him inside the league."

As it turns out, the General Manager Jerry Reese & Co. may be among the teams expressing some of that love for Beckham Jr., as The Star-Ledger reports they "think highly" of the LSU product and may even view him as a legitimate option at No. 12.

The Giants are in that group. They think highly of the explosive wide receiver. That's why he was fifth on our list of most likely players to be selected by the Giants in the first round.

The "list" referenced by The Star-Ledger can be found here.

Tags: Football, Mike Evans, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Odell Beckham Jr., Sammy Watkins

7 Responses to “New York Giants “Think Highly” of LSU WR Odell Beckham Jr: Report”

1.  GIANTT says:

Weve seen it before where one player boosts the stock of another . In this case , Im talking about Mike Evans and Johnny Manziel , so who made the other one better ? Or is it a symbiotic relationship where they BOTH made each other better and playing with others might possibly be a letdown ?

2.  kujo says:

Odell is a very good, very explosive player, who plays with more physicality than his size would have you believe. Watching gametape of him, he reminds me a lot of Greg Jennings, the smoothness of his routes, the way he exploits small angles for big gains.

He’s in that second tier group of players that I’d be excited about beyond the big three (Martin, Ebron and Evans).

•  kujo says:

He’s very versatile, and it’s not difficult to imagine him playing a Randall Cobb-like roll in our offense. Then again, isn’t that what Jernigan is supposed to be?

I guess the issue I have is that he’s another 5’11-6’0 guy. Cruz, Jernigan and Beckham are really all the same guy, and I think we need another X receiver type guy other than Ruben “Retard” Randle.

3.  stuh says:

It seems to me that we have no idea what position the Giants are after with the 12th pick. So unless there is a top pick that slips through then it’s hard to speculate who they will draft . I don’t think they are looking at a player because his skills include returns. They addressed that in free agency.

4.  Begiant says:

Hopefully the Giants like him so much that another team trades up with us to land him.

Regardless, I am really hoping Ka’deem Carey falls in the draft. I think he has a lot of talent and would be a good fit in our offense, however with the needs we have I can’t justify taking a RB early. I the earliest I would grab him is in the late third off a trade back, but I am hoping he lasts until the fourth. I think he would be great in our running scheme and he can definitely catch a screen pass.

Beckham and Lee are both very good receivers who can play the X-receiver position though they aren’t particularly big. But there have been an awful lot of great #1 receivers in the NFL who weren’t much over 6′ tall. I consider both of them very much in play as the #12 pick. Personally, if you can’t get Watkins in this draft I think there are enough questions about every one of the other WRs that I’d be perfectly happy getting one in the second or third round. Robinson, Donte Moncreif, Davanta Adams or Kelvin Benjamin in the second seem to me like reasonable targets.

•  BillyS says:

If Robinson was available in the 3rd I would be ecstatic. I’m not really a fan of Kelvin Benjamin. I just feel like he plays way too stiff and could easily be defended. The ceiling isn’t there; he reminds me of Ramses Barden way too much. Now Beckham is another story. He isn’t exactly tall, but the guy plays taller than he is. I really like him. I’d say I probably like him more than any WR other than Sammy Watkins. But that doesn’t mean I’d want the Giants to take him that early. If we didn’t have so many needs than sure…but we have bigger needs.