From the very moment the sun rose on Sunday, May 4th you were undoubtedly bombarded with "May the 4th be with you" references. This, of course, is because May 4th has now unofficially become "Star Wars Day" in the land of the Internet and on the televisions of proud fans across the world. That was not lost on NFL Network, who brilliantly tied together two wonderful things: Star Wars and the NFL Draft for the first annual Star Wars Mock Draft.
The rules of the mock draft were simple: teams select in the same order as they will in the 2014 NFL Draft and are free to select anyone from the Star Wars universe.
Surprisingly, it was Chewbacca who first came off the board to the Houston Texans, followed by General Grievous to the St. Louis Rams. At No. 12, the New York Giants did what they do best and took the best
player character left on the board: Yoda.
The Giants get one of the best values in the first round when Yoda falls into their lap. Sure, there might be concerns about his height and some of the other measurables. But nobody on this list has more fight, heart and intangibles than Yoda. He might not have a true position or fill an obvious need for the Giants. But to land him at No. 12 is too great to pass up.
Although a bit older than some of the others selected, Yoda is renowned as the most powerful of all Jedi Masters, was a high-ranking General of the Clone Troopers and, well, is easily one of the most badass warriors in all of the Star Wars universe.
Other notable selections are as follows:
- No. 4 – Cleveland Browns select Hans Solo
- No. 6 – Atlanta Falcons select Boba Fett
- No. 7 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Obi-Wan Kenobi
- No. 8 – Minnesota Vikings select Luke Skywalker
- No. 10 – Detroit Lions select Darth Vader
- No. 13 – St. Louis Rams select Anakin Skywalker
- No. 16 – Dallas Cowboys select Jar Jar Binks (that seems about right)
- No. 18 – New York Jets select Wedge Antilles
- No. 21 – Green Bay Packers select R2-D2
- No. 22 – Philadelphia Eagles select Kit Fisto
As one long-time Giants 101 reader (Kujo) asked, does all of this now make today "Revenge of the 5th?"
- Be sure to like Giants 101 on Facebook, follow Giants 101 on Twitter & +1Giants 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Giants Select Tight End Eric Ebron in Mel Kiper’s Latest Mock Draft
- New York Giants Thursday Morning Storylines: More Pre-Draft Visits, More New Mock Drafts
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ap4