New York Giants Select Yoda at No. 12 in Star Wars Mock Draft

May 5th, 2014 at 9:00 AM

From the very moment the sun rose on Sunday, May 4th you were undoubtedly bombarded with "May the 4th be with you" references. This, of course, is because May 4th has now unofficially become "Star Wars Day" in the land of the Internet and on the televisions of proud fans across the world. That was not lost on NFL Network, who brilliantly tied together two wonderful things: Star Wars and the NFL Draft for the first annual Star Wars Mock Draft.

The rules of the mock draft were simple: teams select in the same order as they will in the 2014 NFL Draft and are free to select anyone from the Star Wars universe.

Surprisingly, it was Chewbacca who first came off the board to the Houston Texans, followed by General Grievous to the St. Louis Rams. At No. 12, the New York Giants did what they do best and took the best player character left on the board: Yoda.

The Giants get one of the best values in the first round when Yoda falls into their lap. Sure, there might be concerns about his height and some of the other measurables. But nobody on this list has more fight, heart and intangibles than Yoda. He might not have a true position or fill an obvious need for the Giants. But to land him at No. 12 is too great to pass up.

Although a bit older than some of the others selected, Yoda is renowned as the most powerful of all Jedi Masters, was a high-ranking General of the Clone Troopers and, well, is easily one of the most badass warriors in all of the Star Wars universe.

Other notable selections are as follows:

• No. 4 – Cleveland Browns select Hans Solo
  • No. 6 – Atlanta Falcons select Boba Fett
  • No. 7 – Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Obi-Wan Kenobi
  • No. 8 – Minnesota Vikings select Luke Skywalker
  • No. 10 – Detroit Lions select Darth Vader
  • No. 13 – St. Louis Rams select Anakin Skywalker
  • No. 16 – Dallas Cowboys select Jar Jar Binks (that seems about right)
  • No. 18 – New York Jets select Wedge Antilles
  • No. 21 – Green Bay Packers select R2-D2
  • No. 22 – Philadelphia Eagles select Kit Fisto

As one long-time Giants 101 reader (Kujo) asked, does all of this now make today "Revenge of the 5th?"

Tags: Dallas, Dallas Cowboys, Football, New York, New York Giants, New York Jets, NFL, Philadelphia, Philadelphia Eagles

18 Responses to “New York Giants Select Yoda at No. 12 in Star Wars Mock Draft”

But much like Aaron Donald, many wonder if he’s big enough to play the position.

2.  Begiant says:

Mace Windu would have been better value, but I am not complaining

3.  kujo says:

Nice h/t, Benton.

4.  kujo says:

Somewhere, Nosh is upset that we didn’t a black guy.

•  Krow says:

Jar Jar Binks … Caribbean and geh too !!! “Oh. Yousa point is well seen. This way. Hurry!”

•  JT Jumbo says:

Naw, Nosh is steaming pissed that we didn’t pick Jobba the Hut to play oline

5.  GIANTT says:

I can see him as a short yardage back . In the huddle , “may the force be with you ” and the linemen actually get good blocks and he hides behind those LARGE linemen and goes into any hole he wants . Of course , he would have to give up that Jets green look .

6.  GIANTT says:

Somebody make him blue , please

7.  kujo says:

Thursday night can go any one of several ways, but I doubt very much doubt that any of the following players will be available to us at #12:

Jake Matthews
    Sammy Watkins
    Mike Evans
    Jake Lewan
    Khalil Mack
    Jadaveon Clowney
    Johnny Manziel
    Blake Bortles
    Anthony Barr

That’s 9 guys you can pretty much cross off your list. Add in one of the two better DBs, and possibly 1 of the other 2 QBs (Bridgewater and Carr) and that’d be what we’re looking at at 12. If any of the non-QBs above were to be available when we pick, I don’t even think it would be a question; they’d be Giants.

Knowing this, I don’t see how anyone can say that it’s between Ebron and Martin. One is arguably the best pass-catcher in the draft, and the other is an offensive lineman who has Big Blue written all over him–he’s from Notre Dame, he plays several positions of need, and he does so in a solid, unspectacular way. To me, it’s a no brainer.

But I can absolutely see a scenario where both Ebron and Martin are gone at 12, leaving us with very little in the way of value OR need-based picks. That being said, here are a list of guys I could see being in-play in this nightmare scenario:

1) Kony Ealy (A 6’5 DE with long arms? Yup!)
    2) Haha Clinton-Dix (Will Hill’s misanthropy might force our hands here)
    3) CJ Mosley (Truly unlikely, but hey–why not?)
    4) Darqueze Dennard/Justin Gilbert (Either or both could be available, and you can never have enough top-notch defensive backs)
    5) Aaron Donald (I don’t see what all the fuss is about, but he’s basically what we though we were getting with Austin, so maybe we roll the dice again?)

Totally agree. But if no one takes the extra QBs and what we’re looking at is your list, I sure hope someone wants one of those guys badly enough to trade up so Reese can trade down and get an extra pick. I doubt it because I don’t think any of those you note are sure things, but it would be very nice if it happened. Just for kicks, I’d like to think we could get an extra third rounder, move down only 3-4 picks, then take Su’a-Filo, Lee, or Clinton-Dix with our first pick.

I’m getting a slightly sick feeling that the pick is going to be Ealy or Donald, and I think that would be a mistake.

•  kujo says:

I wish I had any confidence that Reese would trade down, but he’s so stubborn in his “take the value” approach that I think he’d just stay put and take whoever was “best” on his sanctified board.

Now, there are a number of the above that would look great in blue. I like Ealy’s frame and potential, but picking him at 12 is a reach. Both CBs, and the safety, would add weapons to areas you really can’t have enough of. I don’t see the Alabama LB as a realistic possibility, but you can’t argue with his production or his athleticism. And Donald…sigh…looks like he’s a realistic option, despite the fact that I think he is being WILDLY overrated.

But really, if we pick a defensive player at 12, I think the next 3 picks will be offensive guys, for reasons I laid out below. We gotta restock that side of the ball, especially with this new-look offense coming into town.

8.  kujo says:

I go back to a question I have asked every offseason since 2009 or so:

“What is our identity?”

In the past, we were a run-first team, allowing us to make paydirt out of the play-action. In the later years of Gilbride’s tenure, we evolved into a team with lots of vertical, downfield passes. Of course, we all know that that model seemed to breakdown last year, when Nicks’ no-show, combined with the loss of anything resembling respectability along the OL, really stifled our ability to move the ball.

Gilbride is canned, and in comes McAdoo’s heretofore-unknown offensive scheme.

If our new OC’s time in Green Bay is any indication, this new offensive, much like our old one, will rely on establishing a rhythm. In order to do that successfully, our QB has to remain upright, as Rodgers’ first couple of years in the NFL proves. We then need to have receivers who can reliably catch the ball, a TE who can be an effective and disruptive (albeit not necessarily dominant) downfield threat, and a running game that can get the job down while facilitating the forward momentum of the vertical game.

Looking at that, do we know for sure that we have, like, ANY of the ingredients for this new offensive? I mean, Cruz is a beast, and I like Randle, and was encouraged by Jernigan’s emergence last year, but I don’t see the latter two becoming WR1 anytime soon. We have diddly-squat at TE, and lots of questions at RB. The only area that we’ve improved is along the OL, but we all know the tinderbox our OL is right now.

This is why I think no less than 3 of our first 4 picks picks will go towards the offense: OL, WR, TE, RB….it’s all in play.

Yes, the offense MUST be emphasized in the draft (and don’t forget UDFAs as well), but I’m definitely sticking with the need for TWO offensive linemen. I really like what they did in free agency to address the garbage we had at those positions previously, but it still isn’t nearly enough. You and I started talking about this need years ago. I thought that Baas would be better and hoped Beatty would develop. Now I think I may be the biggest skeptic in regard to Beatty around here. He was so AWFUL last season that his ceiling looks like “adequate” to me, and “adequate” isn’t what you need at left tackle.

We very obviously need an X-receiver. I REALLY like Lee from USC and think he is being terribly underrated as everyone focuses on Evans’ size. Obviously Watkins is the potentially great one, but we’re not getting near him. The good news? There are plenty of potentially excellent wide receivers who will be available in rounds 2-3. We’re going to need to select one within the first three rounds.

At tight end give me someone from the third or fourth (or fifth) rounds. Green Bay’s offense was wildly explosive when they: 1) Kept Rodgers upright; 2) Gave him at least four legitimate targets on every pass play; 3) Included among those targets good, but not great, tight ends and running backs; and 4) Ran effectively enough to allow for a reasonably balanced offense that still emphasized the pass more than will a Coughlin-coached team. There is no need to grab Ebron. Fiedorowicz would be more than good enough.

And my view is that running back is being downgraded too much now as everyone decides they can find a decent one under any rock and is paying too little attention to the enormous depth of talent at that position in this draft. The teams that get Hyde, Sankey and Mason (probably in the second round) are getting absolute steals. Hell, you can probably get Storm Johnson in the 5th or 6th round, and he looks to me like a potentially VERY good NFL running back. The Giants will need to take one somewhere in this draft and they should get a good player.

9.  wlubake says:

I haven’t been around much recently, but stop by for the occasional article of substance (like the Star Wars mock draft). I haven’t seen word of it, so I thought I’d ask: are we doing our reader mock-off again this year? That may be my favorite post of the year.